AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the E80 I can finally dump all the movies that I'll never get a chance to watch off my DTIVO (126 hours) and save them to DVD there by freeing up more space to record movies I'll never watch :)

Usually I select the movie I want to record, hit record on E80 and then play on DTIVO. I then hit record on E80 several times so that it stops recording sometime after the movie is completed. I then go to bed.

Afterwards I use shorten segment to get rid of the extra space recorded at the end of the movie. The problem is that it takes about 2 minutes fast fowarding at the highest speed to get to the end of the movie before I can select the start and end point that I want to delete.

I was wondering if there was a faster way to position myself at the point I want to edit.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Press Time Slip on the remote, then hold down the up arrow until the window that opens up on your screen reaches the desired time.

John

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Never heard of that, I never even used time slip.

One way is if you set markers on the program, then you can skip forward using the markers which is faster than fast forwarding thru the entire program. Not the best way, but an option if you have set markers.

If I just want to see the end of a program fast, this works. Pick the next program after the one you want and hit

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought his question was if there was an easier way to go to the end of the recording while in the Divide Program or Shorten Segment screens.

If so then I don't think time slip works in this mode (although I could be wrong). Markers would work (assuming they were set). Also, you cannot select the next title in these screens either.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is the way to jump to the end of the recording in the editor:

Without specifying either a start or end point, move the cursor

to the exit button. Now press the FF button. You will jump to

the end of the program. Now press the REW button. You will

jump to the beginning of the program.

NOTE: This will NOT work if you have a starting point or an

ending point selected...

Hope this helps...

Don

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hearth
Here is the way to jump to the end of the recording in the editor:

Without specifying either a start or end point, move the cursor

to the exit button. Now press the FF button. You will jump to

the end of the program. Now press the REW button. You will

jump to the beginning of the program.

NOTE: This will NOT work if you have a starting point or an

ending point selected...

Hope this helps...

Don
Don,

Could you please tell me which button the FF is located next to? Can't find it on my E-80 remote. If you mean the "slow search" that gets it to 100x, I can't get it to instantly go to the end.

Thanks, Tbill

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but in shorten segment at least the cursor over EXIT and FF combination just results in high speed play.

As others have said, the easiest way to chop the start and end off a recording is to set markers before editing. Here's how I usually do this:

- In regular playback, fast forward to the start of the program and set a marker

- hit timeslip and then up arrow until the value equals the length of the

program and hit enter. This will get you close to the end of the part you want.

- then go forward or back to the actual end of the program and set a marker.

- if there's a recording after this one, hit the >>| key to get to the start of the next recording, then rewind a few seconds into the previous recording and set a marker.

- if it's the last recording made, hit timeslip again and hold the up arrow until the counter stops going up. This takes you within a minute of the end of the recording, hit enter and set a marker.

After that you can use the chapter skip buttons to navigate to the markers while editing.

Same goes for dividing a recording, it's probably easiest to set markers at the end of each show, then use them for navigating in the Divide Program screen.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will try them out tonight.

It's great to know that you can get assistance from so many people.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just got home - couldn't wait to try Don's suggestion - it partially works - during Shorten Segment the Skip>> will not take me to the end of the recording to edit - but anywhere within the recording Skip

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi,

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner. The trick that I described works for the HS2. I haven't tried it on the E80, but I can't believe that it doesn't work (unless they considered the behavior a bug and "fixed" it).

Here is a discussion on another forum where I learned this trick. Maybe they explain it better than I do:

http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum...p?TOPIC_ID=875

Hope this helps,

Don

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just checked tried the trick on both an HS2 and an E80. The trick works with the HS2, but has been "fixed" in the E80.

Would have been nice if, when they were fixing it, they'd changed the E80 so that a chapter skip could take you to the end of the current program.

Thanks for the tip though, at least it works with the HS2.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.