AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First post after much researching on this great site.

I'm preparing to finish my basement which will include a theater room that's 19 x 16 and have a few things I need to decide that will dictate direction.

1) I see a lot of false screen walls and stages. I get the point that the wall is to basically hide the speakers. I like the look, but struggle with giving up a couple of feet. Pro and Con opinions from those in the know?

2) Stage? Is it purely asthetic or serve some other purpose I haven't stumbled on in posts?

3) I watch a lot of sports and had originally planned to put a couple of flat screens in the top corners of the same wall as the screen to watch multiple games at once. But after seeing many comments about lighting and reflections, I'm now debating if the glass screens on the same wall could be distracting picking up light and reflections from the projector. Any thoughts on this? Anyone done it and not liking the results?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts
1) check out BritinVA's build thread for a false wall that doesn't give up a couple of feet. You can also do inwall speakers if you want an AT screen.

2) elevates speakers, when filled with sand it isolates the sub-woofers from the rest of the house, gives a visual deterrent to anyone wanting to walk up and touch your screen and it just looks good. If you have kids it provides a place for performances.

3) If it proves to be a problem you could make masking panels to pop over the flat screen when you want a projector only event. Design a false wall with small recess for the screens leaving 3/4 if an inch lip around the screen. Then just make some tight fitting 3/4 inch thick masking panels you can pop in.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
As an alternative to flat panels, you can purchase, from any number of sources, HDMI devices that will allow input from upwards of four (or more) sources and then outputs them as a single image with the screen divided into two halfs or four quadrants.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/20883793

As an alternative to flat panels, you can purchase, from any number of sources, HDMI devices that will allow input from upwards of four (or more) sources and then outputs them as a single image with the screen divided into two halfs or four quadrants.

Dennis,

What device do you use for this? I have seen them in the past, but the cost has always seemed prohibitive.

Britton

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW /forum/post/20882352

1) I see a lot of false screen walls and stages. I get the point that the wall is to basically hide the speakers. I like the look, but struggle with giving up a couple of feet. Pro and Con opinions from those in the know?

False wall is not about hiding speakers. The AT screen does that. It's about sound quality -- if done right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.