AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am not completely computer retarded but feel so when I read the instructions on this forum on how to rip blurays to hard drive and then play them.

Jifforange has done an ecellent job with his walkthough, but it is just waaay to involed for my little mind.

Has this process been simplified yet?

·
Registered
443 Posts
When I read what some of the guys around here do to rip and play a BR, I wonder if it's even worth it. I guess it is if you store your movies on a server. But I don't rip that often myself. And when I do it's normally just on a short term basis. But I did want to learn how to do it.

I just use MakeMKV for the time being. It normally does what I needed it to do.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
1. Rip to iso using AnyDVD HD.

2. Mount iso in VirtualCloneDrive.

3. Play mounted iso using TMT, PowerDVD, Nero Showtime 4 w/HD plug-in, or possibly several other apps.

Note that you'll need AnyDVD HD running in the background if you rip to iso with encryption intact. This is useful if you have a new BD release that Slysoft hasn't cracked yet. They usually have a workaround or fix incorporated into AnyDVD HD in short order but there are new anti-piracy schemes being introduced all the time and they don't always have the fix as soon as the new scheme is included with new BD releases. Ripping with encryption intact allows you to rip the BD movie right away and then play it back as soon as Slysoft has the fix ready. I've rarely had to wait more than a week or two before I could play a ripped movie. The new schemes tend to be limited to just a few studios (Fix, in particular, but there are a few others) so it doesn't affect all new releases.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
JiffOrange procedure seems long and complicated but it is really simple in the end and can be resume to the following simple stage:

1- Rip the subs, video and audio with eac3to

2- If need be, recompress/resize the video (I use RipBot264 for this). No need to process the audio since it was saved in flac at stage 1.

3- Remux all of this in a MKV container (takes about 5 minutes with MKVmerge).

The longest stage is the first due to the audio conversion for the most part and the data extraction from the optical disc.

It's almost a fire and forget job once you've done it a few time.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you're just looking to extract the video and audio tracks of your choice then MakeMKV is probably the simplest solution. If you want to compress it down a bit (and don't mind being limited to 5.1 audio) then Handbrake will take care of business for you.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16942470

JiffOrange procedure seems long and complicated but it is really simple in the end and can be resume to the following simple stage:

I agree with this. I find JiffOrange's way very easy, especially if you aren't worrying about re-encoding/compressing the video. 1) extract what you want with eac3to. 2) remux to mkv.

·
Registered
703 Posts
So it's not like you can pop it in and let windows media player rip it for you into a format that plays just like BR with all the blu-ray bells and whistles (pretty much a bit for bit copy residing on a hard disk)? Not yet anyway?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter /forum/post/16942677

So it's not like you can pop it in and let windows media player rip it for you into a format that plays just like BR with all the blu-ray bells and whistles (pretty much a bit for bit copy residing on a hard disk)? Not yet anyway?

You never will with Windows Media Player.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter /forum/post/16942677

You can't do that with DVD either, at least not with media player.

But you can with AnyDVD HD

Or if you don't want to waste HDD space with JiffOrange procedure.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not relly worried about saving hard drive space right now. I just want to get my rips going. So I need ANyDVD HD. Check.

Here are some follow up questions:

1. If I get my rips to work. Let's say I decide to replace my powerdvd 7.3 with TMT3. Which will then integrate into Vista Media Center. Any reason why I can't use the ten foot interface to play these rips?

2. How much space can I expect a BD to take up? How much space will Jiff's procedure save?

There were others but I think I have reached my mental capacity for today.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To use with VMC you would need MyMovies a free plug-in for VMC.

If you have ver. 7..3119a of PDVD you can play from folders with that but TMT and MyMovies intergrate into VMC without problems.

This combo works fine for me.

Anywhere from 25 to 45GB, depends on the disk. Never tried Jeff's way so can't help there.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16943252

To use with VMC you would need MyMovies a free plug-in for VMC.

If you have ver. 7..3119a of PDVD you can play from folders with that but TMT and MyMovies intergrate into VMC without problems.

This combo works fine for me.

Anywhere from 25 to 45GB, depends on the disk. Never tried Jeff's way so can't help there.

Since I crop first then reencode at 1280x720 (pj native resolution) with a bitrate of 9500 I can crunch a movie to 9.5 - 10gig with lossless flac audio. The quality is great. At least on the same quality than my sat HD channel or better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much additional time per disc is the cropping and resolution correction take?

that is a very interesting solution since everything in my house is 720p as well. The only thing I worry about is having a 720p library if/when I ever upgrade to 1080p.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I downloaded mymovies and it is great. So it looks like if I don't care about space I can just rip with anydvdhd. I am now waiting on funds for 1.5 tb hard drive to put my movies some where.

Here are two questions:

I have a PS3 and a Lnksys DMA 2200 media extender in my bedroom. What file types should I be saving my movies as (.ts, .mkv)? So that one or both of these two things will play the files?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/16944299

How much additional time per disc is the cropping and resolution correction take?

that is a very interesting solution since everything in my house is 720p as well. The only thing I worry about is having a 720p library if/when I ever upgrade to 1080p.

It takes about 2 to 3 hours to process on my quad 6600. I do batch processing during the week and let it run when I sleep or when I'm at work.

I live in the now, not in the future. I don't feel the need to have the optimal collection for my display. I still buy 720x480 DVD even if my setup can do more. When I upgrade to 1080p then I'll start collectiong 1080p material. I won't double dip unless it is a HUGE step in quality to my eye then.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphyne /forum/post/16964728

Ok, so I downloaded mymovies and it is great. So it looks like if I don't care about space I can just rip with anydvdhd. I am now waiting on funds for 1.5 tb hard drive to put my movies some where.

Here are two questions:

I have a PS3 and a Lnksys DMA 2200 media extender in my bedroom. What file types should I be saving my movies as (.ts, .mkv)? So that one or both of these two things will play the files?

The PS3 won't play MKV natively. And if you are hooked via wifi you may have some problem streaming to it since HD can stress a wifi connection.

·
Registered
332 Posts
DVDfab is a free alternative to anydvd. it is trailware with unlimited trail period. you can rip full disc or main movie, just can't resize it w/out buying the software. also can't do BD+ yet.

it will rip it into .m2ts files (same type of thing as vob file for dvds). then just point your bd software to the folder and away you go.

EDIT: biggest difference between anydvd hd and dvdfab is the former can remove hdcp requirement on the fly (you can pop in a bd and watch it from the disc on non-hdcp hardware)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts