AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at three possible replacements for a shattered Samsung plasma. I've held off purchasing an LED because, when I've been looking, I haven't seen an LED that could really reproduce color as well as some decent plasmas at my price point. My price point has increased a little, and we'll want this tv to last us a long time (the only reason why we're purchasing anything is the old one died), so I'm ok with paying for performance, but I don't really want to totally splurge. And, we aren't going to buy anything over about 65" - I have a very nice projector and screen that's perfect for anything larger than that (and they won't be upgraded until there's a 4k projector that costs $2k or less).

So, with that preamble, here are the three possibles, and my initial take on each. I'd love input on why you'd chose one over another, particularly as to features and picture quality, but also for other intangibles or anything else you think is worth mentioning. I probably won't be able to purchase anything outside these three options (and I looked at quite a few).

1 - Sharp LC60EQ10U 60" Aquos Quattron LED 1080P, 240Hz, Smart WiFi Web, $1300.

This is one of the first LEDs that I've seen that looks very nice, particularly with good source. Did not see grey smearing in actions scenes, no processing artifacts, but the red reproduction was a bit cartoony, or substandard. Probably could be tweaked away. Is probably fairly light. Not sure if Sharp is decent for longevity, but my guess is yes. It was too loud to evaluate audio or presence of electrical hum. Seems to have the smart tv bells and whistles, but unsure.

2 - Samsung PN64H5000 64" 1080P Plasma 600Hz, $1400.

Solid plasma tv and large. Smart tv features weren't advertised, but it's a 2014 model? Image was very nice, but not much better than the Sharp (same source for both, so apples to apples). Is probably fairly heavy, and also couldn't hear anything.

3 - Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4k Ultra HD, 120Hz.

Well, it's a cheap 4k TV. The demo video looked amazing, reds looked perfect, but I didn't see the same source as in the first two. No smart tv features advertised, but obviously a recent model tv. Smaller than the other two, but not by much. I know that many pixels probably isn't worth it for that small of a tv, but the image quality was quite good regardless, and I still think there are real collateral benefits beyond just what the physiologists say a human eye can resolve when sitting x feet away, etc., etc. Future proof, to an extent. Probably no 4k source for at least 4 years, unless you count a compy and gopro video and/or still images. I have no idea if the 120Hz will be a detriment, or if the demo video is hiding other processing artifacts (though, the source was provided by Sony and LG, not Samsung).

I'm leaning towards #2, thinking about #3 but having a hard time justifying it, and considering 1 for the smart features (if they outstrip the features of the others).

Thanks for any help with the decision. Any insights are welcome, particularly negatives about the 4k Samsung.

-jig

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I'd say totally ignore any and all "Smart" features. They can easily be vastly surpassed with a $50-$100 investment in a real network streamer. Focus on the display - that is what matters.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
How bright is the room it's going into. I've seen the big Sharps in a home setting, they do well with room lighting and if you like to watch sports during the day are a good choice.

If you have a darker room go with the plasma especially if you are watching movies on it.

As to the 4k set try to see one running regular programming or a blu ray I've seen these running a 4k demo video and they look good. Since what you would be watching will be upconverted for a number of things it's important to see regular programming and not a demo reel.

Bright room set 1 or 3, darker room set 2. Above all have fun with the process, TV is supposed to be entertaining.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=26594773#p26594773]jig[/url ] 

well, i looked at the tvs in a lighter store, and liked the sharp lcd better this time... and i noticed that the above samsung plasma has the weird panel with less than full resolution for all subpixels... which actually looks pretty blurry in detail shots (live action, hobbit movies look fine, but cartoons and menus look horrible).

on top of that, i found out the sharp above is last years model(edit, no, this is wrong, the above is this years, but the LG60LE757U is last years, which is what i looked today - clearly i'm not being systematic about this), and it looks like the only ones left in the area are open box and demo versions, and i just prefer not purchasing those for something i'm going to use every day for years and years. and, the 4k samsung appears to be sold out.

i've reviewed the 4k issues - no source, developing standard, some with insufficient hdmi inputs... so, basically, i'd be purchasing a very nice 55" LCD tv if i went that route - not a horrible way forward, but maybe not ideal.

short version - i'm back to trying to figure out what to get. i still like the sharp Q series, but supposedly there's some repair issues that consumer reports is pissy about.

sigh.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig  /t/1525620/earthquake-killed-the-old-plasma-replacing-want-opinions-on-3-possibles#post_24574330
I you dig thru enough forums you will find all TV's have their issues, so I wouldn't rule out the Sharps if you like the picture.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so... i went with a samsung LCD - the 55" UN55F6350, which I found at Sam's Club for $1k. Cheaper, and picture looks nice. I haven't searched online for reviews just yet, but I will soon. My only real complaint is that the built-in speakers are worse than the ones in our prior samsung plasma, and might even be painful to listen to. I'm still futzing with the eq.

Any personal experience with the above?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig  /t/1525620/earthquake-killed-the-old-plasma-replacing-want-opinions-on-3-possibles#post_24588905

so... i went with a samsung LCD - the 55" UN55F6350, which I found at Sam's Club for $1k. Cheaper, and picture looks nice. I haven't searched online for reviews just yet, but I will soon. My only real complaint is that the built-in speakers are worse than the ones in our prior samsung plasma, and might even be painful to listen to. I'm still futzing with the eq.

Any personal experience with the above?
Good choice in a TV. You might want to think about a sound bar to go with the it. Vizio makes a not too expensive one, and there are a lot more from other brands. If you like the picture then avoid reviews. Watch and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts