AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an expert; just a long time lurker, technology enthusiast and interested HD observer. There are many threads here by people wondering where technology is going, what is the best, what technology will fade, what will become the standard, etc. Most of these questions are by people trying to decide what/when to buy into HD. I'll posit a theory here that the decision is simpler than you may think - it all depends on your financial means.

Obviously, HD displays are on the steepest part of the technology lifecycle curve. Everything about them is volatile; the source resolution/quality, display technology, component interconnects, product quality/maturity, price, etc. Volatility isn't bad; it just has an impact.

All things being equal, if you can afford to drop $5K every 2-3 years on this stuff a lot of the issues don't matter. You can just make up for obsolete technology purchases by buying again. There are a number of people in these forums who have 2-3 HD displays or bought a plasma 1-2 years ago, moved it to their bedroom and now are in the market for a 60" DLP. If you're in this camp nobody needs to tell you "buy now".

The rest of us obsess over every minute detail and product future because we are going to get 1 stab at this thing for 5+ years. For those in this camp, I'd say wait. As hard as it is, that wait will be at least a year and probably a couple of years. Let the others finance this market until it settles down a bit. That's the way it is with most technology. It's unfortunate because there are truly some great displays and source material that can be enjoyed today. But the fact remains, you pay a super premium for it. While the discussion and information are invaluable in this forum if you are basing a purchase decision on whether your next set has a 6 or 7 segment color wheel, you probably should cool it.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
1080p is just around the corner, but lower cost great 1080p may be a few years away. My advice to most people is wait a few years. If you must buy now the best bang for the buck would be a calibrated integrated RPTV CRT or a Panasonic EDTV with 4000:1 contrast ratio--these sets can keep you satisfied until 1080p comes down a little in price 5 years from now--I know that seems like a long time, but prices aren't dropping as fast as many at the forum would have you believe. Why? Because even the dumbos who shop at Wal-mart know that TV is changing and enormous demand is keeping the price drops at a slow level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.