Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just recorded my first DVD-R with the E80. I went to Best Buy, and bought some FUJI DVD-R disks, in a bundle of 25. I thought that this would be a pretty stable brand to start off with. I recorded 4 seperste shows for my kids, from Playhouse Disney. I recorded on the SP Mode. I noticed on the last program that was recorded, some instances of Blurring or Streaking of the images. I dont know if this is a fauly disc, or if this is a common thing that occurs. But I would hope that on more importand things, that I would like to copy, or record, this would not occur. Is there a Specific Brand of DVD-R disc that works consistent with this machine? I only saw Fuji, Memorex, or TDK at best Buy, as far as names that I was familiar with, from my Tapre Recording days. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The spindled Fuji discs are actually rebranded Ritek discs.

Unlike grades of videotape, disc media has nothing to do with image quality and would not introduce things like "blurring and streaking".

Problem media will produce playback problems such as disc freezing, digital breakup and pixelation. Maybe one of these problems is actually what was being produced. You didn't indicate if you were playing back on the E-80 or using a DVD player, which also is a factor in tracking down the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff,

Yes, the image of blurring or streaking, was probably somewhat Pixel Like. It was very brief, and happened twice within a few seconds of each other. I was playing the disc back on my Pioneer DV-525 DVD Player. I did not check to see if it happened on the E80. The Pioneer DV-525 machine was considered a pretty well regarded machine, I have 2 of them. They seem to play just about everything I have ever thrown at them, from VCDs to various types of DVDs I have bought at Flea Market vendors, such as current movies, or out of print movies, that they were selling on either VCD or DVD. I assume most of these copies have come from Computer Burners. And yes, I have had some Pixel problems with some of them. I also have a Initial 7" Portable player from Walmart, and a KLH machine from Best Buy. I did not check to see if the problem was present on those. But is there any discs that perform better than others for this problem? Other than the 2 small instances I am referring to, the quality looked great on the Pioneer DV-525.

Ray

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi, Ray. Never met another Ray I didn't like. But I digress.

JeffWld is correct that the media would not cause streaking. In my experience with the E80, bad disks most often cause errors that keep them from being finalized or that prevent the finishing of a recording. So far, the Fujis have given me no problems with either (BeAlls, on the other hand...)

I have two questions:

1. Were you recording directly onto DVD-R or were you recording first to the HDD and then copying over? If the latter, were you dubbing at high speed or some other setting?

2. What was the source of the program (cable, digital cable, digital satellite)? Is it possible the transmission on the final program was messed up or processed badly at the source? Even megacorporate VTRs and film chains mess up from time to time.

OK, actually, that's four questions, but I hope we can help you track down the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Dr. Ray,

Thanks for responding. I was recording directly to DVD-R. I am recording from Regular Cable TV. It is Coax. No Cable Box or anything like that, or a Digital Cable Box, The Cable TV just comes straight in from Coax Cable. I guess anything is possible, as far as where it was broadcast from. But it did kind of look like the Little Squares, or Pixels, when it occurred. This was my very first recording to DVD-R, and only my second recording overall. The machine is brand new, I just got it, 2 days prior, and went out and bought these Fuji Disks. There is a guy at a Flea Market I go to, that sells Princo 1x and so on Discs, I can get better pricing, but didn't want to buy any quantities as of yet, till I could find out what sort of disks work well with the Panasonic DMR-E80. I thought that I had read somewhere in past, that if a disk is to have some errors, it would generally occur near the edges, or at the later parts of a recording, closer to filling up the disc. But I still had about 25 minutes remaining on this disc, anyway.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
With the additional information that's been provided, I'll make a suggestion:

Your Pioneer DVD player should be quite friendly to DVD-R's produced on the E-80, so I'm suspecting that the root cause of the problem is the media. (see my response in the thread titled "Defective Riteks"). I'm betting that the combination of the E-80, Ritek media, and the firmware in your Pioneer player are causing the problem. This theory can be tested by trying a recording on either Maxell or Verbatim media-then see if the problem goes away.

Even better: see if you can get a Fuji jewel-cased blank. These are manufactured by Taiyo-Yuden for Fuji. If this proves successful, you'll be able to establish that the Ritek media is giving your Pioneer player some headaches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information. So, it sounds like I need to be more concerned with Media being suited, or better for my Pioneer DV-525, than the E80H itself? I didnt know too much about all of this. My Pioneer is a few years old, but has been a very good player, in all respects. But I understand what you are saying. Is there ever a place to find more reasonable prices for the Better Name Discs, than say Best Buy, or Staples, Office Max, etc.... because it will be hard to afford discs, at the rate Id like to use them, at the prices that these stores charge. WOuld the Verbatim be a decent choice to try out? I will try a Jewell Cased Fuji as well.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ray,

I was asking about the source because I thought some of the problem might have been digital compression at that end, but your answer excludes that possibility.

You might take JeffWld's advice and try one of the Japanese Fujis. BestBuy has 4x Fujis for $15 for 10 with a rebate ($1.50 each is more than the $1.20 or so you probably paid for the others, but they are better). Besides, it sounds like you just want to test one or two disks to see if the player does or doesn't like them.

You might also see what CompUSA, Curcuit City, Fry's or even some place like Target or Walmart have to offer, if you live close enough. Panasonic, TDK, and Apple seem to work for most people. Made in Japan is probably preferable to made in Taiwan. Maybe it's better to go on that basis for the Fujis rather than the speed (I have some Fuji 1x that are made in Japan).

