AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like planet earth, this BD is great. the volcano stuff is just something that you have to see for yourself.

it runs about four hours and has HD DTS

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for this review. My copy is shipping right now. This is interesting, though, because most other reviews I have seen rate the PQ below Planet Earth.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reviews are wrong lol

i think people read reviews and say well crap, that must be true lol

even reviews are subject to opinion

everything but the sound is nothing but opinion

if the sound sucks the sound probably sucks and that's fact

but these discs are fantastic visuals and sound

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/14351083

Thanks for this review. My copy is shipping right now. This is interesting, though, because most other reviews I have seen rate the PQ below Planet Earth.

I'm often curious about the variance in reviews when it comes to the PQ ratings. Shouldn't reviewers also be publishing the display they are using to do the review? There's so much variability in display capabilites. They are not all the same.

It's the same movie, same blu-ray content, but the variable is in the output devices - blu-ray players and the HD displays. I end up reading several reviews and use the PQ rating as a general guide, then see for myself.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboChief /forum/post/14353829

I thought that the host was TERRIBLE.

Sat through 2 of the 5 episodes, and deleted that last 3, unseen.

I've seen only two of the episodes as well. But I still have the other 3 on my DVR. After watching the episode on volcanos, I thought I would buy the BD set. But the second episode on the Oceans started with the 'global warming' crap. And I've heard that it just gets worse in this regard with the other eps. So now I have no interest in buying the set. I probably will watch the other episodes off of my DVR though.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14354083

I agree Rutgar pseudoscience propaganda = no buy

I wouldn't mind it if they would simply balance the conjecture with an opposing point of view. But they don't.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I could say "No comment" to the above posts

To each his own. To let "politics" stand in the way of enjoying a hi-def documentary
I guess that means you wouldn't watch "Galapagos" because they *may* talk about --evolution--(horrors) and not give = time to the real pseudo-faux-science of creationism.

I prefer to let science, history & documentaries speak for themselves & not get wrapped around an axle on "politics". And in glorious HD Earth-Biography, it's a must-buy for me. Especially for the reasons you 2 are not buying it.

No wonder the Pioneer rep didn't want you to touch his BD player, Ruined

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/14354193

I prefer to let science, history & documentaries speak for themselves & not get wrapped around an axle on "politics".

I agree. Which is why I believe they should have either left the politics out of the series, or at least provide an opposing view. I watch tons of science based documentaries. And most of them provide differing points of views on contentious points. But for some reason, when it comes to 'global warming', too many of these docs present a narrow-minded, doomsday, one-sided, point of view. My favorite documentaries are one's about the Solar System, and beyond. Of course that could simply be because that far out, I don't get lambasted with ideas about how 'Man' is at fault for every cosmic collision and super nova that occurs in the far reaches of outer space.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/14354193

I could say "No comment" to the above posts

To each his own. To let "politics" stand in the way of enjoying a hi-def documentary
I guess that means you wouldn't watch "Galapagos" because they *may* talk about --evolution--(horrors) and not give = time to the real pseudo-faux-science of creationism.

I prefer to let science, history & documentaries speak for themselves & not get wrapped around an axle on "politics". And in glorious HD Earth-Biography, it's a must-buy for me. Especially for the reasons you 2 are not buying it.

No wonder the Pioneer rep didn't want you to touch his BD player, Ruined

Funny, I enjoyed Galapagos on a whole new level when it started talking about evolution.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP /forum/post/14354712

Funny, I enjoyed Galapagos on a whole new level when it started talking about evolution.

I was being facetious, of course about evol vs creat.
I have Galapagos too.

BTW - my education, background, interests all relate to science & engr. in some way, so yes, I'm one of the heathens that completely accepts evolution and the Big Bang

But unlike certain politicians & preachers, I make it a point not to mix religion with either science OR politics

Hey, recently I watched 2 back-to-back shows on Nat Geo, Disc or History, about the birth story & death story of Jesus, so I don't let my scientific views influence what I watch or not watch.
I certainly didn't turn the TV off or refuse to watch it because opposing views weren't aired in these documentaries.

Open mindedness is becoming increasingly rare in some circles in the US, I guess. Fortunately we still have a 2 party system. Fair & balanced

Now back to discussing HD discs, I hope. If the cinematography in Earth Biography is anything close to Planet Earth, it would be a nice complimentary buy.

I'm glad the OP posted about this title, since I was waiting for a review b4 buying.

ss9001

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm actually pretty excited for some of you to come back and tell me what you think

i finished up with the disc today after having a bit more free time and all that i can say is wow

it was not only shocked and amazed of the picture quality of this disc but you always seem to learn a bit in the process

i learned that air/wind itself is responsible for shaping mountains(and when you see this part of the film you will flip just as i did)

they do some brief stuff with lightning and clouds which are also very excellent

i popped in my galapagos disc today and JUST realized that it's only 2ch dolby lol

the sound on earth-the biography is better than galapagos and planet earth

easily

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/14354134

I wouldn't mind it if they would simply balance the conjecture with an opposing point of view. But they don't.

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating. They keep talking about the earth millions or billions of years ago and I didn't once hear them give the opposing view of many that the earth is only 10,000 years old.

I did watch the first episode and right away I thought people were right about the host's voice being a little bit annoying, but I mostly got used to it after a while. There is some SD stuff, but there were also some great looking shots. I noticed some blocking in the water at a couple of places in the rafting part while I was watching. I backed it up to take a closer look and see what kind of bitrate the PS3 meter reported. For the first one it was around 25Mbps, but it was really blocky even at that. I wonder if that was in the source or happened during compression for the disc. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed it though.

I still haven't watched most of Planet Earth, so I'm going to send this rental back and if I watch more episodes of one of these in the near future it will probably be from Planet Earth, although I may rent Fearless Planet again and watch some more of it. I realize Fearless Planet got some bad reviews for content and they do overdramatize things a bit, but I loved the episode about Hawaii (the 2nd one of the first disc). Some of the CGI there was great IMO. There was some nice CGI in this first Earth episode too.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/14351083

The PQ as it was broadcast on NGCHD wasn't so great. Except for the CGI, it couldn't even max out 720p and there was a significant amount of SD stock footage.

Content and narration were poor, too.

This is by no means equal to the quality of Planet Earth, and there have been other similar HD documentaries with better PQ and content.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/14356406

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating. They keep talking about the earth millions or billions of years ago and I didn't once hear them give the opposing view of many that the earth is only 10,000 years old.

Because that hasn't been an opposing point of view since the discovery of carbon dating and radioactivity.

There are plenty of respected scientist today that take a different view on the global warming front to warrant some skepticism.

All I'm saying is that dispite what some people would like you to think... the debate about Global Warming is NOT over. And it would be nice when I sit down to watch a 'SCIENCE' show such as "Earth-The Biography", that it sticks to the facts and not be in the tank for Gloom and Doom.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/14356406

--Darin

LOL!

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/14357010

Because that hasn't been an opposing point of view since the discovery of carbon dating and radioactivity.

I think you may be surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14356579

The PQ as it was broadcast on NGCHD wasn't so great. Except for the CGI, it couldn't even max out 720p and there was a significant amount of SD stock footage.

I think this is part of the problem. I lot of people rated the PQ based on the NATGEO broadcast and this isnt the best prediction of what the Blu-ray will look like considering that they broadcast in 720p and not to mention any compression. In any event, I already bought it so I'll be doing a comparison of this Blu-ray vs. Planet Earth.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts