AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on the purchase of a 5 channel amp. I was looking at the B&K Reference 200.5 or the Earthquake Cinenoval Grand. I have listened to the B&K Reference 7250 in my own system, so I have a good idea of the B&K sound.

Listening to the Earthquake Cinenova Grand is more difficult. There are absolutely no dealers in my area. I will be in California in a couple of weeks and could listen to and purchase one from a dealer there. I won't be able to listen to it in my own system. i also won't have alot of time.

Does anyone have opinions on the Cinenova Grand (other than it is huge and heavy)? I was also interested in whether it had a remote trigger on. On the Earthquake website, they show a pin on the parallel port input as being a remote trigger (I guess I could build a cable w/ a 1/8 minijack to a pin on a parallel port connector). I also called Earthquake. They said the 5-channel version has a 1/8 inch minijack remote trigger. However, I can't see one on the back of the unit from pictures (although I haven't seen any good closeup pictures of the rear of this amp). Earthquake doesn't have a PDF of the user's manual on their website (their website isn't very good).

I have also looked at the Anthem MCA50. I have mostly decided on either a B&K or the Earthquake, but really want to know whether people who have listened to both believe the Earthquake is clearly better.

I listen to about 50/50 music and home theater, but I actually care more about the music. I also don't want to buy a used unit (may not make sense, but I like to be the original owner). I want to keep the price to about $2500.

My current system is:

Denon 4800 - Soon to be replaced w/ either Anthem AVM20 or B&K Ref50

B&K Reference 2220 - Will power fronts if I get B&K 5-channel. Will power

back speakers if I get Earthquake (assuming better) some day when I go to 7 channels.

Paradigm Ref60 Fronts. Paradigm Ref40 Rears. Paradigm RefCC Center, M&K M125MkII Subwoofer

Any information on the Earthquake or B&K amp would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your looking at all good choices.

Earthquake has quite a bit more power than any of the B&K amps.

Where is "your area"? Maybe one of us knows better as to a local dealer.

Many earthquake dealers are custom installers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey there, I don't post here all that often, but I wanted to let you know that I currently own 3 of the three channel cinenovas, and have had the 7270 in my system for awhile (about one month)

I kept the cinenovas. Why? I could not really tell the difference between the two (is that heresy? I just couldn't tell), but the 3 cinenovas (9 channels) ended up costing me ~3500 brand new (for all three) from a local authorised dealer. I would have gotten a similar deal for the B&K, as my local dealer is the one that I bought my denon 5800/denon 9000 from, and I have a good relationship with them.

I love these amps. I am currently driving Monitor Audio silver 5i (comparable to your paradigms) and the other reason for picking these is that the next speakers I buy are power whores (vmps) and you can never have too much power with them.

The downside is that they are big and heavy, and there are no balanced ins, but they do not get very hot (lots of heatsink inside)

My brother in law also bought these (two of them) and he loves them as well. One of our other considerations is that if they ever do need service -- and with a 10 year warranty, it should be covered, the company is local to us, and we would not have to worry about shipping these huge crates anywhere.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Blake

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've been on a cruise for the last week and didn't have a chance to reply sooner. Unfortunately, I didn't see any Earthquake dealers in Cancun.

My local area is Houston, Tx. Earthquake said there weren't any dealers here. I don't know about any customer installers.

AblakeG: 3 Cinenova Grands? Now that has to be impressive looking. You better have a well built cabinet for that much weight.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a three channel Cinenova driving two VMPS RM 40's and one center channel LRs. I have a B&K AV125.7 coming for the surrounds along with a B&K Ref 50. I am replacing my Denon AV4800. Amp sound has pretty well been shown by blind tests to be indistinguishable, and the features and power needs are the determining factors. Do you need 300w/ch?

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies or 12v triggers, but my Cinenova has a 12v trigger. I live in the Conroe area, and if you want to see/hear one, e-mail me.

The list on the 5 channel is quoted as $3500, but I see them often on the net at ~$1500.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi Kevin,

As an Earthquake dealer you have to take my comments "for what their worth", but I have heard the CineNovas, in direct comparisons to some pretty impressive amps (Krells, Theta, Bryston, AmpZilla, Lexicon) on RM40 speakers.

The only amp in that group that sounded better (marginally) was the AMPZilla 2000.

I woulds also caution you about purchasing any Earthquake Products on the web. If they are posted with a price on the web, the warrantee will not be honored by Earthquake. (it is a violation of the dealer agreement)

Obviously, used is OK, but even then the warrantee is not transferable without permission from Earthquake.

But in any event, I would say that you can't do too much better as far as quality/performance/value,

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.