AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think I know what I want now, but I need your help figuring out exactly how to get it.

Here's what I want to do: I have two separate rooms, one with an HDTV and one with an older TV. For the HDTV room, I have an NEC LT150 hooked up through a DVDO IScan Pro. For this I was planning to get a Dish Model 6000 with the added ability to receive OTA signals. Do I hook this up through the IScan or directly to the PJ?

For the older non-HDTV, what Dish receiver do I need? Will it use the same dish or do I need to get 2? What is the extra charge on a monthly basis for having a 2nd receiver?

Do HDTV and SDTV signals come off different satellites such that I'd need two dishes anyway? I've heard some odd things in this forum and others that have only confused this matter further for me, so I'd appreciate any clarification you guys can offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm not familiar with the IScan, so I can't help you with that part, but with Dish, here is what I can tell you.....
Quote:
For the older non-HDTV, what Dish receiver do I need? Will it use the same dish or do I need to get 2? What is the extra charge on a monthly basis for having a 2nd receiver?

Do HDTV and SDTV signals come off different satellites such that I'd need two dishes anyway?
Any Dish receiver available will work. The 4900 has some features that are nice--UHF remote (can change channels in another room, so you can hook up more that one set) and it has the newer graphics (OpenTV, I believe) which will allow you to get local weather, similar to the local breaks on the Weather Channel, which you won't get on satellite.

For the non-HD channels you can use a single Dish 300 dish, so long as it has a dual LNB (2 feeds for two STB's). If you want to get the Dish 150 package (more channels) or the local channels, you will need the Dish 500 dish which has 2 dual LNBs, since you need to view more than one satellite. If you go that route, there is a dish called the twin which combines both LNB's into one package, which makes wiring easy, only one cable to each receiver. A second receiver costs about $5.00 per mo.

To get the HD channels, you do need a second dish to view yet a third satellite. This one is to the southeast, while the main satellites are to the southwest. The wiring is combined using a switch which will select the appropriate satellite for the channel and receiver you are watching. The specific switch is determined by the type of main dish you get.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

Thanks; that helped quite a bit. I am looking into the 100 channel deal for $9/mo, so I guess I don't need that twin dish. But I will need the extra dish for HD channels.

One more point I'm unclear on... to get the local channels, I have to pay another $5/mo. However, I don't get them through the dish then, but rather through an antenna. Is that correct? Is there any way to receive them directly through the dish?

Also, if anybody has some info on the DVDO IScan issue I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Technically, you don't need a Dish500 if all you want is AT100 (the I like 9 promotion). However, Dish isn't selling anything BUT Dish500's as new units. Besides, getting the Dish500 "future-proofs" your system - you don't know when you would be so glad you got it (they may move programming around, etc. Also, you get more HBO/SHO SD programming with the Dish500. Most locals also require a Dish500 - NYC (and LA) may not, but that may change later.

Since you want 2 rooms, and one of them being the 6000 for HDTV, what you need to get are -

1 Dish6000 (OTA module optional - but I would go ahead and get - then you can use it for OTA HDTV as well)

1 other receiver - could be any other receiver Dish has (2nd room)

1 Dish500 with the TWIN LNB

1 18" dish with a Dual LNB (for Dish's HDTV programming on 61.5)

1 SW21 (use this to join the 18" dish and the Dish500 output to your 6000). A 2nd SW21 could be used as well for your 2nd room if desired

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
One more point I'm unclear on... to get the local channels, I have to pay another $5/mo. However, I don't get them through the dish then, but rather through an antenna. Is that correct? Is there any way to receive them directly through the dish?
If you use an antenna on (or in) your house, then you do not pay the $5.00. The extra charge is for the local channels via satellite. You do not get them all, but generally it is the ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox stations from your area. So if you are able to get good reception in you area with an antenna, use it. You will need it anyway to get the local HD channels for your 6000. (I assume that was your plan. Remember to do so you will have to purchase the optional 8-VSB module for the 6000. It tunes in both the HD and SD channels.) The local channels Dish carries on satellite are only the standard OTA SD channels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I think I'm finally starting to fully understand all this. Still a few questions though...

