AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a Grafik Eye, but I'll need to control it via an emitter from my IR distribution system.

Does the emitter have to stick on the face of the GE, or is there someway to mount it inside the flip up cover. I'm not a big fan of having emitters on the surface of a switch.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Steve,

I have my IR Flasher / Blaster mounted 15' away controlling the GE from across the room. The IR emittor is in a dark corner out of sight yet from that distance has worked flawlessly.

I remember a post where someone removed the emittor shell and mounted the raw emittor inside a GE.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim-

I thought about that, but if I do that, The blaster would be on the the other side of the main entrance to my theater. I wouldn't want the chance that someone could be walking in front of the blaster as I'm trying to send a signal via my remote.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Steve - I also remember a while back a discussion about how to "hardwire" an IR emmitor to the inside of a Graphic Eye. Reed.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I read a post where Dennis Erskine posted how to do this. He said to cut the cover off the IR emittor that you want to use on the GE. Take the face plate off your GE and put the emittor over the IR receiver of the GE. Now replace the GE cover and all you might be able to see is the wires going from the underside of the GE cover into the wall. But the cover hags over the edge a little so you won't see the wires if you do it right. There should be enough room between the cover and the GE to fit the IR emittor. I have my GE installed and wired for an IR emittor but haven't put one in yet since I don't have sheetrock up yet.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tox-

Thanks! I had done a search but didn't find it. Time to go buy a Grafik Eye!:D

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Steve, keep searching and you may find the post that had pics of the completed job. I wanna say the AVS'er was "Mercury" that did it and posted results, but he may have copied what somebody else posted or something like that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My IR wire is "underneath" our cover. We drilled a hole and brought the wires through the firring strips. It has a little emitter. Can still use "straight-on" with the cover in place but there is no evidence of the wires when looking at it. I'll post some pictures shortly.

Adam

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adam-

Thanks! The picture is fine, it gives me an idea that this can easily be done.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Adam, thanks for sharing the picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.