AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Huges E86 and do not like the guides. I thought my old Sony Ultimate TV reciver was MUCH better. Does the HD200 have similar guides?

Also, the E86 flips through channels/guide MUCH quicker in SD than in HD. Is this a normal 'feature'?

Other than that, picture quality seems good. I have 25 days left to decide if I want to keep this reciever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are a couple of options for amount of info and size of the guide, plus you have the single-line guide. I don't know what the Sony Ultimate TV looks like, so I can't comment further.

Flipping to local OTA HD broadcasts does take longer on my receiver, sometimes a lot longer than satellite channels depending on the local channel. I haven't noticed much difference, though, when flipping to an HD satellite channel (HDNet, HBOHD, SHOHD). Perhaps it is a little bit slower, but not significantly. This is through component out for both HD and SD. I have noticed a lot of guide slowdown when on an HD channel, though.

All in all I like my E86. I was considering moving to the Sony HD200, but I'm putting that off for now to see what other receivers are coming out next year. I would really like to see a PVR unit with HD capability, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The E-86 is a much better performer with the latest software. Ver. 5099 comes automatically overnight when connected to a dish.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Pat...is there anywhere to find the SW release notes for all Hughes systems. I have a E86 and the GAEBO. Also would be interested in release history.

Howard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'll check and see if my reciever has taken the firmware update yet.

I have both the E86 and the UTV reciever in my rack now. They both do different things better. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the E86 get's off-air HD. It also uses 'Advanced Program Guide' to integrate your OTA and DSS channels in one menu.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With Directv (Hughes, etc.) I have chosen to insert my HD channels in turbo tune. When you push 'select' it brings up the 9 favorite channels; just click on a channel and it goes to it less than a second.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With Directv (Hughes, etc.) I have chosen to insert my HD channels in turbo tune. When you push 'select' it brings up the 9 favorite channels; just click on a channel and it goes to it less than a second.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a pronto page just for my HDTV channels with logos et al.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hbrenner
Hey Pat...is there anywhere to find the SW release notes for all Hughes systems. I have a E86 and the GAEBO. Also would be interested in release history.

Howard
I have basically the same boxes. I can tell you my GAEBO is running ver 5475 updated 10/23/02 and my 2 Hughes clone DST-3000s are running ver 5099 updated 4/23/02 and 4/30/02. The DST-3000s are replacement boxes which got their upgrades the night after their installations. I haven't had any further problems with them after adding cooling fans. Do a search on E-86 and fans for further info.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks, I can check the box itself. I know my GAEBO isn't or hasn't been off since before that date so I may need to power down for the night to get the upgrade. MY E86 is under constant cooling. I only ran it 3 days before getting a fan. He lives happily at 77 degrees and all is well. I am planning on putting in a home made thermostatic fan as well, one constant while power on and one to operate when it hits 85 degrees or so (but I may just leave the one on all the time instead). So you do not know any web site with the SW histories? Thanks again

Howard

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Others have reported the boxes upgrade even if left on. I know of no upgrade historical info in one place. There was a thread here about problems people with the Hughes built HD boxes losing OTA stations when a software change from scan to database sourcing of OTA info took place. It has lots of date/version content. I have a text file saved with the procedure to fix the problem dated 6/15/02 so the upgrade to database tracking over channel scanning took place before that. That element probably speeded up the box's response time more than anything else.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats okay. I used to be a E* customer, they had a FAQ somewhere with what version was the latest (sort of thing), but was damn impossible to fine 2 times in a row. Oh well I will live at the mercy of the provider (kind of like tron huh). Thanks again

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey pat you may want to check you GAEBO. I looked at mine and the only way to get the version was to do a test...it reported the version to be 5599.1.3 I left the system off over night and no upgrade (doesn't require a phone line does it?). Anyway the upgrade menu says no known last upgrade. Just an FYI

Howard

BTW my E86 is at 5099

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The phone line has nothing to do with upgrades. That is only for PPV and other billing info.

The upgrades come from DirecTV via satellite.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats what I though, but wasn't sure.

thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.