AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is E3 week so I figure we should have a PlayStation thread for general use since game-specific threads will obviously be supported. Each of the major console and software companies will lead off with press conferences detailing their future plans and past success. Sony had their E3 press conference at 11:30 A.M. Tuesday (PDT).

Besides any announcements made then, of course a ton of games are to be shown in some form or another. Several websites will show footage both live and taped throughout the week.

EDIT: I live blogged the Sony show: the text is at the end of this first post. Also at the end are a ton of E3 videos for PS3 games coming that Sony mentioned at the conference and didn't mention.

Slacker George found this link from the Official PlayStation blog about their E3 coverage.

Also, ign.com starts off at 4:00 PDT today (Sunday) with live shows, sharing the work with GameSpy.com it seems. Here is the home page of their text coverage.

==================================

SONY E3 CONFERENCE

11:40 The show is starting now, compilation of PS3, PS2 and PSP games shown on several huge screens.

- Jack Trenton comes out with welcomes and general introductions.

- Talks about history of PlayStation brand (15 years old this week).

- Speaks about the 10 year vision of the product lines, and a lot of the software that supported the PSOne and PS2.

- Highlights the importance of Blu-ray and Cell processor

- Mentions Folding at Home world record for shared computing research using, in part, 1.7 million PS3 users

- Talks about the PS3's multi-media advantages (Blu-ray, music picturs, etc.

- PS3 2008 is "all about software"

- Briefly downplays importance of exclusive download content

- PLAYSTATION 3 HIGHLIGHTS, (Pt. I)

- Resistance 2

- NOT the trailer.... HUGE mega monster battle with leviathan on city rooftops. 1v1

- Lots of places to run around as this monster destroys your hiding spots

- This has to be the most detailed mega boss ever designed... fight ends before it is killed. Lead designer Ted Price takes the stage. He details the background story and what Nathan Hale's mission is

- 8-player co-op, 60 player online, and an emphasis on community features. Says those mega airships can be boarded. Now shows the trailer we saw on Youtube last night.

LittleBigPlanet

- Jack Tretton returns. Talks about user generated content importance for future games in general.

- Shows a new level made with the game creation tools. Alex Evans takes the stage... it will show some Sony business points Trent says.

- Sack boy (character in the game) moves around a 3D powerpoint like presentation of Sony's business data... way more interesting than it sounds!

- The game engine is looking fantastic, Sackboy shows that Latin America is Sony's next region of focus (along with US Japan and Europe)

- PS3 Greatest Hits: Rainbow Six, Fight Night, Ninja Gaiden, Oblivion, Warhawk, Resistance, Resistance, Need for Speed and maybe more I missed. All $30.

- That ends the demo. The crowd loved the business presentation style through LBP... lots of applause and cheers.

PLAYSTATION 2 HIGHLIGHTS

- I guess more PS3 news will be made later.

- 130 PS2 games to be released in 2008

- Compilation video shows a lot of those titles (almost all are multi-platform with next-gen stuff)

- Says Buzz! is coming to PSP besides PS3

- Talks about Singstar's success briefly

- A new PS2 SKU will be released with Justice League DVD and LEGO Batman for $149.

PLAYSTATION NETWORK

- Starting this fall, all users will have one sign on user-ID that works on the PC as well as PS3 for being able to connect to friends, see stats, etc.

- Says over ten million PSN users today.

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty

- Continues from the end of R&C:F, will be shorter game

- Some cool new gameplay elements

- A new wrench to pick up stuff and a beam to manipulate. Dark areas that you must get through with a light, lots more platforming, and more

- Levels look to be same great graphics

- Only $15!

- New compilation video of PSN games

- Shows off titles, first and third party, that we know about

- Flower still makes no sense to me yet

- Ragdoll Kung-Fu: Fists of Plastic is introduced! Looks like a game for fans of Outfoxies or Super Smash Brothers. Very smooth multi-player vs. beat 'em up action (i.e. 4 players against each other)

PLAYSTATION 3 HIGHLIGHTS, (Pt. II)
Gran Turismo TV

- Video shown.

- Full high def racing content from networks, original programming, reviews of cars, behind the scenes development of the cars, tuned car videos, Top Gear programming, all through Prologue, not just planned for GT: 5 (coming August 1st).

HOME

- New video shown.

- Shows how games are integrated into it... Warhawk planning room, pool, 3D trophies and more.

- The apartments and areas shown look really good. A ton of body and face type features to make your character.

