AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ multiswitch to work with a new oval DirecTV dish. I fed the four RG6 cables from the dish to the four SAT connections on the switch and one OTA RG6 cable from an attic antenna to the antenna input on the switch. The DirecTV channels come in great using a Samsung SIR-TS160 STB and a Sony 34XBR910 TV. However, the local channels are very noisy when viewed in TV mode on all my other STD TV sets. If I unplug the AC transformer from the switch, the local channels look great with no noise but the SAT channels don't make it out of the switch naturally. If I DIPLEX the OTA antenna into the SAT feeds out of the Eagle Aspen switch (and not feed the OTA antenna through the switch), both the SAT and OTA channels look great. For some reason, the switch seems to be impressing noise on the OTA antenna feeds. I am only about 7 miles from the broadcast TV towers so I have lots of signal. I think I am going to have to use a 1X8 splitter on the antenna feed and DIPLEX the antenna feeds into each of the eight SAT output feeds from the switch. It will look like spaghetti when I do this but will give me a better OTA picture.

Has anyone run into this problem? Did I waste money buying a 5X8 switch instead of a 4X8 switch plus 8 diplexers?

Thanks, Art

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I've got to wonder if the transformer in the power supply is radiating into the antenna. Can you try moving it farther away from the antenna?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but have a similar question - using a Terk BMS 58 with antenna feed to the antenna in on the MS. I have a CM 7777 preamp with a CM 4021 in my attic. I am currently powering the preamp in the attic (20 feet from the antennna) then sending the line to the Terk MS. I get decent reception on all DC channels - but spotty on Baltimore.

The Terk MS specs state that it will pass DC power to an antenna preamp.

Tried it last weekend by moving the power near the tv (but prior to the diplexer). Got zilch for OTA - did not affect D* signals adversely at all.

Any thoughts??

Thanks for any input.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The BMS-58 passes the 24VDC from the Multiswitch's power supply out the antenna connector. It's perfect for the 7777. Just don't use the preamp's power supply.

·
Registered
655 Posts
aprest,

I have seen this with a few that we sell.

Try moving the power supply.

Also, try re-screwing the f-connector down, check for grounding the power supply.

Did you use all 8 outputs?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried moving the power supply about six feet awy from the switch and tightened all the connections with only a slight improvement. I don't see a place to ground the power supply.

I am giving up and going with Diplexers downstream of the Eagle Aspen switch. I was previously using a 3X8 switch on my old dish and the OTA TV channels were never as good after passing them through the switch as they were straight off the antenna.

As for BruceL's comments, I live in MD just outside of DC, and have tried using a CM 777 and never had any luck with it. More snow with it than without it.

Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.