AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the E-80 and I have a Sony SLV-D300P DVD Player. I got the Sony last October. I notice the DVD's I burn on the E-80 look a lot better when I play them on the E-80. When I play them on the Sony or even a different DVD Player in another room I notice the Menu is kind of fuzzy and the movie is slightly blurred or just not as good as it looks when you play it back on the E-80. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Joe

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
I had the E80H before and the picture was always very sharp, never dull or fuzzy.

Perhaps it's a cabling issue?

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
yes, it may be a cabling issue. Are both units hooked to the TV (same TV) via the same type of cable (I.e. s-video, component, etc)?

Do you run either of them through a switch or a receiver before getting to the TV?

I have the E80 and Sony DVP-NC665P (5 disc changer) and can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both hooked up to the same TV (Sony 30 inch wide screen XBR WEGA) via Component cables, if I turn off Progressive Scan on the Sony it looks ok and the menu isn't fuzzy anymore but theres no progressive scan button on the remote and you have to stop the dvd to switch modes. Retail DVD's and DVD's backed up with my Plextor +R DVD burner look perfect on the Sony with Progressive scan on.

-Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Menus look a little fuzzy on my other dvd player, but only because it's connected to my tv via an RCA/composite cable. When my other player is connected to the tv via S-video, or run through the line input of my panasonic, they look crisp and clean. I'd look into your connections.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by shutterbug
My Menus look a little fuzzy on my other dvd player, but only because it's connected to my tv via an RCA/composite cable. When my other player is connected to the tv via S-video, or run through the line input of my panasonic, they look crisp and clean. I'd look into your connections.
They are both Progressive Scan DVD Players using the component 3 wire $60 Monster Cable from best buy for video then separate audio. Commercial DVD's and copies made on my PC look awesome. So it's just the DVD-R copies from the E-80 for some reason in progressive scan mode. Like I was saying if I turn progressive scan off then it's better. It's just weird.

-Joe

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are there any settings on the Sony for different transfer modes (i.e. Film, Video, Auto, etc). Maybe you have the player set to film mode when it should be video or auto. Just a thought.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the E80H and a Sony DVP NS755V and I used to notice the same thing. I don't have a progressive ready TV. It's a WEGA and I used to notice that the DVD-R menus were a tad fuzzy using the Sony for playback. I think that this went away when I started using component from the Sony player to the TV. I was using S-video and had the compenents on the E80H. Both went directly to the TV. I just swiched the order. Things seem pretty good now. My TV only has one S-vid and one Component input. I had to do some switching around in order to figure out what looked best all around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Don't forget the PQ tweaks that help the PQ on composite out. These are real-time post-processing tweaks native to the E80 playback, and are not burned into the DVD, so consequently one cannot benefit from them when played on a player without such tweaks. That will make a difference.

Also, be sure you are not comparing XP/SP on one setup to LP/EP on the other, as the resolution is not as good and menus will indeed look fuzzy. Neither of these is likely what's going on, but still might be something to consider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.