AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LG C9 that I would like to hook my console and PC to to use all the good variable refresh rate and 120 fps and all that. I have an older Onkyo 7.1 A/V receiver (Dolby Atmos capable) and obviously can't use it to run all the fancy things the LG can do.

From what I understand Earc is the way to go but my AV receiver only has arc. Can I just run the Earc from the tv direct to a HDMI and not the arc to get audio? Also the way I look at it, the tv is the one passing the audio from the source to the receiver for audio processing...why would the thing....that can process the audio (Atmos, Dts:x) not be able to RECEIVE that audio source through the arc and process it? All the other HDMI spots can. I just want to be able to get great audio and visual without dropping $1500 on another receiver when this one works fine. Any way I can get this to work?

·
Registered
15,921 Posts
You can use ARC (not eARC) since your AVR supports only ARC. The HDMI cable must be 1.4 or higher. The HDMI cable goes from the ARC-capable output of the AVR to the ARC-capable input of the display (I believe it is HDMI 2 on the C9). There are also some settings that need to be changed (such as turning CEC to "On") - check the instructions for both your AVR and display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I can't just pass through the tv into the receiver? It just kind of sucks that the receiver can handle all these audio formats except through the arc port and I need to buy a $200 dollar piece of equipment or new receiver.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Unfortunately, it's either the $200 device, or a $400 replacement 7.1 Atmos-capable receiver with eARC (Costco Yamaha TSR-700 or Denon AVR-S750H)
At least you could try to sell off the Onkyo to defray costs.

I have a LG C9 that I would like to hook my console and PC to to use all the good variable refresh rate and 120 fps and all that. I have an older Onkyo 7.1 A/V receiver (Dolby Atmos capable) and obviously can't use it to run all the fancy things the LG can do.

I just want to be able to get great audio and visual without dropping $1500 on another receiver when this one works fine. Any way I can get this to work?
So I can't just pass through the tv into the receiver? It just kind of sucks that the receiver can handle all these audio formats except through the arc port and I need to buy a $200 dollar piece of equipment or new receiver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I may, I'd like to piggy back on this topic.
I have a new Sony X95J paired with a Denon x3500h and the eARC works as it passes through audio from all sources including the TV apps.
The issue I'm having is with the HDMI switching where if I'm watching cable and want to switch to one of the TV apps, it looks like the receiver switched from cabl/sat to TV but no audio. Sometimes turning off the receiver and turning it back on fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. What does work oddly enough is if I go to the Disney+ app and start a movie, then the audio kicks in and it will then work if I switch to other TV apps. I've tried setting up the receiver to do auto switching via HDMI control, I've also set it up to switch it manually via the AVR remote and neither seems to make any difference. It's intermittent and I can't successfully replicate the issue to try and pinpoint the exact cause. I work in IT so I troubleshoot things for a living, but this feels like one of those "chasing a ghost" moments.
Any ideas? I can live with the workaround and I don't feel like buying a new receiver just for this, but it would be nice if it worked like it's supposed to.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
92,893 Posts
If I may, I'd like to piggy back on this topic.
I have a new Sony X95J paired with a Denon x3500h and the eARC works as it passes through audio from all sources including the TV apps.
The issue I'm having is with the HDMI switching where if I'm watching cable and want to switch to one of the TV apps, it looks like the receiver switched from cabl/sat to TV but no audio. Sometimes turning off the receiver and turning it back on fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. What does work oddly enough is if I go to the Disney+ app and start a movie, then the audio kicks in and it will then work if I switch to other TV apps. I've tried setting up the receiver to do auto switching via HDMI control, I've also set it up to switch it manually via the AVR remote and neither seems to make any difference. It's intermittent and I can't successfully replicate the issue to try and pinpoint the exact cause. I work in IT so I troubleshoot things for a living, but this feels like one of those "chasing a ghost" moments.
Any ideas? I can live with the workaround and I don't feel like buying a new receiver just for this, but it would be nice if it worked like it's supposed to.

Thanks
HDMI handshake issues have been around for years although mostly depend on the sources in question. Consider using a 3rd party streaming device (eg. Roku, Firestick, AppleTV, etc.) connected directly to the AVR instead of using the TV's on board apps and eARC.

For further help, the X3500H is a 2018 model best discussed in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread ...

"OFFICIAL" 2018 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) | AVS Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts