AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been able to get mine to work. I have a very large living room and I just assume that the vcr is not getting a strong signal from the 6000. The only way I can get it to work is to hold something in front of both units (a large pad of paper) - not a very practical solution. Maybe if the units were inside a cabinet behind glass doors they might work?

------------------

wayne-o

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've never tried with my 6000 but had similar problems with my 4700 receiver. In both cases the satellite receivers were located 22' feet away from the opposite wall requiring a 44' IR signal "round-trip" to hit the VCR's IR receiver. It would work on occasion but not reliably enough to be useful.

What would be really nice is for Echostar to include a Xantech compatible IR out jack on the rear of the unit. This would allow connecting a small IR emitter to the IR receiver of the VCR eliminating the "opposite wall" distance issue.

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have never had problems with my Sony VCR, sitting on the same shelf, 2' apart, in a 16'x20' room. The signal from the 6000 is more powerful than the remote. The only thing I don't like, is you have to leave the VCR 'ON' in order for the 6000 to control it. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
...The only thing I don't like, is you have to leave the VCR 'ON' in order for the 6000 to control it. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
Yup. All the satellite receiver does is send a "record" ir signal (out it's IR Blaster) to the VCR. So if your vcr doesn't start to record if it's powered off, it'll do the same when the sat receiver does it' thing.

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a new DSS user, and appreciate all the info I got from this forum. Just installed a 6000 system but cannot get the VCR setup to work. E* replaced the receiver with a new one (IR Blaster problem) but the new one only randomly sets the VCR, and only when they are facing each other.

Anybody have experience, suggestions with this feature?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.