AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it still possible to sell CRT parts on e-bay?

I listed some tubes, someone from who knows where bought them. The advertisement ends of course and the buyer is some guy that has all these red flags flying aound him from e-bay. The big one is that he has been put on a restriction by e-bay.

So I relist the item only to find more scammers e-mailing me. The usual stuff, I'm from Mars and would like to send you cash, but it's tied up right now so will you send me the tubes first and could you include a few extra bucks as I need to get out of jail and that will only cost me $10,000 US and I will gladly pay you double on Tuesday for a hamburger... I tell them to go away, but what can I do if they buy the item? Just keep relisting them?

Why does e-bay even allow these guys to bid?

Deron.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Where is the problem? Tell them to pay and wait - if they will not pay relist it and give them red point.

BTW i do not see anything wrong on sending cash, when sending small amount it is the only rational way of payment. I am really tired of people refusing cash. And overseas bidders. They are sooo stupid. They obviously want to get less money for the item.

One payment on the way so pray with me! :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I don't know how to avoid the sludge on E-bay except to avoid e-bay. You would think that with CRT "dying" and all these low-lifes would have moved on to something else like laptop computers. My only suggestion is determine what price you really want to get for the items and list it on videogon.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I sent you a PM with a link to the way I handle the scammers. I have yet to hear from them on my auctions anymore, either during or after the auction. Sometimes you have to beat a scumbuckets to the punch. In your description you leave yourself wide open but that's not your fault, its just the times that we live in.

My most recent auction was won by a bidder with zero feedback but payment was sent overnight so not all low feedback customers are bad customers. We all started out with zero feedabck. Set your preferences to exclude certain bidders / negative feedback ratings, country etc..hide your email in the contact/respond area until you are comfortable with the bidder.

My 2 cents..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well this is interesting, e-bay is a public auction system.

Hence the highest bidder is entitled to the purchase.

Any reason to deny them the purchase except for them not willing to pay is a valid reason to give you the bad reference IMHO.

I mean look at it from the other side, say you place a bet on a CRT projector, you win the auction but now the seller backs out and then relists it? Would you not think he deserves a bad reference?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think you're missing the point, with all due respect.

He is referring to a bidder who has placed a bid and was put on restriction which means he probably placed the bid before the restriction took place. Bad bidder, he had to relist. Ebay restricted him for a reason. A relist is perfectly legit.

e-bay has in there settings who you can accept bids from. Anyone who places an auction has these options you CAN choose who you will sell to, to some extent.

Nobody is talking about the seller backing out of an auction, or refusing to sell an item to a legitimate bidder, this is a flake bidder who did not honor his bid. Now the item has to be re-listed. It happens all the time unfortunatly, read the negative feedbacks.

The other issue is these scam artists you DO NOT HAVE TO PLAY THE VICTIM!

Unless of course that's your thing, More power to you.

Deron, you did nothing wrong and yes you can sell PJ parts on ebay. Money. That is why they alow them to bid. Every transaction is a money maker for e-bay, good or bad.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Sounds like deronmoped was referring to a 419 scam.

The 419 scammers are EVERYWHERE... eBay, Videogon, everywhere.

My neighbor listed a car with a blown transmission on an enthusiast web site (mitsu fans: dsmtrader.com) for parts only: The only responses they've gotten were from The Honorable Mbutu Unpronouncable wondering whether their could be shipped to Nigeria by their shipper with western union...

yada yada yada All Y'all know the formula.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.