AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When receiving an analog off-air broadcast, does the 6000 receiver scale up to HD, or is analog only available in SD

·
Registered
172 Posts
Although I've found that the 6000 does a less than desirable job of displaying non-HD material. Dish stations come across softer than on my entry-level E* 301 receiver.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My 6000 is set to output in 1080i. EVERYTHING is upconverted to 1080i to send to my TV. It was reported that analog to 1080i conversion was not great in the 6000. A more recent 6000 software release helped this. Personally, I don't ever tune analog signals as all L.A. stations are digital. Some go off the air digitally early and I don't watch them at those times.

Enterprise on UPN is letterboxed 16x9 in a 4x3 picture. The 6000 does a bad job of streaching this to fill my 16x9 screen. So when watching Enterprise I switch to SD on the 6000, S-video inputs in my TV, and streach the picure in my TV.

Rick R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I also have a dish 6000 and will be purchasing the tuner soon. Presently I only use it for SD satellite programming.

Why can't you use the remote or the switch on the front of the box to switch between HD and SD for the appropriate material? Wouldn't this help with the softness of the picture?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Millsjr,

Many do exactly what you suggest. I have done it myself on ocassion. However, the difference is slight.

Like I said, I use the SD/HD switch and use the S-video only so my TV will expand the picture instead of the 6000. This is because the TV does a better job of expanding the 16x9 image to fill the screen of my set.

Rick R

·
Registered
570 Posts
The bottom line is that an SD signal line doubled by the DTV looks better than the same signal upconverted to 1080I by the Dish 6000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.