AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, what exactly is eARC or ARC on a TV. I read an article but I don't think it explained it well. Is it used when your audio source is the TV itself (ie: lets say you are watching Netflix) and you want the audio to go to your AVR? Right now I have an optical cable from my TV to my AVR to handle the audio and an HDMI for the video. So is eARC/ARC used so the audio goes to the AVR using the same HDMI cable as the video? Here's my situation. I have to replace my current TV in my basement HT. I mainly play movies from my windows 10 PC or bluray player. They are both connected to my Denon X3400H receiver. would replacing my TV with one that has eARC be beneficial to me?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
ARC= Audio Return Channel eARC= Enhanced ARC. Yes, they allow audio to play back to the Receiver from the TV on the same cable you could send Video to the TV on...it's a 2 way street.

ARC/eARC allow for higher quality sound formats to be relayed to your receiver from/through the TV, with the newer eARC (higher bandwidth, so more sound data) allowing for some lossless formats and things like ATMOS. But being new eARC can have some issues as manufacturers don't have it all ironed out fully yet.

Depends on your setup if beneficial... do you connect external devices to the receiver or the TV ? If everything goes to Receiver, then probably of limited benefit as TV internal apps usually have lower quality sound formats that won't be a whole lot better than the optical cable (but optical is the lowest quality for sound formats), still get basic DD 5.1. If your connecting things mostly to your TV (example: because better video format on TV port than receiver can pass), then having ARC/eARC will be an upgrade if they output higher sound formats.

Example: the new PS5 can output HDMI 2.1 which can be higher video format than most receivers can pass, so people will connect it directly to a HDMI 2.1 capable TV and then send the audio back to the receiver through ARC/eARC.

As said, eARC can be problematic right now, but also possible it would work, but any TV that can do eARC can do regular ARC which should be more stable.

Up to you how concerned you are about higher audio formats.

Reactions: joeblow

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I mainly play movies from my windows 10 PC or bluray player. They are both connected to my Denon X3400H receiver. would replacing my TV with one that has eARC be beneficial to me?
No. Normal ARC will be sufficient. eARC is mostly for those with soundbars or who for whatever reason have their display sources connected direct to the TV, versus connected to an AVR. The streaming apps such as Netflix, Prime etc on a TV all use lossy codecs which only need ARC.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, why couldn't that site explain the way you guys did? in my basement HT, I rarely use the TV apps, but on my family room HT I use netflix and plex alot and use an optical cable. Not sure if my AVR and TV have ARC. I notice that whenever I put my AVR on TV source (ie: using netflix or plex on my TV), I can't use the OSD on my AVR such as adjusting individual speaker volumes. The same on my Denon AVR in my basement. If I were to use ARC or eARC, would I be able to make those adjustments on my AVR?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, does eARC and ARC need a special HDMI cable?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
thanks guys, why couldn't that site explain the way you guys did? in my basement HT, I rarely use the TV apps, but on my family room HT I use netflix and plex alot and use an optical cable. Not sure if my AVR and TV have ARC. I notice that whenever I put my AVR on TV source (ie: using netflix or plex on my TV), I can't use the OSD on my AVR such as adjusting individual speaker volumes. The same on my Denon AVR in my basement. If I were to use ARC or eARC, would I be able to make those adjustments on my AVR?
Your Receivers GUI gets overlaid on video coming out of it...If the video your watching is not coming from the Receiver (watching TV internal app or OTA) then you can't see the GUI as the video isn't coming through the Receiver. ARC/eARC doesn't change that.

also, does eARC and ARC need a special HDMI cable?
Regular ARC should work with most any HDMI cable. eARC may need a newer high speed HDMI cable.. in theory it shouldn't, but have seen reports of eARC issues that were resolved with the new high speed cables.

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread instead of beginning a new similar one. Here's my dilemma which I'd appreciate help with.

