AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have difficulty hearing, looking for earbuds that will provide enough volume for me to hear. I have some cheap Sansa buds with foam earpieces that provide way more volume than much more expensive buds I've tried. Is there any way to tell which buds would be best for this? No way to try them out first so it feels like a crapshoot. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Do you need earbuds only? Or are IEMs OK, too?

The reason I ask is that there are probably more IEMs on the market than ear buds.

Plus, IEMs tend to be more isolating, which means background noise won't affect as much how loud you need to turn them up.

Meanwhile, to get to the answer to your question, sensitivity is a measure of the amount of power to reach a certain volume. So higher sensitivity equals more volume. Except the impedance rating has an affect on that. However, if you go with 16 or 32 ohm eardbuds or IEMs with a high sensitivity rating, you will be fine.

Here is a huge lists of reviews (mostly IEMs) where each has the impedance and sensitivity rating.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...ed-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106

Pick ones with a higher sensitivity rating. If you want a lot of volume, I'd suggest close to 110 db rating or above. And of course, pick one that fits your budget that has the sound profile that seems interesting to you. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cel, appreciate the info! I've never looked at IEMs - don't have a need for headphones too often, but I have a few long plane flights coming up soon. Hard to find rankings by sensitivity, and who knows whether the numbers put out by manufacturers are accurate. But at least it's a place to start, thanks again!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Definitely look into IEMs, then. Some of them have really good isolation, so nice to wear on a plane, and in that list of IEM reviews, each one has sensitivity ratings, so you should be all set :)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Those will be plenty powerful enough. Looks like they also come with a bunch of different tips to try. That way you can see which one gives you the best fit.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried out the Brainwavz M1 today, not too impressed so far, though part of the problem may be the difficulty of properly inserting these things. I've tried several different tip sizes without much luck (and I wear hearing aids, so I'm pretty familiar with inserting stuff into my ears)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Yeah, sorry about that. Sometimes I find a pair that just don't want to fit me right no matter what I do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suggesttion

I have difficulty hearing, looking for earbuds that will provide enough volume for me to hear. I have some cheap Sansa buds with foam earpieces that provide way more volume than much more expensive buds I've tried. Is there any way to tell which buds would be best for this? No way to try them out first so it feels like a crapshoot. Thanks!
Hi,buddy,I'm so appreciated that we have the same situation,for me,im not rich enough,i can not pursue too much expensive headsets or earbuds,usually i use some practical earbuds like which is called mixcder sh302.you can have a try if you have interests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts