AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just got an HD E1 and a Denon 2307, connected via HDMI, when i set E1 to bitstream on optical, and HDMI to PCM, i get 48khz audio via HDMI, but when optical is set to PCM and HDMI to PCM, i get 96 khz audio via HDMI on the amp.

Is there a big difference?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Select PCM if you can. Much better AQ than bitstream, 'cuase there are no receivers out yet that can decode TrueHD and DD+ over bitstream.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Ricky.. While I haven't tried the two settings on my XA2, the tracks are all 48k natively, so there is some extra processing to get it upsampled to 96... is it audible? I don't know yet, but usually I would go with 48k..

Amigo.. he is talking about the quirk on the A2/XA2 that affects the PCM output over HDMI depending on the SPDIF settings... not the HDMI settings.

·
Registered
571 Posts
yeah, sure ;-) I'm sorry. It was late in Europe...

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/0

Ricky.. While I haven't tried the two settings on my XA2, the tracks are all 48k natively, so there is some extra processing to get it upsampled to 96... is it audible? I don't know yet, but usually I would go with 48k..

Amigo.. he is talking about the quirk on the A2/XA2 that affects the PCM output over HDMI depending on the SPDIF settings... not the HDMI settings.

I am confused. If he is already using HDMI (I assume for both A/V), why does he need to mess around with the settings of the optical cable output? Sorry for being a noob.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 /forum/post/0

I am confused. If he is already using HDMI (I assume for both A/V), why does he need to mess around with the settings of the optical cable output? Sorry for being a noob.

Nobody knows why...must be a flaw in the player.

Rick32UK there is a new firmware update coming out...maybe this issue will be fixed. Personally at 48khz my A2 sounds great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well a big thanks to you all.

Reason i asked is i am fairly new to these HD sound options.

I would like to use bitstream via HDMI so my Denon can decode normal DD 5.1 DTS etc of SD and then the Toshiba decodes any HD formats as PCM.

To get the player to output Bitstream via HDMI it will only then output 48 khz DD+/trueHD, but as you say, this is all that is required.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky32UK /forum/post/0

Well a big thanks to you all.

Reason i asked is i am fairly new to these HD sound options.

I would like to use bitstream via HDMI so my Denon can decode normal DD 5.1 DTS etc of SD and then the Toshiba decodes any HD formats as PCM.

To get the player to output Bitstream via HDMI it will only then output 48 khz DD+/trueHD, but as you say, this is all that is required.

Set HDMI to Auto.. you will get PCM for DD+/DTHD/DTS HD, bitstream for SD DVD... this is seperate from the other settings we are speaking of (which is the Optical/SPDIF output)..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.