AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions to E* HDTV 6000 receiver owners.

I will soon be using the 6000 with a JVC G11 D-ILA projector.

Q1: what is best output, RGB or Component?

Q2: what resolution, 720p or 1080i?

Q3: at present all I have is the OTA module for HDTV source and can only get ABC. Plant to put second dish up in a couple of months for HD. The manual says that the 6000 will up convert source info. Does this mean that I can watch normal HBO (Ch 300), Starz (Ch 350) etc. and I will get a better than the standard E* Video if I switch the mode on the receiver.

Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
What's the native resolution of your projector? That will determine the best format for the 6000 output (be aware that some folks have experienced dropouts using the 720p format).

Again, what's the best input for your projector? - I bet it's RGB.

I find that upconverting 480i using the 6000 displays a very soft, noisy picture. If you have a good outboard video processor, run S-Video from the 6000 to it.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara:
I find that upconverting 480i using the 6000 displays a very soft, noisy picture. If you have a good outboard video processor, run S-Video from the 6000 to it.
Yeah, that is an aspect of the 6000 that blows. It when in HD mode, it outputs *everything* in that mode. Thus, 480i source material is output in 1080i. I wish it would output in 480p such that I can use my TV's aspect ratio features. It is not too much an issue now, but what happens if they start carrying local DTV channels using 480p . . . will it automatically upconvert to 1080i? That is no good.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

It will read 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Max resolution of 1365 X 1024 with scanning freq of 15 - 82khz horizontal and 50 - 78khz vertical. RGB, Component, S-video, composite and computer inputs. However the built in scalar is not very good so I will be purchasing an outboard scaler down the road. probably a crystal Image.

Thanks, Don

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
Yeah, that is an aspect of the 6000 that blows. It when in HD mode, it outputs *everything* in that mode. Thus, 480i source material is output in 1080i. I wish it would output in 480p such that I can use my TV's aspect ratio features. It is not too much an issue now, but what happens if they start carrying local DTV channels using 480p . . . will it automatically upconvert to 1080i? That is no good.
480p isn't necessarily the answer as many sets don't have aspect control with 480p. But the real solution will occur with the next software upgrade for the 6000, as I mentioned in a thread a while back. With the next software update, you will have aspect control for 720p and 1080i output. It's the solution I've been hoping to see for a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Jerry,

Admittedly, aspect control for HD signals is a good thing, but I would prefer that Dish tweak the picture for the 480i upconvert to look a bit better. I supposed added sharpness would emphasize artifacts, but the picture is waay to soft IMHO to be watchable.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara:
Jerry,

Admittedly, aspect control for HD signals is a good thing, but I would prefer that Dish tweak the picture for the 480i upconvert to look a bit better. I supposed added sharpness would emphasize artifacts, but the picture is waay to soft IMHO to be watchable.
J.Mike,

I certainly wouldn't object to a better upconversion of SD to 1080i, but I don't find the picture too objectionable when compared to the 480i NTSC output. I actually prefer it to the 480i NTSC output. To me, the basic problem is the amount of compression used for the SD channels. But with so many customers wanting every channel available and with a such a diverse customer base with different programming requirements (and let's add the locals into the mix), I don't see a significant improvement in compression coming in the near future.

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.