PLAYSTATION MEDIA OFFERINGS

- Video delivery discussed. High def and standard def movies and TV shows. A lot of movie and TV companies talked about (Disney, Fox, MGM, Warner Brothers, Paramount, and more). Prices start at $2. Can all be put on the PSP for portability.

- A Sony guy uses the PSN to show how it works (similar to trailer downloads).

- A standard def movie takes 1 hour to download a 2 hour film in full on average broadband, but streaming allows earlier viewing (within a few minutes).

- Movies can be instantly sent to PSP. The PSP can be connected to screens to show videos as well.

- The service starts tonight. New content offered each week.

PSP

- Madden '09 bundle pack coming this fall.

- In October, Ratchet and Clank PSP bundle with a 1GB memory stick, a National Treasure UMD and a voucher for a free Echochrome download for $199 is coming.

- PSP Resistance Retribution game is announced. Video shown... it's a third-person shooter with a great looking 3D engine. Coming Spring 2009.

- 35 million PSP units sold WW

- Shows compilation video... StarWars Unleashed, Madden, Patapon 2, LocoRoco 2, NBA '09, Super Stardust Portable, LEGO Batman, Buzz! series, and Valkyrie Chronicles clips are shown

PLAYSTATION 3 HIGHLIGHTS, (Pt. III)

- Google is a partner with the PS3 for Youtube connectivity as you can send in-game footage to that website

- Life With Playstation (weather news, etc.) is coming soon).

DC Universe Online

- Sony Online Entertainment exec will preview this MMORPG

- Three year development, game built from scratch

- The lead artist speaking was actually an artist for a comic book, but was also the first Level 50 Paladin on a server in some other MMORPG (WoW?). I guess he is showing he lives for this stuff.

- Highlights DCUO evil choices (i.e. set free convicts for diabolical plans, help Luthor kill Superman, etc.)

- Looks great in video! It looks action packed; the super hero powers are very distinctive, and the game is very colorful

PS3 System highlights

- An 80 GB PS3 is the future line at $400. It's coming in September, includes Dual Shock 3.

- 3rd party developers (Lucas Arts, Ubisoft, Betheseda, Call of Duty 5 developer, 2K) in a video talk about how they continue to find better ways to exploit the system's power for upcoming games. They love Blu ray storage, hard drive standard. Several mention how the Cell is still under-exploited (no one uses 80% of processor's power yet says Bioshock developer.

- 23 exclusives for the system, (10 Blu ray, 13 PSN)

- Video of games being shown (exclusive and multi-platform), so far stuff we're aware of.

GOD OF WAR III

- Teaser trailer, no game play shown, no release date announced.

inFamous

- Story setup trailer shown. Action superhero game in an open GTA environment

- Now gameplay is shown. Very smooth

- Spring 2009

MAG

- New multiplayer game only possible on PS3. Nothing like it available.

- Zipper developer comes out (SOCOM series on PS2, not doing SOCOM: Confrontation)

- 256 players war battle online!

- 8 person squad options, character development, and more

- Video being shown now

- Looks fantastic if using the in-game graphic engine!

- Large ground battles, modern age combat, sentry deployment, air support complete with parachuting soldiers, tanks, a lot of gear

The show ends

==================================

My impressions of the conference:

A steady, evolutionary conference (rather than revolutionary) that more and more centers on the PS3 as the still thriving PSP and PS2 lines are pushed towards the casuals. Some wonder why those platforms are focused on at all, but it is clear that they both continue to contribute revenues to Sony's coffers as they push their '10-year' life span strategy for all of its hardware.

So the PS3's evolutionary show focused much more on this holiday season through Spring- '09 instead of years past when a lot of games would get hyped but not come out for several years. I hope this strategy stays because the buzz dies down after awhile if titles are announced too early like before. The negative of it is that that means fewer surprises, but it keeps things in better perspective.

One last general point... this was the North America trade show. More titles (and more footage of those discussed today) will no doubt be shown at the big European show (Lezpig) and the one in Japan (Tokyo Game Show). Both shows are happening over the next few months and will add to the content shown today, (like Gran Turismo 5's progress).

Here are my thoughts on individual news and games shown, with a hype score for how personally interested I am in it:

Resistance 2: an awesome looking battle was shown with the leviathan boss, and I hope there are a half dozen other epic boss fights as well. I really like how the monster kept destroying areas of where you were hiding, forcing the player to go to new tricky sections of the level. I'm looking forward to playing the co-op with a few of my buddies (max of 8 players)and hope that they incorporate a lot of different team attack angles and tactics.

