AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Absolutely brilliant. The idea is silly but if it makes free news, its free advertising.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I live in the town of Alan Gouger. Population 1. 1000 sqr ft. Im the self appointed Mayor, Judge and Im changing the name to Dish. Where do I sign up:)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928
Ah yes, the City of Los Angeles decides to become the City of Dish...... Echostar reneges or becomes desitute.....
i could see the D* people doing this just to backrupt E*

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If no one takes them up on it, then they still get a lot of publicity ... for almost no cost at all.

My newspaper carried the story tonight, and in a very nice spot at the top of the back page in a section. Not buried in the internal pages.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Some free publicity will not change the fundamentals. Both D* and E* will have some slower time ahead with Telco and cable fighting back with TV/Broadband/Phone service combos.

I bet there is fine print somewhere limiting population of the town to say under 5,000.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Two Towns Tell EchoStar: Call Us 'Dish'
Colorado, New York towns want EchoStar

By Joyzelle Davis Rocky Mountain News August 25, 2005

Dish, Colorado. Or how about Dish, New York?

One day after EchoStar Communications Corp. announced a decade of free satellite service for any city or town that changes its name to Dish, two communities have thrown their names into the ring.

Interested residents from Brookvale, an area of about 200 people near the base of Mount Evans, and the upstate New York town of Virgil, population 2,287, have contacted EchoStar as potential candidates.

Douglas County-based EchoStar will accept candidates until the Nov. 1 deadline, then "pick the best one," said spokesman Steve Caulk.

Brookvale isn't incorporated as a city and hasn't had its own post office in more than 50 years, "but if you type it in MapQuest it'll go right to it," said Paul Fiorino, who submitted Brookvale's name to EchoStar.

"We want to recognize this place," said Fiorino, the self-described town historian who moved to the region west of Evergreen in 2000 in hopes of revitalizing the one-time resort area.

EchoStar is offering every household a receiver, installation and the America's Top 60 package of channels for 10 years. In exchange, the winning town is supposed to put the Dish name on government buildings, post offices and official stationary. Brookvale has none of those.

"There's no city hall because there's no town government," said Fred Rollenhagen, planning director for Clear Creek County.

EchoStar's offer doesn't require a municipality to be incorporated, Caulk said. Any candidates are required to enter into negotiations "to address issues like this," he said.

Virgil resident Bruce Grodner submitted the name of his town, 40 miles south of Syracuse. Grodner, who intends to present the idea to the town council, has received mixed reactions from community leaders.

"The guy who owns the cable company will probably want to kill me," Grodner said. "But it's a tempting offer, and we could have some fun with it."

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
Dang. I was hoping Green Bay would do it just so we could call their football team the Dish Packers.

Doc

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
Dang. I was hoping Green Bay would do it just so we could call their football team the Dish Packers.

Doc
One of many reasons bigger towns will not like the idea, can you imagine our basketball team called the Dish Kings?

I still like the name Echostar better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wondering what level of programming will they give to customers ? :cool:

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbare
probably locals... :rolleyes:
Actually AT60, locals extra most likely, or chances are no locals at all.

I was thinking local reporter start by saying: "our Dish Patrol were on the look out for someone who robbed the Dish Fight the Hunger office last night, instead they caught a guy that went dish postal. It is estimated that it will cost Dish $5,000 to replace the broken dishes...but the hungery can have the comfort of knowing they still get free Dish TV while waiting for the new dishes to arrive."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.