AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Intriguing. I like the recent improvements from the last major showing. It'll be interesting to see how some of the developer rooms are designed to market their stuff down the line.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Jeeeeeeesus. They took the time to program a little RC boat thing? I know it's not a main feature or anything, but stuff like THAT contributing even in the slightest to the delay of Home ruffles my feathers.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Ugh. Innovative? Absolutely. Functional? Epic Fail.

They just showed the great flaw of this type of experience...see when the guy in the "Uncharted bar" tries to play the videogame and "Uh-Oh, lets try to find one that is open".

So..what happens when 10,000 people try to get in the uncharted lounge. What happens when the Bar is full or when the Warhawk lounge is full.....what happens when you will be 10 people deep to play one of those arcade games?? And you'll never get a chance to play.....or hell you'll never get a chance to get into the bar or area itself.

"Stand around the sand table and plan your strategies"...is he freakin KIDDING? You bust out the game, you want to get into the game, you want to hook up with your friends.

Who wants to have to walk around a virtual city to find their virtual friends avatars, then all go to some virtual game-space that may be either totally crowded or what have you...I mean didn't they try something like this with Atari's TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED, and the first thing you realized was that it was a nightmare just to try and connect and drive with your friends consistently?

Yes its a cool concept, but honest to god I wonder what Sony is thinking. Unless they turn HOME into a MMORPG where you can do player-kills and toss people in the water

Yuu know some guy at sony is thinking "Yeah! Yeah we'll have virtual performances by virtual bands at the virtual concert arena and people can show up there". And they can play virtual bowling or Virtual Pool.

First time: "Wow this is neet..hey I can customize my t-shirt! Yeah I totally want to go back to your Virtual Apartment and see what you did with the place and look at your trophies"

Second time: "Cool....hey dude, I see you got some custom T-shirt. Nah lets just meet at the bowling alley. Oh you got a new rug? Ok, err, maybe later".

Third time: "Yeah ok..is there any way to WARP to the Bowling alley directly?"

Fourth time: "You know this bowling game is kind of lame....wanna play Warhawk? Uh..no I dont wanna go to the warhawk bar....just put the disc in.....dude...no...just put the game in and lets go, c'mon I got work tomorrow. No I dont wanna have a virtual drink.."

And so on and so on.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Isn't game launching done anywhere from the PSP menu thinger? I don't think you have to use the virtual space at all if you don't want to.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14306286

Ugh. Innovative? Absolutely. Functional? Epic Fail.

They just showed the great flaw of this type of experience...see when the guy in the "Uncharted bar" tries to play the videogame and "Uh-Oh, lets try to find one that is open".

..snip for brevity of quote...

Fourth time: "You know this bowling game is kind of lame....wanna play Warhawk? Uh..no I dont wanna go to the warhawk bar....just put the disc in.....dude...no...just put the game in and lets go, c'mon I got work tomorrow. No I dont wanna have a virtual drink.."

And so on and so on.

I see where you are coming from. Honestly, when I see stuff like this, I wonder whether I'm getting old or just don't get it. I mean, there's a whole real life world out there to explore and time is short. I enjoy games and entertainment as much as the next guy but I really can't see myself wasting a lot of time other than to mess around a bit. From a pure social context, I'm pretty leery of the whole "isolation" thing we are building into society. While the internet and communication certainly brings people together on the net or "virtually" (i.e. this forum) and provide for convenience and entertainment, stuff like Home makes me wonder if we are taking this a bit far. People need to get out and do real stuff in the community in real life. Come home and have an itch for some action...play a game, even with friends late at night when you can't get together but I don't want to piss my time away.

·
Banned
2,456 Posts
I have to say I have a hard time understanding what those of you who have a problem with Home were expecting it to really be. We've known what the essence of Home was going to be for quite some time. I, for one, think it looks pretty cool. I like the mini-games and am glad that Sony sees the potential for little things like that. It's a detail thing that not everyone is going to appreciate, but doing little things like playing pool with a friend while you're waiting for the rest of your clan to show up for a game of Warhawk seems really cool to me.