Hype score: 9

inFamous: Described as GTA with superpowers, the game engine is coming along very nicely, and the action is crisp and smooth based on the character movements and action in the video. I wish it weren't set in a pseudo New York city like all other games, but what's there looks great so far. I wonder how much 'free play' is allowed, or are you tightly forced to follow the mission structure. I know about the good and evil choices, but it isn't clear if you can just wander and do a ton of random stuff like GTA San Andreas allowed (sadly GTA 4 was lacking sorely in this).
Hype score: 8

God of War III: Like I said, few surprises at the show because of leaks, but not unexpected. What can one say? It was a teaser video with no game play shown, but my love for the series makes it one of the best official announcements of the show. Hopefully the game lives up to what is now only expectations. Obviously though, the March 2009 date is not gonna happen(all GoW releases were in March). Hopefully it comes by Christmas 2009... but March 2010 is a possibility sadly.
Hype score: 10

DC Universe Online:

The only MMORPG I've put time in (2K+ hours!) is Guild Wars, and one complaint I had of it was that the magic and skill system seemed too... video gamish. It was special effects and symbols that looked to arcadey. I like what I saw in the combat engine of this game, and for a MMORPG it is looking great overall. You see the Flash acting like you'd imagine he would look, and some of the quick battles sequences shown were very smoothly done. Only if the price is right will I consider this since I hate monthly fees, but as a game it looks to be a lot of fun.
Hype score: 8 (a 3 if they charge you monthly up the wazoo)

Ragdoll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic

This 2D platform vs. beat 'em up seems similar to Namco's arcade sleeper Outfoxies and the Smash Brothers series on Nintendo systems (which was made by the Outfoxies designers). I personally love this type of game with buddies or my kids, but it isn't for everyone as it may seem basic and mindless. Not much was shown, but if it matches my expectations for the genre, it'll be a must-buy.
Hype score: 7 (until I know more, it could be higher or lower)

MAG:

Sony's big game announcement was this title from the original SOCOM developers. This looks to be the possibly the most epic FPS multi-player war game ever released. 256 players playing simultaneously is insane, and I am looking forward to seeing how they are able to pull it off in the end. If only I didn't mind playing my online vs. FPS games with an analog stick, I'd be even more excited. Maybe there'll be expanded options when it releases.
Hype score: 8 (if mouse-look is allowed in online play, then for me it'd be a 10)

LittleBigPlanet

A business presentation of Sony's gaming division's success was shown entirely using LBP engine. Awesome stuff. I honestly have been looking forward to the creativity allowed with this game since I heard about it.
Hype Score: 10+

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty

The PSN download sequel to the fun shooter/platformer sounds great with what they detailed. It looks to retain the same great graphics but expand the gameplay a bit more. Keeping in mind it is shorter than R&C, hopefully they allow for a tougher experience since I have to say the first game was too easy for experienced gamers (a brutal difficulty would be welcome!). The $15 price point sounds perfect.
Hype Score: 7 (an 8 if it is a challenge to play).

HOME

Looks great, seems to have a solid foundation for game matching, game strategy planning, mini games, and general virtual world hanging out. I can't say much more until I test it myself, so release it already!
Hype score: 7

Video Download Service

Sounds good that TV, movie and other shows is offered as an option, but I'll have to have a reason not to buy (or wait for) Blu ray. Not because I have a preference for discs (I prefer to fill up my hard drive actually), but because I want true 1080P content with uncompressed surround sound.

There's no way the internet today is advanced enough (in the U.S. at least) for that to be properly handled online yet. Even if a 50 GB Blu-ray movie were compressed to what... 20GB?.... it would still take too long to download in regular use IMHO, and you likely sacrifice quality because of compression. I do not like the quality at all shown by current dload offerings from Apple, Netflix, Vudu, etc. despite their marketers trumpeting "high def".

