AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6000 won't remapp PBS. I called my local PBS, and they said that there is nothing they can do, that the national feed contains the remapping data, and they can't change it. I tried switching the box to cable, but it still won't work. Can anybody get HD-PBS on their 6000.

I called Dish tech support, and wasted over an hour. Apparently, only one tech in all of E* knows anything about digital broadcasting, and he refuses to take calls from end users. The Dish rep tried to confince me that this was the "well known" switches to channel 938 in favorites bug. UGGGGGHHHHHH! It took me 20 minutes to convince her that this was the not so well known "can't map PBS to channel 80 bug".

I doubt Dish will ever fix this. Does anyone else like to watch HD PBS?

·
Registered
539 Posts
In the NY area, 61 is WNET which my 6000 locks on and saves. It does remap the guide to say 13 (which is the analog number) but the digital channel displays in all its glory.

Fox (digital) on the other hand has been swapping back and forth between 5 & 44. I'm clueless as to why.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get OTA HD from our local station in Seattle, using the E*6000. It is spectacular - the best HD I have seen except for the Cubs game on the demo channel. It remaps to the analogue channel, but that does not effect the reception in any way.

------------------

All help appreciated

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox:
Can anybody get HD-PBS on their 6000.
I sure can... sometimes even 2 of them (one Durham, NH, and "if the atmospherics are right", Springfield, MA). And yes they are worth watching!!!

As to your problem, can you be a little more explict on what you have set-up for channels?

I doubt that you have multiple channels that map to 80, so lets troubleshoot the single channel mapping to 80 case:

First go into system menu, installation, HDTV set-up, and verify that you have "Cable" selected. Then Cancel, and select Local Channels. Once inside Local Channels, note all your current channels. Then remove all of them by checking them and pressing "Remove". With all channels removed, select "Add DTV", and enter in the broadcast channel number for your PBS station. Check that the signal strength is fairly stable. A "pulsing" signal strength might be a clue to the dreaded multipath. (Note: This is the place to "peak" for the most stable signal reading!) Is the signal bar green and indicate "Locked" ? Keep watching the signal bar for a full minute or so to verify it is reasonably stable. Is it? What is the range of signal quality values? Underneath the signal meter the virtual channel will appear...note that number. For both my PBS-HD stations, it is 80. What is the virtual channel number for your PBS station? Continue on giving the channel a name, and save it. When it comes back...[which might take several seconds], cancel out of all the menus.

You should be at the selected station. Press the "View" button on the remote, to bring up the channel data pop-up and check the signal strength and stability. Is it above 50 with minimal fluctuations? Also on the channel data pop-up in the upper right corner, it should have "80-03"

and "PBS1D" underneath it. What do you see?

The answers to the above will let us know where there's a problem. From there we'll be able to help either directly or being able to translate the problem to Dish Network lingo. [I've learned that walking them down a checklist helps keep them focused on the path to a problem.]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.