AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first "RECOVER" errors on my E80 after three weeks and after burning about 3 dozen DVD-Rs. The first error came when I tried to (high speed) dub to a Fuji 1x DVD-R. The dub window came up, and then the machine turned itself off and said "RECOVER." I restarted, and tried to dub to another DVD-R from the same spindle, with same result. Did the same thing about 4 times, each with a different DVD-R from the same package. Finally, I tried a Fuji DVD-R from a different spindle-package, and it dubbed just fine. Same for another from the second package. Tried another from the first package, and got the RECOVER thing again.

Both packages were bought at BestBuy, but at two different stores. Is it safe to assume that I just got a bad package? I tried disks from the top, middle and bottom of the spindle and all were bad. Could something have happened to the package to ruin the discs? WE didn't leave them in the car or anything, but I wonder if the store could have left them on a loading dock in the sun or in a hot storage area (I live in Arizona, where the daily high temp is just now dipping into the low 100's). How high can the temperatures be for storing DVD-R discs?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There are those Ritek-made Fuji's rearing their ugly heads again. I'm continuing to find that Panasonic and Ritek just aren't very friendly toward each other.

I also have a Ritek manufactured Fuij spindle. My DMR-E30 and DMR-HS2 spit out every single one of them with a U11/Recover. Ironically, my old DMR-E20 workhorses will accept them. My Pioneer PC burner has no problem with them. I haven't tested them on either the E-80 or E-100, but from your experience, it doesn't sound promising.

You've also experienced the varying batch quality of Ritek media with the success you've had from the other spindle. The combination of Ritek media and Panasonic recorders seems to create a hit-and-miss situation.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JeffWld, or anyone else, what brands of DVD-R do seem to be consistentlygood for you on the E80? And where you you get them? I'm not so concerned with cheap as I am with consistent. If I have to pay $2.50 to keep from having RECOVER errors or even finalizing errors (as I have had with BeAlls), I will.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've always had solid results from Maxell and Verbatim. I've only had 1 of each fail out of over 1,000 used. The Japanese-manufactured Fuji in jewel cases is actually a Taiyo-Yuden disc and is also very reliable (however, I wouldn't be surprised if these become extinct shortly and Fuji goes to an all-Ritek supply).

Any Sony discs I've used (about 50) have been 100% successful. The problem is that Sony bounces around when it comes to OEM's so you never really know what you're going to get. One minute they're CMC Magnetics, next time they are Leadata etc.

We are quickly headed to a point when virtually all media (no matter whose name is on it) will be Taiwan OEM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When did you get the error? I am in the same location as you are. My unit did the recover gig on 9-27 (sat evening). I was using a Ritek(G03 No Logo). After the recovery, I used a second disk of the same type and all went well. Normally I use TDK. The manual states that the recover error is basically caused by input power problems, however it has been my experience that all causes of a specific error condition are not usually disclosed in the user guides. I did not notice any power problems on Saturday. Can you repeat the problem at will?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every disc I used from that spindle caused the "BYE" after about 20 seconds of the dubbing screen, followed by a restart with the "RECOVER" message on the front display. Then followed by TWO on-screen requests saying

"An error has occurred. Press enter," with a restart in-between.

Not the most user friendly error messages.

BTW, BestBuy took the discs back and gave me a full refund (and it wasn't even the same store as I had made the purchase in). I turned around and purchased some TDKs that were cheaper anyway. I also discovered that FujiFilm doesn't list Panasonic recorders as supporting their DVD-R discs (they list Pioneer, Sharp and Sanyo)...
http://www.fujifilmmediasource.com/dvdspec.asp?compat=1

although Panasonic is listed for DVD-RAM

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am going to assume(probably a mistake) that thay were the FujiFilm 50pack that best buy sells. Did you notice the poor physical quality of the discs. If you run your finger around the edge of the disc, it feels like a washboard. If you look at the disc edgewise, the seam is not straight and even. It appears to have globs of glue instead of a even distribution. I tried these myself but took them back because of the physical quality. The FujiFilm 50pack from BB are Ritek G03's. Has anyone noticed this poor quality on other Riteks. I do not have much experience with Riteks and am wondering if the older( 1 year or more) Riteks have the same physical defects as the newer ones or is this possibly just a bad batch.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TwoTeg
Has anyone noticed this poor quality on other Riteks. I do not have much experience with Riteks and am wondering if the older( 1 year or more) Riteks have the same physical defects as the newer ones or is this possibly just a bad batch.
Having seen a lot of bulk Ritek, I'd actually say that the Fuji-branded Riteks are a major improvement (physically). Just before I washed my hands of using Ritek, I returned a batch that looked like they were made by a grade-school class. Sloppy bonding, air bubbles around the entire hub ring, dye spillover into the non-write area etc.

I hope that Fuji gets wise to the fact that choosing Ritek as their OEM has the potential to damage an otherwise stellar reputation.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right, TwoTeg. They were the 50 packs from BestBuy. I bought some two weeks ago and they worked so well (not a problem after burning about a dozen) that I bought the second spindle at another BB store. The second package had 6 bad discs out of the 6 I tried.

It's possible that the two spindles came from different runs or something (and who knows which came first).

I examined the bad disks and the good disks carefully, and could not tell any difference between them physically. In fact, they also appear identical to the Japanese-made Fujis I have, in terms of edge smoothness and evenness.

I actually only started using the second package because I had removed the outer wrapper to send in for the rebate, but I'm glad I tried them in time to take them back.

This is one reason why, so far, I have hesitated to buy Riteks online. I may just be buying Riteks with some other name in the store, but at least I can take them back with minimum cost.

When DVD-Rs rise to the quality control and consistency standards of VHS tape, I will be less concerned about such considerations. (How's that for thinly-veiled frustration?)

So far, TDK's quality control seems to be better than Fujifilm's, in my experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm using DVD+R media, but so far my problems are mainly with the Verbatim 4x Taiwan made (~ 2 or 3 out of 10 give "disc error messages"), Fuji 50 packs from BB are pretty good, 9/10 are OK on an A03 Philips 985.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.