AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many posts on earbuds on these forums, but this forum is supposed to also include headphones, so I might as well...

My girlfriend's original apple headphones broke and she is currently using a cheap "Trisonic" IEM from a 99 cents store. I think they sound tinny, but she thinks they sound fine.

Coincidentally, I'm her secret santa. The limit is $20 and she requested Apple earbuds. The originals cost $30 on Apple, which I'm not opposed to getting, but I hear they are not all that great to begin with. So...

My plan is to get a " genuine " pair off Ebay. Whether these are authentic or not, I don't know. But I'm buying it more for the retail-box look more than anything else. If anyone knows where I can get authentic ones for cheap (retail box or not), I'm all ears.

I'm hoping to get another pair of non-Apple earbuds (IEM or otherwise) for her that will be better. Any suggestions? I hear decent things about MEElectronics M9 ($15), SoundMagic PL30 ($23), Sennheiser MX-471 ($17), Sony MDR-EX36V ($15).... At this price point, are they actually better than the apple ones? I though the apple ones were decent enough.

I know there are better ones out there above $25. Brainwavz M1, ViSang R02, NuForce NE-6, etc. around $40. But I'm just looking for something with better sound than the stock apple buds at less-than-apple prices.

(BTW, I'm not cheaping out on my gf. I'm getting her a separate non-secret-santa gift.)

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than to guess...no one allows you to try them. That being said, earbuds themselves as a design is only so so for sound quality. Earphones (inear with a seal) make a substantial improvement, but you probably won't find many in that price range and fair warning they take getting used to (I own a $300 pair and it took some adjusting as you need a good seal).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts