AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt see a thread started on this mini series which started last night. Recorded both episodes but havent watched yet today. Anybody watch last nights episodes "volcanoes" and "ice"? Curious to know opinions and how it compares to the planet earth series.

Mike

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I watched it, it was good but wasn't blown away by it. I had very high hopes for it since Nat Geo did a fantastic job on the Gulopagous (spelling) the day before. Ironically the program that followed it, The Rockies, was fantastic. (I'm speaking in the HD PQ content for all shows mentioned).

Again the Earth the Biography was good but definitly not Planet Earth.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/14285057

I watched it, it was good but wasn't blown away by it. I had very high hopes for it since Nat Geo did a fantastic job on the Gulopagous (spelling) the day before. Ironically the program that followed it, The Rockies, was fantastic. (I'm speaking in the HD PQ content for all shows mentioned).

Again the Earth the Biography was good but definitly not Planet Earth.

Watched the episodes and i agree that the pq was good not great.

Mike

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yeah I don't get it. Like I said earlier when watching their Galapagos Islands special it was AMAZING, so with the way they are hyping this I thought this was going to be their rival to Planet Earth. Oh well, looks like I'm cancelling it on my DVR

·
Registered
229 Posts
The PQ was quite dull. Didn't know ngeo was 720p. The only planet earth esque section was probably when the glaciers were moving in fast motion.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I noticed quite a bit of what appeared to upconverted material. I'm curious to know what the specs are on the production of this show.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This show was rather weak when speaking in terms of HD picture quality and I didn't watch but a few minutes of it so far.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Not only that, but the narrator may have been the most annoying narrator I've ever heard. That, the poor PQ and quite frankly content - only so much molten lava one man can take - didn't make it worth watching.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
hd pq on e* really sucked. massive macros and image breakup. one of the worst quality nat geo shows i've watched. don't know if it was the lousy signal being sent out by nat geo or just a crummy hd production. barely watchable.\\

and that narrator....

·
Registered
384 Posts
I recorded all the episodes and watched the first two this morning during my workout. The episodes, volcanoes and ice, were okay covering opinions on how the earth was formed and the importance of volcanoes and faults. The narrator had a very strong ascent that was very annoying.

Certainly not up to NG standards and if you missed it you didn't miss much.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 /forum/post/14297306

I noticed quite a bit of what appeared to upconverted material. I'm curious to know what the specs are on the production of this show.

The BBC used quite a bit of stock footage from old BBC documentaries (I recognized the scenes), and often those were recorded on video or 16mm film that doesn't have a ton of detail.

The PQ on the CGI was very good.

The content of the show was mediocre though, and Iain Stewart's narration is annoying, and I don't just mean his Scottish accent.

Overall definitely below the BBC's usual standards.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/14313020

Certainly not up to NG standards and if you missed it you didn't miss much.

That's saying a lot considering how low NG standards have sunk in recent years.

But this is a BBC documentary, and they really could have done a lot better.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14314340

That's saying a lot considering how low NG standards have sunk in recent years.

But this is a BBC documentary, and they really could have done a lot better.

agreed

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I thought the CGI sequences were very interesting. During the Atmosphere episode, they showed the air mass as a ball next to the Earth. Then during the Ocean episode they did the same thing with the water. Very cool visually. The planet collison sequence was also well done. The last episode, Rare Planet was very interesting in theoretical content. The last statement was very true in my opinion and a great way to end the series.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I definitely agree with others that the HD presentation of the Galapagos series was much more visually stunning and sharper. All in all, still an interest series and worth a view. BTW, how many times did they need to bring up Stramatalites?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
They should have dubbed over the narrator with someone who speaks understandable English!

I saw Ice last night and will pickup the BluRay set Tuesday & catch the others I missed.

Hopefully it has subtitles.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I've seen parts of 2 episodes, and I enjoyed them. I thought the imagery looked pretty cool. I didn't really have any problem understanding the brogue.

However, as with many of these pop science shows, they get some details wrong. In yesterday's episode about the big asteroid strike, they repeated two erroneous facts, which are often stated wrong:

1) The fallout from the asteroid "killed off" the dinosaurs - What actually occurred is that the climate change made it difficult for the big dinosaurs to thrive, and they eventually died off. The smaller species survived and evolved into today's birds.

2) The fallout allowed the "new" mammals to thrive - Mammals had been around for many millions of years, before even the age of the dinosaurs. The truth is that the climate change allowed mammals to thrive and become dominant over dinosaurs.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts