Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I moved a few months ago...and the optical out on my E86 hasn't been working properly...err, at all I mean. I've turned it on and off in the menu, but still nothing. The little red laser continues to shine, but no sound...I've tried different cables and inputs on my home theater receiver...no go...it's the E86.

It appears that the optical out only works for about 5 mins then quits...weird...if I unplug my IRD and plug it back in, the sound will not work...but if I unplug the IRD for >5-10 mins and then plug it back in, the audio will work for ~5 mins, then quit. Is it a temperature thing? It appears that as soon as the IRD is on for ~ 5 mins, the audio shuts off, but only if the IRD has been unplugged for a while...I dunno...I'm clueless on what to do....I live in the boonies and the nearest service center is out of state.

I bought my E86 on fleabay for a good deal (at the time) over a year ago...so no returning it...

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is do any of you audio gurus know if I'm screwed? I mean, I opened my IRD and nothing looked "fried"....is this a common problem and can it be fixed?

Watching stuff in HD with just stereo sound bites!

TIA,

BBQ

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Heat is indeed a common problem with these sets. Lots of us put a small fan on top to cool the box. A search of E86 and fan will reveal a lot of posts on the subject.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea...but I really don't think "heat" per se is the problem, because it happens so quick. The IRD doesn't get that hot in only 5 mins...

I guess I'll just have to live with it, like I have been, until the HD Tivo is out...

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BBQ-AllStar
Yea...but I really don't think "heat" per se is the problem, because it happens so quick. The IRD doesn't get that hot in only 5 mins...
That is quick but still would seem to be heat related because it does take some time. Try a fan and see if the time changes. My experience is that prolonged overheating causes the failure onset to take less time until the unit never works. The degree of damage could be at a point where a fan won't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.