AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an E80 a few days ago. The manual is nothing short of infuriating. But thank goodness for this forum!

Anyway, I'm trying to record some Laserdiscs and I want to get the best quality I can (while still getting the 2hr movie onto one disc). What I'm trying to avoid (I think) is having the thing go through multiple mpeg compressions. I tried creating a playlist to link the sides of the laserdisc together into one program. I recorded in "DVD-R compatible" mode, but I can't burn the playlist in this mode, only the original recordings (which include short setments of "end of side 2" etc.). So if I burn the playlist, is it going through another mpeg compression? If so, would I be better off to record to the HDD in XP mode and then switch to SP mode when I burn the playlist and let it get recompressed then? Or will the data not be messed with if I burn both record to the HDD and burn in SP mode, even though I chopped it up into a playlist?

I hope I'm asking the right questions here. I just wish the manual would be more specific about what is going on with the different recording modes, especially when it comes to recording to the HDD and then transferring to DVD-R.

Secondly, does the "TV-type" have any effect on the recording? Or just the playback? I have a 4x3, but will be getting a 16x9 high-def soon.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
try recording in FP mode as one LONG recording, not two seperate ones.

1- set the recording time for (say) 2 minutes more then the length of both sides (give yourself a little buffer there).

2- when the side flip comes, either pause or flip it really quick (grin) but make it one continous recording.

3- after it's done, use the inboard editing and use 'shorten segment' to trim the ends and trim out the side flip.

that should burn for you, with the maximum quality.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I want to record with DVD-R compatibility mode ON, correct?

Which begs the question... if I record to the HDD with DVD-R compatibility OFF, does it ALWAYS go through another MPEG compression when recording to DVD-R regardless of the speed mode?

And here's another question... what if I'm recording something from my TiVo and I don't really know how long it'll be once I remove all of the commercials and other stuff I don't want. Can I record it to the HDD in XP mode (best quality) then to DVD-R in FR mode? I know that's going thorugh a second mpeg compression. Will I have the ability to stack up a bunch of XP recordings and let it do FR compression to fit it on one disc?

The manual is so damn vague when it comes to questions like this...

-Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.