Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Strange problem developed with my Hughes E86 this morning, and I'm just wondering what the cause can be.

I currently receive my local channels through DirecTV, and have an OTA antenna for HD

When I first installed the system, I did a scan of my local zip code, and it picked up all the digital as well as analog stations... since I already have locals via DirecTV, I turned off the OTA analog, and just kept the digital stations in my guide.

Everything's been working perfectly, except for this morning... Here's the problem:

When I am in the guide, I see "2", "2-1", "4", "4-1", etc.... (no problems there)

If I select "2" from the guide, I get analog FOX (via DirecTV locals)

If I select "2-1" from the guide, I get HD FOX (via OTA)

[thus far no problems]

However, if I do NOT use the guide, and just enter "2" from the remote, it jumps to the analog "2" from OTA (very bad reception)...

So it seems that if I use the guide and go to locals, I have no problem (locals via DTV)

But if I manually enter the channel through the remote, it sends me to the OTA version of the local channel

This has just begun to happen this morning, and I have not done anything to the setup...

Quite annoying.... anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Thanks!

By the way, I've already done a soft-boot, hard-boot, and the problem's still there. My cheapo RCA box upstairs does not have this problem, so I am inclined to believe that it's not a DirecTV issue, but rather, a Hughes issue.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
To get the local OTA DTV station you must enter "2-1" manually on the remote. Entering "2" or "2-0" will get you the analog service via DirecTV or your antenna.

My E86 clone (a Mitsubishi SR-HD5) has always worked this way, as does my RCA DTC100 and Zenith IQB64W10W's built-in ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the reply

This issue's not with the digital stations... they're fine

By entering "2" on the remote, I used to get the analog channel via DirecTV ... but for some reason, when I enter "2" on the remote this morning, I now get the analog channel via OTA

quite strange...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Do you get the local analogs via DirecTV when you go down from the OTA channel via the remote?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Have you looked in the Local Area to see if the analog locals might have somehow become checked?

If they are not, you might be the victim of another heat induced E86 quirk. See the E86 fan thread in this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
DirecTV subscribers with available locals via dish should get the D* local channel in the form CH## when direct keying whether they subscribe to locals or not. They are on the top of the list of identical channel numbers and direct keying ignores the channel lists. Tommer_2 is reporting something I've never seen before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the E86 is still doing this weird thing this evening... I've tried everything

When I enter "2" via the remote, it goes to the OTA version of "2", then if I hit channel "up", it goes to the DirecTV version... but accessing through the guide goes right to the DirecTV version...

None of the OTA analog stations are checked in any of the setup screens.... I have not done any setup changes at all, and this just started happening today...

The problem goes away if I completely remove the OTA reference in my setup... but then of course, my HD channels also go away :(

I am so thoroughly confused...

:(

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
tommer,

I too had the same problem as you for a while. I didnt have locals via D*, and hated pushing 2 or 3 or whatever to get the analog OTA but get the D* local. I even posted on how to change it. No way to change it I was told.

Then about a month or two ago, my E86 started to work like yours, push 3 get 3 OTA. I was happy and posted about this also. Then after a couple of days it went back to defaulting to the D* local, and has been that way since. Although I cant help you with the cause or solutions, I can tell you that at least you arent crazy!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow... i've been having the exact same problem... my problem is worse, since now my tivo records OTA locals instead of the more clear version via D*. I noticed it 2 days ago.. and spent 3 hours fiddling with my E86 setup options with no luck. I'm so frustrated now, since when i want to watch Tivo'd programs... they are coming out fuzzy since my analog OTA channels are really poor. So here's the deal.... when tivo enters say NBC 3.... its keys in 0-0-3-enter, so for the past 6 months since i've had the E86, it has always changed to SA3 which is the D* version of NBC 3, now it goes to 3 the analog OTA version... so anytime i use the Tivo remote to change channels... it gets this result.. When i push channel up and down on my E86 remote.. it follows the E86 guide and will give me all D8 channels SA2, SA3, SA4 etc..... i'm really confused about this, hopefully some of you out there can come up with an answer... and fast..... i'm not going to be home to watch Alias this sun... and i want a clear recording of it!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't looked into it in depth yet, but I am now missing my Directv local channels in my guide. Not sure if it's related to this situation. My E86 isn't in a cabinet so heat shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David McRoy
Apparently there's a May 7 software update download from DirecTV comming to fix this. See the post that was made at 8:16 p. m. yesterday on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...15#post2170215
Oddly, I checked my on screen version # last night and there was no mention of any scheduled updates.

Anyone else showing 5/7 as the next scheduled update for their E86 or Hughes Clone??

:confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
my e86 has always done the same thing toomer is saying. if i direct key channel 2 i get my channel 2 OTA analog. channel up gives me my directv feed of analog 2, channel up again gets me 2.1 digital OTA.

I really don't have too big a problem with it, I just thought they all did that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The way I've always gotten around this is to edit my channel list for one of favorites to show the channels I want. Some locals come in better than the directv versions and vice-versa. Once this is done, no matter how I navigate to the channel (in the context of the favorite list), I get the version of the channel I want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BradZ

That's interesting to hear... my E86 has never done this... only just recently....

And it's out in the open (not in a cabinet), so it should get plenty of airflow...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine behaves differently, depending on the channel. I'm also in the SF Bay area, so the channel numbers should be the same for you:

pressing 2, 4, 5, or 9 gets me the over the air channel thats coming from my over-the-air antenna

pressing 7 or 11 gets me SF07 or SF11, respectively, from directv

[the channels from 14 to 66 behave differently, also]

Also, having your box out in the open does not prevent the overheating and subsequent strange problems. I've had all mine out in the open and they have lasted on average about a month before I've had to swap them under warranty. I have since succumbed and bought a fan, but unit #4 is continuing to go downhill and will have to be swapped soon. Hopefully cooling the next one with a fan from day one will avoid the monthly ritual in future.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Try this hard reboot from Mitsubishi:

Uncheck local OTA channels. Exit via 'Done' Set 'Local 1' to 'None'. Done

Clear zip code. Done

Update guide. (Automatic)

Exit menus via 'Done'.

Exit main menu via 'Video'.

Turn off receiver and TV.

Unplug receiver and detach satellite input. Replug and reattach after 2 minutes.

Turn on receiver and TV.

Set 'Local 1' to 'Antenna'.

Scan local channels.

Insert zip code

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wjbjr,

I've done that, and basically all other versions of anything even remotely similar... but no luck.. problem still there :(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.