Still, an occasional, very specific TV show or program of interest might pique my interest, even if Standard Definition. Maybe if they allow rentals I'll try something like a chick flick to watch with my wife (who could care less about pristine quality). That's as far as I'll likely go with this service, but we'll see. At least Sony is well supported by companies signed on to put up content (all but Universal it looks like), so at least it'll grow to be roughly as decent as any other similar service.
Hype score: 5

Gran Turismo TV

I am not hardcore into cars as fans of this may be, but I do enjoy a good high def video of nice looking automobiles. I tried this service when it was offered with the GT5 Prologue Japanese demo and the car footage does look gorgeous at times (depends on the footage shot). It sounds like it is free, and they'll be a ton of it.
Hype score: 4

80 GB price cut to $399

The price of the PS3 remains the biggest hurdle for the system IMHO. I like a lot of the software, media capabilities and constantly upgraded services, but because it offers so much compared to consoles of years past, it is no doubt tougher to price for mass market levels. This is important to maintain and expand 3rd party support. So this is good news in a way, but hopefully next year they keep the 80GB drive standard and focus on cutting the core price instead of offering more space for the same price.
Hype score: 7

Overall Sony Conference Rating: 8

They focused on the immediate future, so I graded the show on that rather than dinging them for not making a ton of announcements on stuff we'll only see by Christmas 2009 and beyond.

With that said, here's a list of key exclusive titles either missing-in-action or barely shown that we'll likely learn more about in the future, although some might actually be shown on the show floor I suppose:

WipEout HD: (Where was it???????????? They will tease us until the PS4 I swear
)

Heavy Rain

Afrika (TGS showing?)

The Agency (briefly shown in a clip, but may be far away from release)

Shadow of Colossus/Ico sequel

Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontier

Namco's PS3 "Tales of..." game (TGS showing?)

Guild Wars 2

NCSoft's other MMORPG

Tekken 6 (TGS showing?)

Uncharted 2 (obviously it's way too early to hype)

White Knight Story (TGS?)

Final Fantasy vs. XIII (Square still says it's PS3 exclusive, but who knows)

Gran Turismo 5 (the big daddy of PS3's online plans. TGS showing?)

Killzone 2 (this European-designed game was very briefly shown... bigger focus at Lezpig show 2008?)

=========================
VIDEOS

Here are direct links to E3 videos of PS3 games (exclusive and multiplatform). Some of the stuff not even mentioned in Sony's conference looks really good, so check 'em out!

MAG
Afro Samurai
Resident Evil 5 trailer
Resident Evil 5 gameplay demo
I Am Alive teaser video
inFamous
LittleBigPlanet conference demo
LittleBigPlanet E3 trailer
Prince of Persia demonstration (pt. I)
Prince of Persia demonstration (pt. II)
Prince of Persia demonstration (pt. III)
Home
God of War 3 teaser
DC Universe Online
fl0wer
Fallout 3
Street Fighter IV
Call of Duty: World at War interview
Project Origin
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Dead Space demonstration
Madden '09
Bioshock (with new PS3 content)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 teaser
UFC 2009
Resistance 2 trailer
Saints Row 2
Rise of the Argonauts
Ghostbusters
Mirror's Edge PS3 walkthrough
Mirror's Edge E3 trailer
Hydrophobia
LEGO Batman
Killzone 2
Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Mortal Combat vs. DC Universe
Baja
TNA Impact
Stormrise

I'll add more videos as they are shown each day of the show (and they will get a *NEW* insignia next to them).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/14281443

RUMORS
  • Sony/Square will show a teaser trailer for FFVII

I assume this is a typo, and you meant FFXII. However I would be excited either way. Where do I sign the patition for FFVII remake?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram /forum/post/14281773

I assume this is a typo, and you meant FFXII. However I would be excited either way. Where do I sign the patition for FFVII remake?

I'll assume that was a typo and you meant FFXIII.

There are rumors of a game announcement from Sony that's really big. I think it was mentioned on a 1up podcast and hinted at by other members of the press. I'd love to see what Team Ico is working on but I'm not getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Here's some things we know are going to be shown from G4's coverage. PS3 games are bolded.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...Announced.html
Quote:
Monday July 14th

1PM ET – Half-hour pre-show followed by the entire Microsoft Press Conference – live and commercial free on-air and online.

6PM ET – EA Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com

7PM ET – Two-hour E3 Preview Show featuring the following DEMOS:

Fallout 3

Fable 2

Halo Wars
Ghostbusters : The Videogame
Silent Hill: Homecoming

-------------------------------------

Tuesday July 15th

12PM ET – Live on-air and online streaming, commercial free coverage of the Nintendo Press conference
2:30PM ET - Live on-air and online streaming, commercial free coverage of the Sony Press conference

5:30PM ET – Ubisoft Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com

6:00PM ET– Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
Rock Band 2
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Prince of Persia
Street Fighter IV
Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Dark Void

