AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What it allows you to do is record a program without using the precious hard drive until you NEED to. If the program you recorded on the DVD- Ram disc stinks you erase. Ram discs are supposed to last for 100,000 burns. If you like it and want to keep it then you can burn to HDD and then burn to the cheaper DVD-R disc. Those +RW and -RW discs cost a lot more if you want to keep that recording. Is there a Sony that will do this? Pioneer, Toshiba? This is very valuable for certain programs you record in your absence but really are uncertain how good they are. This happens constantly. Ram is good Baby. And to top it off I believe, if it is one hour or less done High speed, the dub is lossless unlike any other dvdr can do. I can think of several great one hour News documentries or great Mad TV episodes where this would come in very handy. I realize a lot of you veterans know this but since we have newbies on this board every day it cannot hurt to elucidate again. Bottom line -you can save the hard drive and use the portable Ram drive to save,record,erase, input to Hard drive and burn what you want and delete.-whatever- it makes a non hard drive DVDR seem worthless. No, They already ARE.

PS I hope no one brings up the tivo that loses big time in transfer and absolutely cannot do what the E-80 can- in fact even the new cable or sat ones this year cannot. Tivo resolution sucks and cannot burn a 2 or 3 hour movie as the E-80 can. These Tivo people are on something illegal.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I have just some basic HDD questions for any recorders that have them. What exactly do you do after you record to the hard disk and then decide you want to make dvd-r discs? I assume it does not just unload the entire hard drive. If you had a lot recorded, it obviously would not fit on a disc. So do you somehow manually set up which things on the hard disc you want to transfer to dvd-r? You make your own titles and chapters? You put them in any order you want and delete commercials and then you dub it?

thanks

As for your questions, the first Toshiba with the HDD will be out in March and it appears the first Sony with a HDD will not even be out until the Fall or at LEAST thee Summer. I can't wait that long. So I will either get the Toshiba in March or the Sony with no HDD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BASHERS33
I have just some basic HDD questions for any recorders that have them. What exactly do you do after you record to the hard disk and then decide you want to make dvd-r discs? I assume it does not just unload the entire hard drive. If you had a lot recorded, it obviously would not fit on a disc. So do you somehow manually set up which things on the hard disc you want to transfer to dvd-r? You make your own titles and chapters? You put them in any order you want and delete commercials and then you dub it?
The answer to all your questions is YES. You can divide content into programs, edit commercials, create chapters (with some coveats), set titles and setup record lists.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey, HoustonGuy, try to think things through before becoming so pedantic.

I own an E-80, and for my personal needs find the HDD invaluable. But on the other hand, some casual users may never really need a HDD.

As for the Tivo, I love my Directv combo unit. With such a unit there is NO loss of quality. If I dub a program saved on the Tivo, it's EXACTLY the same as dubbing a live program. I won't bother explaining why because I don't want to come off as being overly pedantic. :)

The Tivo gives me the option to save programs until it's convenient for me to dump them onto the HDD for editing, etc. IMHO, Tivo (combo unit) and the E-80 is a marriage made in heaven. :)

Happy Haranguing!

Peter M

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Videonut thanks for helping me sorta understand what houston was saying. And I didn't even have any of that illegal stuff he was talking about.

I've dubbed only about 25 or so disk but a comparison between E80, tivo and the -R showed me that they quality was equal across everything. The only thing I noticed was that watching tivo thru the E80 had a poorer pic but the -R of the same material from tivo was fine. I haven't figured that out yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.