AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding screen substrates.

I'm looking to do a semi-diy 2D 106" diagonal high contrast Screen Goo screen, with 4" black velveteen border, on a substrate such as:

- sintra

- gatorfoam

- e-panel

The quotes I received on 1/4" Sintra and 1/2" Gatorfoam exceed $200, which is too much (I'm in Canada, prices are nuts). The quote for e-panel was somewhat more reasonable (perhaps only because of the Sintra/GF stickershock) but I have not seen anyone using it for a screen. It seems to be similar to dibond, but is thinner.

Would e-panel make a good screen substrate and would the screen goo paint adhere to it (possibly requiring a prime first)? Any other tips that would not have me doing a level 5 drywall finish? Although I guess for $200, I could likely get Canada's best mudder and taper to come and give me a hand on one relatively small space.... And note that I have already purchased the screen goo.

Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Well that was where you budget got whacked too much in proportion to what you'll wind up with if you don't save on the substrate.

That would mean finishing out the Drywall....yourself....would be your best option.

Done right, such could perform very well indeed.

The E-panel however, if it's glassy smooth, can be best. Just use a Primer intended to adhere to smooth surfaces like "Glidden Gripper", spray apply 2 coats, lightly sand, apply another Coar, the spray the "other stuff" on top.

That's all Brother. The Ice gets thinner from here on out because your using a product we do not advocate as being "DIY". But I do hope what info was imparted has helped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it does help. Thanks. I'll likely go with the e-panel or even bight the bullet and go with the sintra. What's another $100??? My mudding and taping skills are decent, but I don't think I'm quite level 5 material just yet.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.