--So if I pay the $5/mo charge to get local channels via satellite, would I be able to record them with the PVR501? Obviously not the CBS HD stuff, but I mean standard definition CBS, NBC, etc.

--Anyone have info on the DVDO IScan issue (above)?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
So if I pay the $5/mo charge to get local channels via satellite, would I be able to record them with the PVR501?
Yes you would.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I am need Dish Network help too, please.

I'll be viewing dish on 2 TVs. On the main one I would eventually like to be watching HDTV, but we won't be buying an HDTV monitor until December-ish. This TV is in the Home Theater room.

The second TV is in the bedroom. Some time in the future we'll have a decent digital TV (480P)and a <$1000 home theater (with DPL II and other surround formats). We currently have a CHEAP <19" TV that would like to be replaced with a plasma, but we'll probably have an interm 27" there. This box will also feed into the home distribution system (via a new home, pre-wire from USTec).

Here's my questions. If you know good pricing would you please include that in your response:

1) If I get a Dish 6023 (the complete HD package), what second receiver should I get? Should I go as cheap as possible and wait for a better, second box?

2) Should I get 2 cheaper boxes for each room and buy an HD box when the next generation is out? Does anyone know what boxes are on the horizon? I have heard about an HD-PVR system, but when will it be out? We want to take advantage of the $9 deal, but our cable is getting crappier by the day.

3) Should I get one box to drive the whole house until those new boxes are out?

4) What brand of dish receivers are available? Are they all the same but re-badged? Is it just DirectTV that has competition with the boxes?

Now a few to clarify the subscription cost:

5) Do the HD Channels cost more per month? Are they a part of each movie package? With no movie packages, would the CBS HD feed be included with the $5/month locals?

6) How much is it per additional box? I have read dishnetwork.com many times and can not find the answer.

Thank you for the help. The models are somewhat cryptic on the sites I have read. It is hard to tell the difference between what number is a package system, a receiver, or the dish itself.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
943 Posts
New Dish customers get big price reductions on equipment ONLY as first time buyers (in addition to the $9 deal). Once Dish gets you signed up the price on equipment is much higher. So, price packages for all the equipment you need and want and buy it as a new subscriber. Here is one example of the packages available.
http://www.dishusa.com/cgi-local/sho...age=combo.html

I am not endorsing this vendor, since I have not bought from him. But buy packages that require programming purchase. The equipment is cheaper.

Jerry

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
3) Should I get one box to drive the whole house until those new boxes are out?
It depends on how many viewers you have. I use the 6000 for my HD set and my regular box for the rest of the house. (Only two of us.) Get one with a UHF remote (4900) and you will be all set.

Quote:
4) What brand of dish receivers are available? Are they all the same but re-badged? Is it just DirectTV that has competition with the boxes?
JVC and Dish, they are all made the same, just a different name. DirecTV actually has different manufacturers and different features on brands.

Quote:
5) Do the HD Channels cost more per month? Are they a part of each movie package? With no movie packages, would the CBS HD feed be included with the $5/month locals?
If you get HBO, you get the HBO-HD feed. To get the CBS-HD feed, you need the local channels in your area, regardless of the movie package. If your local CBS station is not a CBS O&O, they have the right to refuse your getting the network HD feed unless you get a waiver from them. I just use an antenna and get the feed OTA, except my local station forgets to switch to the HD feed in the evening many times. This requires the 8-VSB module (optional).

Quote:
6) How much is it per additional box? I have read dishnetwork.com many times and can not find the answer.
It is $5.00 per box per month extra. That is why I distribute the signal from my second box.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James_T:

--Anyone have info on the DVDO IScan issue (above)?
The HD output of the 6000 puts out a 1080i or 720p signal. This would be directly connected to the projector, without going through the IScan. On SD channels, 6000 itself does the scaling to the HD scan rates. You don't need the IScan.

If you were ambitious, you could also connect the S-video SD output of the 6000 to the input of the IScan. Then for SD channels, you'd have the choice of using the upconversion in the 6000, or the upconversion in the IScan, presuming you wanted to be bothered with switching back and forth between HD and SD output modes on the 6000 (and needing to switch between the 6000 and the IScan at the projector) when going from one channel to another. But some have claimed that the S-video output on the 6000 looks better, on SD channels, than the HD output.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.