AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E30 and a Sony Wega TV.

The S-video connection between the two units always works fine. Up until recently the component-video connection also worked fine. Then, for no apparent reason, in the middle of a program, it broke down and the screen filled with moving colored zigzag patterns that continued till I switched to the S-video connection. On a couple of occasions since then, the component connection started out fine but broke down again about five minutes later, with the same zigzag patterns appearing. Now I can't trust this connection at all.

Is it the TV or the E30 that is the culprit? Is there a test that I could carry out to identify the culprit? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Don't rule out the component cables. They need to be high quality shielded cables otherwise the adjacent cables will interfere with each other, especially if you get a kink or discontinuity in the shielding. If you are using quality cables, ignore (you didn't say in your post). If not the cables, then it sounds suspiciously like a damaged chip or a loose/cold solder connection that manifests itself when the unit heats up (hence the five minute grace period). If you have another component that has component inputs then you can verify the culprit by hooking it up to the E30 and seeing if the problem remains.

Vic

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
If not the cables, then it sounds suspiciously like a damaged chip or a loose/cold solder connection that manifests itself when the unit heats up (hence the five minute grace period).
My component cables are by Monster Cable ($50. for 3 feet).

I have no other unit with component inputs to compare with.

Your theory that the defect manifests itself when the unit heats up makes a lot of sense: today the component connection came alive again, but about 15-20 minutes later it broke down. The problem is to determine whether it is most likely the Sony Wega TV (27") or the E30 that is the culprit. It's important for me to know that because I'll have to have one of them checked out. Please give me your best opinion.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
It's impossible to tell from the information you've given. I suspect the WEGA runs hotter. You could attempt to measure each explicitly with some sort of contact temperature probe (like those that come with indoor/outdoor thermometers or probes used for measuring temps in PC cases) to see what temperature each device reaches when the problem happens. Then you can see if you can get a repeatable temp/failure correlation to one of the devices. Alternatively, you could just leave the WEGA on with the E30 off for an extended period of time (say an hour or more) or vice versa to see if the problem exists immediately (pointing to the warmed up device as the culprit) or if it doesn't appear until some time after the second device is turned on (pointing to the second device as the culprit).

Also, make sure the cables are not pinched or damaged or exposed to a heat source (if you have a second set of cables, try those just to be sure).

If all else fails, see if you can get your hands on another component source (a cheapo DVD player or something you can easily borrow, return or rent) to eliminate the WEGA as the culprit.

HTH,

Vic

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vic,

I feel truly mortified and I want to apologize. Even though I had checked the connections already (when the TV was "off"), I decided this morning to touch the component cables at the back of the TV while it was on and the zigzag patterns were active. Lo and behold! At the mere touch of one of the cables (the green one), the image staightened out. I then took the cables out and stenghtened the connections and now everything is fine. A false alarm that caused me much anxiety, and I want to thank you very much for your support.

P.S. I knew that the first thing to do is to check the connections, but I had not done it properly. A lesson I'll never forget!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.