Of course, the OTHER possibility, sitting in the middle of the room unmentioned like some giant green and purple elephant in bad need of several long showers is that the pixelization could have come from....

the E80 itself.

Usually, SP is pretty good for keeping up with movement, but if the sequence was extra-action-packed, maybe the processor hiccupped.

Also, perhaps the disc you used had one bad sector or dust got on it (either when recording or playing back). Have you tried playing it back in the E80 yet?

One more possibility... purple-dyed gremlins!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doc Ray,

This is really weird. I played the disc again on the Pioneer DV-525. Really the quality looks great, very crisp, clean, etc.. but there are those few times, that the pixel problem appears, as I say, its very brief, seconds or so each time. But if this was to occur all the time, I would be pissed. So, I took the disc to another room, and tried it on a cheap KLH DVD player from Best Buy, was about 40 dollars. It played without the Pixel problem. I also tried it on the Initial 7" Portable DVD player, and didnt notice the Pixel problem areas. With this being the case, is there anything I can do, to find a disc that would be more suitable for the Pioneer player? Have you, or anyone else, ever encountered anything like this? PLays fine on all of the players, but will show some slight Pixel problems, very briefly on the one DVD player, the Pioneer DV-525?

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've never had that happen. Does the pixel problem occur at the same place in the disc each time? If not, or maybe even if so, here's an idea (no guarantee it's a good one).

Have you thought of trying one of the DVD lens cleaning discs on the player? It sounds like you're having fewer problems with players that are newer; if the machine has had a lot of use on flea market VCD and DVDs, maybe it's lens is clean enough to handle commercial stuff, but just dirty enough to give it problems with some less studly software. I think you said you had some pixel problems with the flea market stuff, too.

Just a possiblity.

It's good to hear that you've got the disc working in some players, anyway.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Jeffwild and Doctor ray- Would you recommend the best buy fuji -r blanks?- I Have seemed to have had good luck. What is better?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rayr2
Doc Ray,

Have you, or anyone else, ever encountered anything like this? PLays fine on all of the players, but will show some slight Pixel problems, very briefly on the one DVD player, the Pioneer DV-525?

Thanks, Ray
Yes. This situation is quite common. I have a Panasonic RV32 player that absolutely hates Ritek media and stutters and pixelates on any recording coming from a Panasonic standalone. Yet, I can play back the same disc problem-free on my RP-91, RP-82, and Toshiba 2800.

I believe that you will simply have to experiment to determine which media brands work best in your Pioneer player.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have had this happen on my HS2... And it was mostly at the end part of the disk (at least halfway through the disk, and it would get worse as it got towards the end). I played the disk in another dvd player as well as my PC and same thing - so that's where the difference is.

it would do a split second of pixellation, or sometimes skip a section. Sometimes the split second freeze/pixellation caused an effect of streaking due to the mpeg stream being messed up (either the data or the unit gets confused and it tries to compensate).

This was purely due to the disks. The quality was poor. I got better disks and no more problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys,

Just prior to buying the Panasonic E80H, I was emailing with various people who already owned one. And one guy, in particular, who does alot of movie copying, and shows, etc... says he foes through 100 disks in a month or so. Now, he claimed that he had many problems with Ritek Discs, but it seemed to me, his problem were with the Ritek and the E80H, getting bad discs, that would not record, etc.... He told me, that he had very good luck with Princo 1x Blanks. He says he has been getting them by the hundreds off of Ebay. My concern was, I did not want to buy a large bulk of them, if I may have problems with them, and my Pioneers players. I also read where some people, with the E80 machine, absolutely hate the Princo Discs, and call them cheap garbage. Then I read a Post, where someone tried to correct those people, claiming that you must get Princo 1x, Grade A discs, not the Grade B discs. He said the Grade B Princo's are garbage, but the Grade A Princo were very good. I would not know how to tell the difference in the two. ANyone familiar with this?

Also, Doc Ray, what is a decent cleaning lens for the DVD player? I used to repair VCRs. and do internal cleanings. etc... and the Cleaning Tapes, were actually garbage. So, I didnt know if the same held true with the DVD Cleaners. Or maybe if there is a good brand of one out there.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have not used a lens cleaner myself on a DVD player, but have used them on CD players. TDK, Maxell, Allsop, and Discwasher all make them, as well as Recoton, Memorex and some lesser-known brands. They seem to sell for around $10 online. B&H Photo, a pretty reliable retailer, stocks the TDK
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=293869

Apparently, the MAXELL comes with diagnostic abilities, according to this vendor
http://www.thevideodoctor.com/pages/DVD-LC.htm

And, of course, this site says you should never use a lens cleaner
http://www.plasma.com/DVDFAQ.HTM

And this fellow says to take the drive apart and use compressed air (for an X-box)
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/c..._dvd_drive.htm

As do these folks
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread/t-70259.html

This site says you shouldn't need a cleaner, but is sort of non-commital...
http://www.timefordvd.com/faqs/FAQsD...inemaintenance

Panasonic reccommends using a lens cleaner, which they will sell you, of course...
http://panasonic.jp/dvdram/english/qa/maint_02.htm

All kinds of advice here...
http://forums.cd-rw.org/thread_view.cfm/12018

Lastly, just in case we think this only applies to our home-made discs, here's a bunch of COMMERCIAL discs that are sort of "differently enabled"
http://www.dvd-helper.com/pages/disk.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.