AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been comparing the diff. On my Tosh 34" I think using the SD mode (S-Video) looks better than HD (Component) for regular programming (non 1080i/480p material). Does anyone have any opinions on this? It's a pain to switch between inputs on my Tosh. but @ least the majority of viewing (non ATSC) will look better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with you (sd looks better on mostly everything except HD programming). Maybe the real question is what is Can the toshiba remote be set to skip directly to one of the video inputs, instead of single stepping slowly through them?

------------------

Remove nospam and reply to [email protected]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
God I wonder if your 'remote' idea is possible. If it were, I would definitely be in SD mode 95% of the time. The reason I'm not is because it seems like a major effort to get my better half just to, say switch from HBO-E to HDBOHD. If I were to be in SD mode, switching inputs (as slow as it is) would make him get up a leave the room. So if I have any chance of us enjoying any HD content, I have no choice but to leave it in HD mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree. I have just activated a E*6000 and the non-HD content on the HD setting appears soft. The signal taken

off the"S" output processed through my external Dwin

transcanner seems sharper, better, and in my system, allows

for control of color and hue. Any opinions on quality

of images delivered by other SD receivers relative to

the 6000 model? Any high end receivers for Dish-HD in the

wings? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Well, if you are going through a DWIN then you are in a whole new ballpark (quality & cost).

I have a Pronto & it does all the appropriate steps to switch from HD to SD and back (which I used to do, particularly to let the set use TW2 to watch SD letterbox films on AMC, FMC, TCM, etc.)

The Dish 6000 SW update has made the quality difference negligible, IMHO, to the point I actually prefer HD setting all the time.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.