AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes E86 and an RCA DTC-100 hooked up to the same TV and antenna. The E86 is hooked up through the component connection and the RCA through the RGB port. This has probably been dicsussed before, but from my observations the DTC100 OTA substantially outperforms the E86. The signal strength has much less fluctuation and when the antenna is pionted at my "sweet spot" the RCA gets reception on 2 more digital channels then the E86. I dont know why this is the case, but I thought I would pass my findings along.

·
Registered
780 Posts
About 12 months ago I ran the same experiment with similar results. My RCA DTC 100's are still running fine.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I am actually surprised by this. I have no experience with the E86 but I do have three DTC-100s. I have compared the DTC to the Panny TU-DST50 and the Mits PM tuner and the DTC was not as good as the Panny and the Mits. The Mits smoked them all. All did pick up all of the available channels but the Mits was free of drops on a channel that is problematic here in Chicago.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have the Hughes, DTC-100 and Promise Module all connected to the same antenna, and the Hughes and PM are very close in reception, both somewhat stronger than the DTC-100. On stations,my Hughes signal meter shows 100%, the DTC-100 only gets about 65%. Both will receive a watchable image down to about 38-40% then the pixilating begins. The PM doesn't have a meter but is on the same TV as the Hughes and pretty much is consistent with the Hughes. I do get less signal fluctuation with the PM then the Hughes, however.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have a DTC-100 and an E86 on the same antenna and the same Mits TV. I have done extensive POP comparisons and find the reception equal on the two units, but, I live close enough to all of the transmitters such that none of my OTA channels are difficult to receive.

Most of my comparing focused on PQ and dropouts. Once the TV inputs are each set up properly, the PQ appears to be identical (on a Mits 48311--bigger screens might show differences that I cannot see on mine). We have one local channel that we thought had regular dropouts, but we are convinced that it is a station problem, since many of us see the same problems in different parts of the metro area on a variety of receivers.

So, PQ and dropout performance for me is equal for the 2 boxes. Of course, YMMV.

The big difference between them has to do with program guides and channel navigation.

The DTC-100 receives and displays OTA PSIP information, including program guides. Its DirecTV guide is the older EPG, not the APG. The DTC-100 also gives more info about the channel received, such as indicators of ATSC broadcast formats.

The E86 appears to use PSIP only for real to logical channel mapping, and only when the APG does not include a particular local channel. OTA PSIP program guides are not supported at all, but, DirecTV Advanced Program Guides include OTA analog and digital channels (if DirecTV has their data straight).

The E86 offers a single, integrated channel list making channel changing easy between OTA, cable and satellite channels. The DTC-100 requires user specification of one of three inputs, each having its own group of channels--one for satellite and two for OTA or cable.

In the end, the E86 is much more user friendly as long as the APG data is correct for local channels.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck_sf
Hi Apps1

Did you happen to notice a difference in picture quality between the two on non hi. def. channels?

Charles

I dont notice any difference in the picture quality.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have had both. The "signal strength" is a fictional number which should not be used to compare the two receivers. It will be too dependent on the internal software mechanisms. The key is if you have fewer dropouts on one box vs the other. My experience has been that there was no decernable difference in dropouts.

I suspect that the a particular antennae is better suited to one vs the other or that the particular noise issues is better suited to one. For example, ghosting might be a bigger issue with one vs the other.

I personally have a Yagi and a Eight bay bow tie antennae. I find that 99.9% of the time one antennae or the other will work without dropouts. Each antennae will work about 80% of the time.

I think that you would for sure notice a picture difference between the 480i outputs. However, this is more a matter of taste. The RCA has more exagerated colors and the Huhges is more muted. I found that I had to keep adjusting my TV with the RCA box on 480i. I couldn't really see any difference on the component outputs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.