AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain the the program guide features (if any) of the Analog/8VSB add-in module for the E* model 6000? I notice that it *sometimes* lists program names for analog channels but often on the wrong channel number. I don't think it provides any program guid info for local digital channels. (It just says "local programming".)

Does anyone know if any of this may be fixed/upgrade with future software updates?

Is this just a conspiracy to encourage people to sign up for their "locals" via satellite (which I refuse to do) so they will get correct program guide info?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:

Can anyone explain the the program guide features (if any) of the Analog/8VSB add-in module for the E* model 6000? I notice that it *sometimes* lists program names for analog channels but often on the wrong channel number. I don't think it provides any program guid info for local digital channels. (It just says "local programming".)
That's been my experience as well.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It will only give you program information if you selected a network affiliation when you set up the analog channel. However, you only have the choice of CBS, NBC, or ABC. For all other analog channels, it will only show 'Local Programming'. For all digital channels it will show 'Local Digital'.

If your local network analog channel shows the wrong program information, make sure you have the correct network affiliation in the setup menu.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
If your local network analog channel shows the wrong program information, make sure you have the correct network affiliation in the setup menu.
Thanks for the tip, Vruiz . . . I'll check to make sure I have them set up correctly.

By what I understand, there is a way for channels to embed channel guide information into their digital channel bitstream. (PSIP info?) Is there any plan to take advantage of this information in future versions/software upgrades? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:

By what I understand, there is a way for channels to embed channel guide information into their digital channel bitstream. (PSIP info?) Is there any plan to take advantage of this information in future versions/software upgrades? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?
yea, there's all sorts of stuff that can be embedded - program guide, closed captioning, second language, etc. As far as I can tell, none of themis accessible with the 6000.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BarryO:
yea, there's all sorts of stuff that can be embedded - program guide, closed captioning, second language, etc. As far as I can tell, none of themis accessible with the 6000.
Perhaps this is another area where they can improve the 8VSB/analog add-in module. (along with getting ride of the fan.)

Thanks for the tip, Vruiz . . . I fixed my set-up so the 3 networks now display the correct listings.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It is the local station's responsibility to transmit the PSIP information. I don't believe it's the 6000's shortcoming at all. I know mine displays the correct station ID and time, but it's unclear if the stations themselves are transmitting additional program information in the PSIP signal. I would think if they did, the 6000 would display it.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 6000 will display the station ID OK, but it won'y do anything with the program guide or closed captioning, as far as I can tell. 'not a high priority for me, but it would be nice.

------------------

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If the station is broadcasting a complete PSIP (Program Guide) right now only the DTC-100, Sony built in receiver (OTA only), Zenith built in(OTA only, Samsung OTA only can display the program guide from the broadcaster. Maybe with a upgrade, the other STB's will be able too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to a DISH representative I met at NAB the program guide (PSIP) information will be available in a "future software upgrade". He accused me of being one of those guys who wants everything working now.

I pointed out the RCA box (DTC-100) has it working now.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The 6000 only shows local program info during Primetime and ONLY if you selected an affiliate with that channel. The info comes from Dish, not the local PSIP.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
101 Posts
f

------------------

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .

·
Registered
517 Posts
How do you select an affiliate so that I can see the program info for local digital channels?

Do you mean affiliate the digital channels with the analog version of the same? If so how do you do that?

I only scanned for digital channels when I set up my 8VSB + 6000. Do i need the analog channels for prog info?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take this as you like....

I called Dish today and asked them if the 6000 supported OTA PSIP (HDTV Guide if you will).

I was told that is doens't and that it never will.

Then again, this is coming from a tech on the floor who had to go ask his manager.

I say we ask the Tech Chat next time around. When is that going to be?

Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well Barista, I called DISH's tech support this morning and explained I was looking to buy a DISH 6000 but had some questions. Their answers told me that the DISH did have RF outputs and did not have OTA channels seamlessly integrated. So they were wrong on both accounts...

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Barista, I was simply trying to make the point that calling DISH directly to get info isn't always a good idea! Notice I pointed out both the things they told me were false. I was not trying to claim (or ask) if they were true -- you and others already answered those questions in another thread! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by STL (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
On Saturday, during prime time, my local CBS station (analog only, long story elsewhere) carried NFL pre-season football. This was not a network broadcast, but the local team on the local station. Curiously the DISH 6000 guide correctly showed this, plus the info button showed the correct teams as well. I figured that the NBC/CBS/ABC buttons in the setup menu caused the guide to map the channel to generic network info, but in this case, it did not. It somehow knew that this channel was broadcasting this locally produced program, instead of the network.

Anyway, if it can do this, why not have the complete (not just prime-time) guide for my local affiliate?

------------------

-- Dan Farris

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been noticing lately that if I select CBS, it will become NBC, and vice versa when I save, so I usually have to set them to the opposite affiliate before I save. This is new to the latest software, the old one didn't do this.

-Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.