And I can't understand how you don't think the Warhawk planning table is cool. That's awesome. What a great way to strategize before hand and just rip through the competition with a solid plan. If your whole squad can meet up before hand and develop a game plan and then move into that map seamlessly, how is that NOT cool??

Yeah, the Second Life aspects that are in there are kind of annoying and not for everyone, but it's not the entire picture. I'm not going to sit around chatting either, but I do enjoy making friends that I'll most likely never meet in real life and I see Home as a great opportunity to have clan meetings, planning sessions, etc. Dancing and drinking optional I suppose.

I seriously think some of you post here just for the sake of being confrontational. It gets old after a while.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
For the record, I didn't say it was all bad. I never really had an expectation of something great or even interesting and the "second life" stuff as you put it is the real turn off for me. My post was mainly social commentary on a direction society seems to be headed and how Home and the whole Avatar type stuff is indicative of it. For what it's worth anyway.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
"Look out for the bear skin rug." It gave me chills when the guy demoing said that. As if any gaming enthusiast cares that they put a bitmap of a bearskin rug on the floor.

Really, the whole style of this guy's presentation suggested that Home is being developed by people who don't understand that they need to design the interactivity of the service, not create some MMO graphics demo. I sincerely hope I'm drawing the wrong conclusions.

Something about Home reminds me of a project LucasArts Games tried to launch in the late '80s and early '90s. "Habitat" was going to be an online social interaction site in which you could do really cool things. However, they spent a great deal of time and money developing the little guys onscreen and the technology (which, in itself, was biting off more than 1990 CPUs & modem bandwidths could chew) and not enough time trying to figure out what made the damned thing FUN.

"Habitat" never got out of development.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14307369

Isn't game launching done anywhere from the PSP menu thinger? I don't think you have to use the virtual space at all if you don't want to.

Yes. They're also working on a "2-D" interface. Personally, I think this is where we'll see the coolness of Home; not in all of these "virtual world" gimmicks. The 2-D interface will be all the fun community aspects, with little of the clunkiness of the 3-D interface.

But Sony hasn't been hyping this interface to the press/public since it isn't nearly as flashy. But once Sony gets around to releasing it (2010?), it'll be the 2-D interface that people end up using all the time.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds /forum/post/14308279

"Look out for the bear skin rug." It gave me chills when the guy demoing said that. As if any gaming enthusiast cares that they put a bitmap of a bearskin rug on the floor.

Really, the whole style of this guy's presentation suggested that Home is being developed by people who don't understand that they need to design the interactivity of the service, not create some MMO graphics demo. I sincerely hope I'm drawing the wrong conclusions.

Something about Home reminds me of a project LucasArts Games tried to launch in the late '80s and early '90s. "Habitat" was going to be an online social interaction site in which you could do really cool things. However, they spent a great deal of time and money developing the little guys onscreen and the technology (which, in itself, was biting off more than 1990 CPUs & modem bandwidths could chew) and not enough time trying to figure out what made the damned thing FUN.

"Habitat" never got out of development.

It did get turned into Club Caribe after being in beta for a couple of years. I remember Club Caribe being fun but it was pretty novel back then.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
I said it in another thread awhile back, but this isn't aimed at us really. It is something that some casuals will enjoy if there's enough random content.

As crazy as it sounds, there will be a lot of people just hanging out and chatting with this thing. I know because playing Guild Wars hardcore for three straight years (online MMORPG with common areas to gather together between instances), I was always amazed at the amount of people who just simply hung out in town and talked rather than adventure... and that's with few things to do other than trade gear (except holiday carnival events, which were HUGELY successful).

I'm like you guys: I logged in and dove directly into the gameplay (preferring PvP action). However whenever I needed to go to town to restock, conversations are constant and everywhere. Even parties I joined for a boss fight would sometimes delay going out to battle because of some deep conversations about American Idol or getting a girl's advice about some dating issues. These people plan huge events, like fashion shows for their characters and massive dance syncing parties.

