AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured there has been a few threads about file servers and which is the best one.. IMHO the SME e-smith server software seems to be the best. its free easy to download small and configured to be a file server right out of the box.

I am using a msi 6378L mobo with a athlon duron 800 i scored the mobo and cpu for 109 at a local store. a compusa 100 gig maxtor hard drive 256 meg of ram I added a realtec chip based nic to use the system as dhcp firewall fileshare this connects from dsl modem then the onboard connects to 8 port switch and I have a access point connected to the switch..

the software can be downloaded from www.e-smith.org

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was wanting to post it here for those who are looking for a fileserver. this is based on linux true but since it is cross platform capable i figured this would be the better forum. since this isnt going to be a linux based htpc but a linux based media server and to also allow those who are looking for a media server software like i have seen in the past couple weeks.. just want to try to let people know there is a simple stand alone setup that could save a ton of money for those wanting to drop a nas or windows based storage option.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll give you my $0.02 on e-smith...

I've set it up in a number of small office situations where people didn't want to spend the money on a Win2K server. Can't say I blame them... if it were my money, I wouldn't want to spend it either ;)

However, I've also set up a few for other reasons. I have one at my work (100 user+ Win2K network) that is integrated perfectly. The hardest part is making sure the username/password you have for each account is the same - I'd love to see some kind of better integration with Active Directory, but I can say that this is one of the best and easiest integrations with AD I've ever seen from an out-of-the-box linux project, and I've played with quite a few.

I use it as a file server and mp3 streaming media server. Works like a charm. It integrates with Windows perfectly (even better if you let it handle the logons and domain control). I've yet to try and kind of video streaming from it (although I only use a P200 w/32M of RAM, I don't think it could take streaming video!) ... but all in all, I think it's one of the best options available to anyone looking for a media/file server - even if you're not used to Linux.

I'd say the only down side to it vs. a Win2K server is that you can't use it as a computer - it's definately a dedicated file server. But when you can use a P200 w/32M of RAM and get away with it, who cares?!?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well this is what was thinking 2k for a nas or 99 bucks for an old box p2 200 128 or 256 meg ram big hard drive and drop it on the network. add another drive for more space.. add the raid cards for more scalability.. and when you max that out put up another box. truly a stand alone server..

·
Registered
407 Posts
not looked at e-smith's offering, maybe I ought to :)

My media server currently consists of:

AMD 1.4 Athlon on an Asus A7V266-E with 1gb P2100 RAM

1x 4gb drive (actually 2, 1 has RH7.3 one has RH 8.0 which I'm trialling)

2x 200gb WD 8mb SE IDE drives attached to a Maxtor ATA133 controller card. More drives/controllers to be added when i can afford them!

3com 3c905 NIC, but I've got a 3CR990TX for when I get around to figuring out the drivers.

As said above I'm using RH7.3 for it, took a while to get the controller card to run at ATA100 (max of the drive), but works now. So far I've streamed 3x CD's and 1xDVD accross ehternet without hint of a skip. No additional compression has been used.

Trialling RH8.0 currently to see if ther's any reason to go for that. Only put that on this weekend tho so no verdict yet. When I ddecide which is better I'll use the spare drive to try e-smith I think...

What program does it use to actually share the files? Linux generally uses Samba, is it the same here?

·
Registered
236 Posts
How would this compare to just using Samba Server and ftp? Is it any more secure and or faster and or easier?

·
Registered
197 Posts
e-smith uses Samba, but it just makes everything a LOT easier to configure than trying to do it via RedHat, Mandrake or any other flavor out there... and I've tried just about all of the major ones.

You can enable FTP. You can use e-smith as a firewall if you want. You can stream mp3's across the 'net if you wanted to (I've done it with mine just to try things out).

I never did understand giving a fileserver 1GB of RAM ... unless you just had it lying around, why waste all that memory unless you're going to use it?

a 1.4 Athlon is way overkill for an SME server. Not that it'd hurt using it, it's just a waste of power IMO. I've found a 300-500MHz machine is fast enough to not have to wait on the config pages to pop up too long (although using on a 1GHz+ does make most of the config pages pop up almost instantly).

All config is done via a web browser (unless you're dying to use the terminal)... it supports SSH1 as well if you need to get in that way.

Fun to play with, easy to use... tons of plugins that just work... no messy scripts or configuration utilities, no OS fighting over configs (ever try to use the Apache config utility in KDE and then go and edit the script by hand to tweak it?).... a nice server all in all.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This is slightly off topic but for those of us who are not network guru's or familiar with lunix why not just use Windows filesharing?

I have a p1.5g box with a 3ware hardware raid 5 and 8 WD 120s for 700G of storage and XP using file sharing works great for DVD, MP3 and HDTV filesharing.

So, I am not sure what either other solution offers (other than more complexity).

Am I missing something?

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
How about less complexity?

Along with the fact that you can make it a (fairly, but certainly 100000x's better than Windows) secure firewall to share your internet connection.

Plug ins that give you streaming audio are a big plus. Besides you can use a MUCH slower computer vs. Windows, you can use it as a domain controller, and it won't crash on you.

The down side, as I've said before, is that it's a dedicated machine. You can't use it as a computer after you set it up...

It's not for everyone. But if you have a spare computer, and you don't want to spend another $200 on a Windows license to run the thing, and you'd like to do more than just share some files... it's a wonderful kit.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am by far from a linux know it all. i only run one machine under linux and thats the sme server. why? cause it was so easy to setup. I looked at other flavors.. i played with them but couldnt learn it since my work machines and what not are all windows.. I am also not a network guru..

I created this thread to basicly give someone an alt to any other fileserver out there.. one thats free and really very simple to setup.. i have tried other software for use under windows and well i just couldnt get them to work. oh and i didnt like thier price tag.. im a cheap bast...........

thank you duplicator for taking over for me hehe just woke up and bam this thread takes off.. good deal. now if only the other sme users would post their configs for us people will see that it truely is simple and well awesome

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also have e-smith installed. I love it. It si a great server. But beyond that it can also serve as a firewall and router.

I also loaded netjuke.

It is very cool

check out these 2 places for more information on
http://netjuke.sourceforge.net
http://www.e-smith.org

and do a search in the forums for netjuke

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RLA could you post your hardware setup for us? any downfalls from what you use it for and what do you use your server for? IE filesharing/mp3 streaming/firewall but is there anything else you have used it for? i mean do you have a video streamer?? if so how and what did you use to set that up?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont use it stream viedo , just as audio, internet router, file server, email server. It is great i have not had any problems with it at all. It does great streaming audio locally but skips sometimes on the streaming externally. I am not sure if it is because of the hardware or my dsl connection.

Had to bring down the server for maintence.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just get the site under construction but its cool.. i am sure its the dsl upload. i have the same trouble when i am downloading and someone is streaming from my old work. sometimes they send me emails asking me to put up new music haha i have to tell them that only if they give me the cd ;-)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.