Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if other E* 6000 owners are seeing any of these problems:

1. After watching OTA for an extended period, when I switch back to HBO-HD or another premium, the box will say that I am not currently authorized to view this program. The message box will flash briefly every 5 seconds or so, and after about 20-30 seconds the selected programming will commence, and I'll have no further problems.

2. If I leave the system set to an OTA channel overnight that is having reception problems, I will often find that the box has locked up by the morning. I can usually get it back by pressing and holding the front panel power switch to cause a reboot, but sometimes I actually have had to unplug the unit from the wall.

3. Sometimes when watching OTA TV the unit reboots for no apparent reason. Usually it is when I try to change channels, but I can think of at least one occasion when it happened without any external stimulus. As with the problem above, it seems to be caused or exacerbated by viewing a station being received with less than perfect reception.

Do any of these symptoms seem familiar? I am wondering if they are bugs in the software, or flaky hardware.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had the unit freeze up on me when there has been a sputter in the OTA signal. It seems like I just started having this problem within the past couple of weeks. I've had to cut the power to the 6000 to force a reboot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you leave on all night on a station with bad reception, it will crash. I've seen my unit crash once when getting corrupted data. But why would you want to leave you system on a bad channel all night anyway?

This is the type of thing that will happen with computer based appliances . . . especially ones that have to digest very fast and error prone data streams. No testing simulation can ever possibly test for every possible different input data stream.

I haven't seen the other problems you mentioned but I have had my system turn off by itself . . . but I think that was just a UHF remote war with some unknown neighbor.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The good news is that the module only cost $100.

The bad news is you get what you pay for.

Mine locks up frequently.

SM

·
Registered
858 Posts
These units are very flaky! In regards to the error you get when you switch back to the DSS side. E* is changing their decrypt keys every day to fight the hackers. The error 005 will display until your unit accepts these new keys. When the unit is on OTA the satellite side is turned off which blocks the unit from receiving these keys. I wish E* would work harder on fixing their firmware in these flaky receivers instead of wasting so much time and money on fighting the hackers. They have spent more time and have made several firmware updates just to fight the hackers yet have done very little to help the paying customers with their buggy receivers! I read somewhere that they even have a version of firmware written for each receiver to destroy them if it detects a hacked card.

E* is starting to get a bad name. I bet the new 701 HDTV Dish Pro recorder unit will be the worst of all. They better start taking care of their customers!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jrichards (edited 05-10-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.