AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
And don't think for too long about buying or not. The movie will be put on moratorium at the end of the year. More :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
My VHS is fine for me, I didn't even really like the movie that much. Well I didn't like the movie $70 much. But to each his own.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Uh, $70? No, don't think I'll be picking it up at that price!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Universal maybe we will get a DVHS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad I've got my LD Signature Collection Box Set! I don't think I need the 2002 PC version either. I think this DVD will tank as badly as the movie did on rerelease.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Egad!

And these same cats call me a pirate because i lend my movies to my mother.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
or let's put it this way: ya need to pay $70 ( and hurry before Dec 31 !!!) to avoid the fbi agents carrying twinkies in their hands instead of shotgun :D :D ( or is it flowers ? Ja Jar puppets ? :D :D )

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hummm... Let's see, the jesus story retold with an alien as the main character... Didn't care for the original, didn't like Spielberg's version (today I guess it would be called a re-imaging), didn't bother with the re-release, won't get the DVD, any version.

But, I agree, $70 is nuts.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Matt_EtheC:

"And these same cats call me a pirate because i lend my movies to my mother."

_______

Incredibly insightful, Matt!

If this is true -charging $70 for the original version of ET on DVD- then they are the ones that are being the real pirates...disguised as a "whatever the market can bear" excuse... :mad:

-THTS

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't usually get pissed off that often, but when I read about this assinine scam I felt like I was already being ripped off without even spending a dime!

O.K. E.T. isn't exactly the greatest film ever made, but it really is just the principle of it all. This film holds fond memories for a great many people...there is really no excuse for this...none.

Thanks a lot...for nothing...literally.:mad:

Howie

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"I can unequivocally say that my most enjoyable experience and the best result came out of the E.T. experience. It's the closest I've ever been to completely satisfied with a picture without any desire to go back in and change it." -American Premiere Magazine, July 1982, Interview by Susan Royal

yes, Spielberg himself talking, 1982 .............

so, $70 ( it will be discounted however in advance ) is not that expensive for 2 cuts, a cd etc BUT forcing fans to pay that for just the right to get the original cut is scandalous.

an original version which was a success and which many people loved and cried for should not become an exclusive "only for the riches" version...

it's not like Eisner-Crichton vs McTiernan here ! (EATERS OF THE DEAD/ 13TH WARRIOR)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Here's how to make money by buying the Collector's Set for $70.00 (or better by buying 2 copies).

1. This release will only be available for 10 weeks, then it goes on moratorium.

2. Purchase two copies for $70.00 MSRP (actual street price ~$55.00) so you spend $110.00. for two copies.

3. A year from now you put the 2nd unopened copy on e-Bay, and "someone", will end up buying this thing for $200.00 (just look at the Akira Tin DVD on eBay).

So, you end up making $90.00 on the deal and you have a collector's edition for yourself.

Moratorium DVDs always fetch a high dollar on eBay. Look at all the OOP Disney DVDs and Criterion DVDs.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Rachael sez, " E.T. go home, and do not pass go and do not collect $70!".

·
Registered
912 Posts
I thought E.T. was great, but I'm not wealthy. I will pass.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I was going to buy the original version on DVD, but not now. I've lived without a copy of E.T. this long (what did it take, like 5-6 yeard for the VHS release to come out?), I can live without it for quite a bit longer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.