7:30PM ET – CAPCOM Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com

11:30PM ET – ACTIVISION Press Conference - Streaming coverage on G4tv.com

---------------------------------------

Wednesday July 16th

5:30PM ET - KONAMI Press Conference - Live streaming coverage on G4tv.com

6PM ET – Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

Resident Evil 5
FarCry 2
LittleBigPlanet
Dead Space

Spore
InFamous
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Left 4 Dead
Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe

Crysis: Warhead
Shaun White Snowboarding

Deadly Creatures

------------------------------------
Thursday, July 17th

6PM ET – Live three hour E308 Special featuring the following DEMOS:

Mirror's Edge
Madden NFL '09
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Project Origin

Banjo Kazooie
Face Breaker

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram /forum/post/14281773

Can a rumor have typos if not proven to be true?

Actually, if a FFVII remake was coming to the PS3, my guess is that it would be the biggest announcement for the platform (if not the whole show) for MANY people.

BTW, here's the petition you asked for.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
PS Blog update:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...hat-we-read-7/
Quote:
OK, here's the PS Blog's plan for E3, tell me what you think (suggestions are welcome): Live Blog the PlayStation Press Conference, show floor updates, previews, Q&As, more developer interviews (including folks from Insomniac Games).

We'll start off tomorrow with: This week's PLAYSTATION Store plan (this will answer most of the questions you've been asking recently) and a big update on a game we *haven't* been talking about for a little while.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SG... I'll add the link to the main post above. You may want to bold the Sony conference in your previous posting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The rumors of FF VII seem to have cropped up every year at every major (and minor) show since the tech demo was shown...not that I'd complain but I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it.

Most hyped for Fallout, Resistance, Killzone and RE 5. Too bad I can't get to any good gaming sites while I'm at work...hopefully this thread updates regularly.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't see PS2 games coming to the store because the 40gig PS3 can not play those games, and also the size of some of the games are not download friendly.

I'd love RE:5 or FFXIII to be out by Christmas, but I do not see that happening. Maybe FFXIII will make it out in Japan this year, which would give us access to a lot of gameplay videos and impressions.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ I'll add the unique ones to the list. Here are some others there:

# Ninja Theory’s new project will be announced.

# Details on the upcoming home console version of Tekken 6 for PlayStation 3 will be released, including a target release date.

# Twisted Metal for the PS3 will be revealed.

# Sony will implement a price drop for the 40GB and 80GB PS3 to further drive sales.

# Sony will reveal plans to port God of War: Chains of Olympus to the PS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/14282559

I don't see PS2 games coming to the store because the 40gig PS3 can not play those games, and also the size of some of the games are not download friendly.

No doubt a PS2 download service will be matched with a software emulator announcement.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No unfortunately. Activision isn't even going to the show... they are doing their own thing off-site to save $$$. I added SG's link to the G4TV page since they will stream everyone's conference.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet /forum/post/14282578

http://www.psu.com/PSU-E3-2008-Predi...0004197-p0.php

"9. Factor 5 will announce its new PS3 project after being silent since the release of Lair."

I don't think anyone has thought of that. That would be interesting.

I thought Factor 5 was working on something for the Wii. I guess there's nothing stopping them from doing both.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet /forum/post/14282578

http://www.psu.com/PSU-E3-2008-Predi...0004197-p0.php

"9. Factor 5 will announce its new PS3 project after being silent since the release of Lair."

I don't think anyone has thought of that. That would be interesting.

Does anyone else wish it could be another Rogue Squadron game? I think that series is the best thing they've ever done, and I'd love to see what they could do with current generation consoles.

As for PS2 games downloads, at the very least they could include emulation for those particular games.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another rumor I added to the list is the one we've heard various reports about... a new "collapsible" motion controller may be introduced.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
PS2 games on PSN would be huge if true... I wonder if software emulation is not far for the 40GB PS3... if so, I maybe Sony will try and offer a PS2 emulator for the 40GB as store downloadable content they could potentially charge for...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
we should just get this out of the way right now- god of war 3 will make an appearance. there is just no way in hell that sony wouldn't show at least a teaser for this highly anticipated title. well, unless they're just that dumb.

i am hoping for some game play, but i fear that it won't happen.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp /forum/post/14283262

PS2 games on PSN would be huge if true... I wonder if software emulation is not far for the 40GB PS3... if so, I maybe Sony will try and offer a PS2 emulator for the 40GB as store downloadable content they could potentially charge for...

i have a ps2 emulator- i call it, my ps2. lol.

1 - 20 of 445 Posts