I have an Atmos setup, 4 ceiling, 2 rear surrounds, 2 side surrounds, LCR, and two subs. It all goes through a Marantz 8802A which has multiple amps connected to it. The display, until last week, was a five year old LG 86". All worked fine. Not sure if the TV had earc or just arc.

This past weekend I became the proud owner of the new Sony A90J 83". I connected the HDMI cable, which is relatively new from Blue Jeans Cable, to earc on the TV. I also connected an optical cable to the Marantz for Netflix, etc.

The problem now is the sound is so irregular it's ridiculous at times. Some commercials (and I know they can vary in volume but not like this) are very loud, others are very quiet. Some shows on regular TV are very low and require a volume on the Marantz of 60 or so, others sound fine. Some are only playing through my center channel. I originally disconnected it (it's a Heresy IV) to use the TV as a center channel but I was not that impressed with it.

Will merely switching to arc from earc solve my issues?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread instead of beginning a new similar one. Here's my dilemma which I'd appreciate help with.

I have an Atmos setup, 4 ceiling, 2 rear surrounds, 2 side surrounds, LCR, and two subs. It all goes through a Marantz 8802A which has multiple amps connected to it. The display, until last week, was a five year old LG 86". All worked fine. Not sure if the TV had earc or just arc.

This past weekend I became the proud owner of the new Sony A90J 83". I connected the HDMI cable, which is relatively new from Blue Jeans Cable, to earc on the TV. I also connected an optical cable to the Marantz for Netflix, etc.

The problem now is the sound is so irregular it's ridiculous at times. Some commercials (and I know they can vary in volume but not like this) are very loud, others are very quiet. Some shows on regular TV are very low and require a volume on the Marantz of 60 or so, others sound fine. Some are only playing through my center channel. I originally disconnected it (it's a Heresy IV) to use the TV as a center channel but I was not that impressed with it.

Post this in the A90J forum. You might be surprised to find that you're not alone.;)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

I've had good results turning off eARC in settings on my A80J to my Denon AVR. Now using plain Arc which is fine because all my external HDMI devices plug directly into the Denon AVR, and the internal Sony apps don't use eARC.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts

Why are you using the optical AND the eARC? You should use one or the other and configure the audio out in the TV to use it.

Does the Marantz support eARC? If it doesn't it shouldn't matter other than you don't get the HD audio like Atmos from the TV apps.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Actually I get DD+ atmos from the Sony internal apps fine with plain Arc (eARC disabled) on my Sony TVs. eARC is only needed for lossless advanced audio formats like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master from bluray discs, if the bluray player was connected to the TV instead of directly to an AVR.

Streaming services use the lossy DD+ atmos that is low enough bitrate to work with plain Arc, they don't offer the higher bitrate HD audio formats. Since I don't have any HDMI devices plugged directly into the TV that can do lossless advanced audio formats, I just turned eARC off on the Sony TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All! As a former Highdef forums member so glad to find this forum.

I am a bit confused as to whether eARC will function as intended on my set up. My family room system uses a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH ( HDMI 1.3a) as the A/V receiver. Looking to replace my Pioneer Pro-141FD 60" display with a SONY A90J 65". Using an XBOX ONE X which I believe is HDMI 2.1. Current set up is Cable box to XBOX, XBOX to Receiver and Receiver to display. Also have Pioneer Elite Blu Ray BDP-09FD to receiver, thinking that I will also go to display as well and then back to receiver? Rather than replacing the receiver I am trying to determine whether the eARC out on the display will give a true passthrough back to the receiver for audio. I am in a weird situation currently as I am letting the ONE X do the processing as there is audio lag so my RECEIVER displays PCM (This may be beside the point). Looked all over the place for an answer and even the high end shop in town can not give an answer. So simply, can I use the Xbox out into the display and eARC to the receiver for true passthrough audio? This would make life much easier as I really don't want to drop another $2K on a new receiver for a family room setup. Wow, this turned out to be much longer than expected. If anyone has the patience to read this I would greatly appreciate and look forward to contributing to the forum in the future, thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts