AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really thought that who ever was complaining about ESPN-HD stretch of the SD material was really just being a neener-neener, whiny crybaby sissy person.

OMG...I owe all of you a serious apology.

Man oh man, the HD original programming better really be something to make up for what I just witnessed. :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don S
Just watch the ESPN SD material on the ESPN SD channel then ...
Except there is an option, put black bars around it like HBO and Showtime do with SD material. Suppose people wouldl complain about that as well. I'd rather stretch it myself using my Dish 6000's proportional stretch.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Some say the stretch is a marketing decision ESPN made because some focus group told them that their images had to fill widescreen TVs.

Some say it's a technical issue that can't be worked around until their HD production facility is online next year.

I don't know who to believe, but I think we'll have to live with it for the time being. Watch the SD channel unless there's a game in HD on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
AS people have said you have a choice.. just watch the SD ..

I did find it intresting when i had a 4:3 tv.. when it was stretched it filled the screen was pretty nice...

also it's espn content and their choice.. this is teh way it goes..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree completely that it REALLY is not a big deal and there is a choice. Actually I really don't watch the "normal" ESPN anyway...so it'll just be the original HD programming for me.

I was really just surprised how baaaad it is.

KTLA 5 here in LA broadcasts their stuff stretched on the DTV channel...but other than the fact that you DO lose some from the inaccuracy of it, it is actually done QUITE well. It seems to be a slight stretch with zoom so it's not horrific.

oh well, it will get better

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Iam sorry but I respectfully disagree with the statement that KTLA is stretched quite well.

Both KTLA, KABC, and ESPN do stretching that looks HORRIBLE. It makes everyone look FAT and the cinematography shown is simply not that filmed. If ESPN thinks this does anything but grosse 75% of their viewers out they are wrong. They may have found a focus group that didn't understand HD that wanted the stretch. However, once anyone gets to understand what is happening most will not like the stretch. I understand that there are some that prefer the stretch. However, thoes that do can easily add the streach in their own TVs. However, thoes that don't like the streach, like myself, simply will NEVER look at a show that is stretched. If the show is really worthwhile I will go to the SD channel.

I had a friend trhat said he didn't want to buy a HDTV because the stores showed streached SD and he didn't want that.

Just my opinion.

Rick R

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
And if HBO did the stretch on their HD channel when the content wasnt 16x9 you could always just switch to the SD channel there too. But thank god they dont because the picture quality is way worse on the SD channel and Boxing and all the other shows that are 4x3 would look like hell if they were stretched.

I dont lose any sleep over it on ESPN but put me down as thinking it's lame regardless.

·
Registered
732 Posts
4X3 stretch is like doing a 16x9 squeeze. Both look bad and give HDTV a bad image in the public eyes. When the first few color television programs were transmitted most of the other programs and commercials where still in black and white for awhile and nobody complained. Please ESPN-HD show 4X3 programming as 4X3 programming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When ESPN Is Not Originally Producing An Event In HDTV, Why Do You Stretch The Picture To The 16:9 Format?

We have found that most consumers with HDTV want to "set it and forget it" when it comes to stretching original 4x3 video to the 16x9 format. We also have a series of on-screen features (bottom line information throughout some programs like Baseball Tonight…interspersed on other programs at 28 and 58 minute past the hour) for which ESPN desires a consistent look and spacing for information and for the sponsors of those on-air graphics and features. It is important to ESPN to transmit a consistent 24:7 signal to all consumers nationwide for continuity of service and viewer satisfaction for the majority of consumers with HDTV sets. We also use equipment for this "upconversion to 720p" and "stretching 4:3 to 16:9" which is of a quality far superior to that contained within consumer HDTV units.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know the "official word" from ESPN sounds like and garbage to me too.

I for one don't like the "choice" of using the regular ESPN.

The upconverted, full bandwidth signal looks much better on my Projetor but I can't tolerate the stretching.... It makes a big difference on Dishnetwork just like their HBOHD feed vs HBO-E.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Does Sunday night football get stretched too?

If there is a technical issue that forces them to go that way then... But if it's due to ignorance then, ouch.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman
Does Sunday night football get stretched too?
Nope...Sunday Night Football is in pure HD!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
So, I am just curious, how many hours a week of true HD programming does ESPN-HD provide?

If it was nor for HD net, I would have canceled the Dish HD package already.

Franzius

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although stretching and upconverting 4x3 material may not be as nice to look at, it seems to me that by doing this ESPN is giving us a choice. If you'd rather view the 4x3 source in its native form, just tune to the SD channel; if you don't mind the stretch, watch the HD channel. The problem with windowing 4x3 in an HD window is that most (if not all) HD sets will not allow you to zoom or stretch an HD source, so there is no way to eliminate the side bars in an HD source. This would be of particular interest to plasma and rear projection CRT owners that are worried about burn-in.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Funny enough, my tv (Panasonic 47" rptv) does a better job of stretching SD material then ESPN has ever done, and I've read that my tv doesn't do a good job of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Franzious..........

I'm guessing 10 hours a week only! Two college, one pro and Playmakers.

Somehow I manage to watchover SD sportscenter. Sooooo much clearer for me.

Here's to prayin that ball is on HD this winter.

yes.......there's only one real "BALL"!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdchris
Although stretching and upconverting 4x3 material may not be as nice to look at, it seems to me that by doing this ESPN is giving us a choice. If you'd rather view the 4x3 source in its native form, just tune to the SD channel; if you don't mind the stretch, watch the HD channel. The problem with windowing 4x3 in an HD window is that most (if not all) HD sets will not allow you to zoom or stretch an HD source, so there is no way to eliminate the side bars in an HD source. This would be of particular interest to plasma and rear projection CRT owners that are worried about burn-in.
So you're saying the stretch is a feature that we're paying for? And if we don't like it we can go to the unstretched, lower PQ channel that we're paying for instead? Something about that doesn't wash. Let US decide what is to be stretched and what isn't.

Having long since accepted it, though, the instances in which I *really* take exception to the stretch are *during* HD events.

During HD baseball or HD football broadcasts, they'll oftentimes cut away for a live update of another game. And with it, back comes the stretch. Then 15 seconds later, back to HD where nothing is stretched and things look fine again.

If they're going to stretch SD content when there's no HD being broadcast, fine. It stinks, but OK. Life moves on and the exec that made that decision can rest easy knowing he's an idiot. But DON'T stretch SD content DURING an HD broadcast! I've actually gotten eye-strain from it already.

Rick

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just signed up with the Dish package and have to agree with the ESPN stretch. It is really not watchable. For all my SD, I use the BUD. There is really no comparison in either pq or realistic sizing.

I am surprised with comments that they watch the hd over sd for picture quality, and live with the funny stretch. If that is so, I am sure glad I kept c-band.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.