AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liver near the Miami downtown area (Brickell / Coconut Grove ) I obtain 100 strength on all my UHF Digital channel but my VHF 8 and 9 / Fox and ABC cannot obtain a signal strength greater than 30 thus leading to persistent dropouts. I have an E 86 Hughes (with latest software update 5104) and VHF/UHF outdoor antennae professionally installed and grounded by a local antenna/satellite dealer. I have adjusted the antennae with no improvent in the VHF reception. My installer has re-eval my setup and states my signal strength for local fox and Abc is strong. I believe him because my Panasonic HDTV receiver delivers a great picture on fox and abc with no pixelation (unfortunately this receiver has no signal meter) and my analog ABC and Fox picture is great on both receivers ! I had my E 86 replaced and Fans placed near it with no improvement. Recently I plugged in RCA rabbit ear type antennae and remarkably I get a signal strength 60-70 on FOX/ABC with a good picture. What wrong with my antennae ? Could my signal be too strong for my E 86 ?? Appreciate any input /tips in correcting this problem .

PS … there are some buildings 2 blocks away and some large trees nearby.

THANKS IN ADVANCE ..

·
Super Moderator
19,492 Posts
Could be multipath from the buildings that doesn't show up on your analogs. Or you could be getting too MUCH signal from somewhere. Could be something as simple as a really close FM station. As close to downtown as you are, I'd bet on the multipath.

We have a guy on the Cincinnati forum who had fits with an outdoor antenna. He was downtown (multipath hell) and within 2 - 3 miles of all of the transmitters. Too much signal. Switched him to $10 rabbit ears and all has been well ever since.

Doc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.