Every one of the "big three" console makers are 100% aware of the $$$ behind the casual market, and Home is one of Sony's angles for trying to reach them. Being free and universal, it'd be a huge success for them if, eventually, of say 30 million PS3 owners if even a tenth of them hung out in Home at any given time. Their hope is also that game makers tap into that audience with unique Home areas to promote their games or other wares.

In the end we here may barely use it after the initial newness wears off, but don't think that it is simply being made as a way to launch us into multiplayer games. Just as Blu ray was in part a trojan horse for videophiles to buy a PS3 (and vice versa), Home is hoped to eventually be a trojan horse for a segment of casual gamers who enjoy meeting different people in a virtual world to talk about life, hobbies, etc. When not actually gaming, this will be a vehicle for socializing in the eyes certain types of casuals.

This is actually a concept that will continue to grow in various forms on various platforms for many, many years into the future. Eventually our great-grand kids will be in the Matrix... a completely realistic virtual 3D hologram world to walk around and socialize in. Second Life, Home, and even Google's new virtual world mod 'Lively' are major steps in this direction. Text chat rooms have been a huge success on the internet since the 90s.... it shouldn't be hard to see how 3D chat (especially mixed with random stuff to do) has appeal potential for many people.

At least Home's function for multiplayer games is promised to be available with a strictly 2D interface for us to quickly get in and out of the programs. However even if we ignore it this push to make a virtual world for casuals is here to stay, and will only get more involved with each new generation of consoles.

·
Banned
2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/14308529

sony, do me a favor- cancel home.

Do me a favor and just don't use it. Seriously, what's the need for a comment like this?

Joe, I agree with you - to an extent. Casuals are the target here and there's nothing wrong with that. What I like about the service is that it isn't mandatory.

But I think it also has some appeal to the hardcore gamers who want to conduct clan meetings, discuss strategies (a la the Warhawk table) and things like that. Personally, I can't wait to play some of the silly mini games while waiting for people to show up for a clan war. In a way, this makes clan warring a bit easier because even the clans who are warring that night can all meet up someplace within Home and then launch right in to the game. How on earth is this a bad thing?

If you want to use it, great. If not, then you can still play your games and go about your business the way you have been now. I don't see why this extra option is rubbing so many people the wrong way and drawing so much harsh criticism. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

·
Registered
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop /forum/post/14309556

If you want to use it, great. If not, then you can still play your games and go about your business the way you have been now. I don't see why this extra option is rubbing so many people the wrong way and drawing so much harsh criticism. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think that's the key here. It's completely optional, and if you don't want to use it you can simply ignore it. I personally don't think I'll have too much use for it now, but when SOCOM: Confrontation is out it will be nice to poke around in while I'm waiting for a clan match to start.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudiggs /forum/post/14309674

I think that's the key here. It's completely optional, and if you don't want to use it you can simply ignore it. I personally don't think I'll have too much use for it now, but when SOCOM: Confrontation is out it will be nice to poke around in while I'm waiting for a clan match to start.

Pretty much.

they've been saying for a while HOME is just the visual representation of their Clan making / game finding / user communication tools.

Don't want to use it or like it, then use the 2d HUD interface.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/14308753

This is actually a concept that will continue to grow in various forms on various platforms for many, many years into the future. Eventually our great-grand kids will be in the Matrix... a completely realistic virtual 3D hologram world to walk around and socialize in. Second Life, Home, and even Google's new virtual world mod 'Lively' are major steps in this direction. Text chat rooms have been a huge success on the internet since the 90s.... it shouldn't be hard to see how 3D chat (especially mixed with random stuff to do) has appeal potential for many people.

At least Home's function for multiplayer games is promised to be available with a strictly 2D interface for us to quickly get in and out of the programs. However even if we ignore it this push to make a virtual world for casuals is here to stay, and will only get more involved with each new generation of consoles.

My thought aswell. I'd rather take the red pill and bend the rules like going outside lol. But seriously all this is getting scary in a way. If Home is now,...imagine 10 years from now what it will be.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts