AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing that some of the hardware & software is starting to incorporate either HDTV or at the least wide screen support. Microsofts XBOX will have HDTV capable connections and Electronic Arts will have widescreen options on some of their games.

Unfortunately I have seen nothing about software developers incorporating HDTV capabilities into their games.

At least its a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
96 Posts
XBox games should be HDTV ready out of the box.

Since the X-Box is based off PC architechture, changing resolution from 480P to 1080i would be very easy, and not really dependent on the game since the DirectX APIs deal with most tasks like that. Just like when you play games on your PC, you can choose what resolution you wish to play it in (640x480 or 1024x768 or ever 1920x1080). Long as the game realizes it is no longer in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I think that is the grand vision, or at least we hope.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nintendo Gamecube also supports HDTV resolutions via an optional component cable. I also remember reading that all games will support 480P widescreen as a minimum resolution. This is great news for hdtv owners!

------------------

Stop DFAST DVI/HDCP and Hollywood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nintendo showed off their GAMECUBE on the Panasonics. They looked nice.

The X-Box looked nice as well. Of course, I tried looking at the back of the displayed X-BOX, but it was a prototype.

I'm still going with X-Box! November 8th it is! The GameCube looked okay, but it's still juvenile.

The X-Box will have the new Dolby Interactive

Content Encoder, a breakthrough technology that dynamically encodes multichannel audio into Dolby Digital 5.1.

The only true Dolby Digital 5.1 PS2 game I've seen is The Bouncer. All of the other games are Dolby Surround.

Developers planning to release games in Dolby Digital 5.1 include Acclaim, Argonaut,ATD, Brain In A Jar, Criterion, Eidos, Infogrames, Jester, Microprose Motorsports, Rage, Sony Studios, and Squaresoft.

I believe EA has ONE game out in Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mune:

Unfortunately I have seen nothing about software developers incorporating HDTV capabilities into their games.

At least its a step in the right direction.[/b]
check out xbox.com they said the game Test drive will be in HDTV!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here is a page with pictures of all the Xbox peripherals,

including the video cables. http://xbox.ign.com/news/34668.html

The gamecube is using a VGA connector for its HD output.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
This stuff may entice me back into video games. I was weaned on Atari & Intellivision, but HD would be a whole different ballgame.

Please keep us in the loop as this technology develops. Thanks.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
 http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/news/...erals/hdtv.jpg

why does that high def output for the Xbox have 6 connectors?

[This message has been edited by ADebar (edited 05-18-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.