AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Seattle area or in Washington State for the matter able to hit 61.5W? I'm moving to a new apartment and my view to the 148W satellite is blocked.

I'm up pretty high in the new apartment and seem to have a clear shot at where 61.5W is suppose to be but was wondering how much luck I would have trying to pull in 61.5W with my 18" DISH 300.

Has anyone tried using a 30" satellite dish to pull in 61.5W in Seattle or am I SOL? Antenna pointer says it 9 degrees over the horizon.

TIA.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A larger dish is not the issue. That is a very low elevation angle, while not impossible consider it deserving of the services of a pro installer to aquire the satellite. 148 would be far easier to aquire even if the dish has to be loacted less than optimally to get a clear shot.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I believe others in the past in the Pacific NW have been able to see 61.5. If you have an unobstructed view to the far horizon because of your elevation, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
A larger dish is not the issue.
But it will be when it rains. At a nine degree slant angle, the signal will tend to pass through a lot more rain than signals do when approaching from steeper angles.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can hit the 148W probably through one of the bedroom windows, but would like to avoid setting up my tripod in my bedroom. Although that may end up being the best thing to do.

The building completely blocks the 148W satellite from my deck. Not sure what else I can do. I would like to avoid trying to hit the 61.5W because I'm not even sure if I can hit it at such a low elevation even though I'm on the upper floors of an apartment building which may or may not clear some tall trees about 300 feet out.

Guess I'll have to play with it.

Thanks for everyone's reply.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'm in the Portland area and get 61.5 no problem. My elevation is 11 degrees and I use a 24" dish and have a great signal, even during rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.