AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help with Easy paint mix for bright projector in dark room?

Hey guys,

looking for suggestions on a easy paint mix for a bright projector in a light controlled environment. I will be going with the Epson 3500 which at 2500 lumens can be very bright even on "Eco mode" which is why I wanted to go with a grey ALR screen. The projector will be mounted 12' away from a 100" screen. and seating position is approximately 11-12' feet away from screen.The ceilings are low (7'-4") with duct work running right above where the screen will be making the screen wall 6'-4" from floor to ceiling. The top of the screen will be 6" below the underside of the bulkhead that conceals the duct work and the bottom of the screen about 16-20" from floor. The room will mostly be used at night but occasionally during the day for some gaming. There is some ambient light during the day but I may add curtains to eliminate most of that. There will be no ambient light when watching Blurays at night other than two wall lights on either side of the screen on a very low dim setting just to help with eye strain. When watching sporting events, I plan to have my pot lights around the bar and in the rest of the room set to a dim setting. I live in Canada so some of the paints I've read about are not readily available in nearby stores. I would prefer to roll the paint on as I do not own a HLVP gun and would like to keep this project relatively inexpensive. Besides, I have never owned a projector so I think I will be quite impressed with any rolled on screen paint mixture. I was planning to do a simple mix of 1 part Rustoleum Metallic accents-Sterling Silver and 1 part Glidden/Delux interior matte UPW/White rolled onto a sheet of MDF/HDF. Would this specific paint mix work in my situation? if not, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I would first suggest going to a hardware store and asking to see a sample-card/swatch of "Granite Grey" or "OONN 37/000". This color should be available in many brands; CIL, ColorPlace, Dulux, Glidden etc.. It's a nice medium grey that will tame your Epson's brightness down to around 18-19ftL in its dimmest preset at dimmest Eco-lamp which is still a little brighter than typical but about 3X closer to average than you are right now.. And it leaves plenty of brightness room for 3D.
Whichever brand you get, make sure it's flat or matte finish. This will be extremely easy to roll because it'll look perfectly smooth and completely disappear behind your projected image once the paint is dry.
A quart of paint should be plenty..pour slightly less than half a quart into your roller-pan, cover the whole surface (don't worry too much if this first coat goes on thin and crappy) and let it dry for several hours while you rinse the pan and clean, then repeat using the rest after the first coat is good and dry.

The Rustoleum Metallic Accents SterlingSilver and flat/matte paint mix can work well too, but for that projector+size+situation you'll want to mix it as 4oz Rustoleum SterlingSilver and 16oz flat/matte-grey...and you'll want to use a darker grey like "Seal Grey" "OONN 25/000".

For a metallic mix the rolling style can make a big difference. Most importantly, start and stop every row over the edge of the screen instead of on the screen AND roll each row in the same direction.
For example, start with the roller slightly above the screen's top and roll a straight row all the way down just past the screen's bottom, then pick up the roller and place it just above the top again with one side slightly touching the row you just made and paint your next row (top to bottom) so one side overlaps the previous row by a couple cm. Put some more paint on the roller and start a new row slightly overlapping the previous one and roll top-to-bottom..repeat.

If you use the plain flat/matte Granite Grey and no metallic, it won't really matter how you roll it on..it will turn out great no matter what.

For flat/matte paint I really like the super inexpensive ColorPlace brand that is usually at Walmart, but you can usually find these colors I've mentioned in several places which makes it easier to go with your favorite brands if you have one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info Ftoast!

So your saying that the "granit grey" paint color alone should make for a good screen paint in my circumstance? how many coats would you recommend?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
You need to seal / prime the MDF/HDF before you Roll. Using a "Primer / Paint" is not enough, because rolling on paint contributes far more moisture than spraying does, and often it will be absorbed unevenly and set you up with having darker / lighter areas.

Consider also that Silver Metallic in any proportion at / above 25% will lend a definite increase in deeper, more saturated colors while helping to maintain a higher degree of "off the screen" contrast (White vs Black)

However 25% should be the highest level you aspire to if rolling, because rolling can both align the metallic flakes and create too much sheen, and also rolling metallic paint can lead to noticeable Roller Marks and / or show any surface defect as being more pronounced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to seal / prime the MDF/HDF before you Roll. Using a "Primer / Paint" is not enough, because rolling on paint contributes far more moisture than spraying does, and often it will be absorbed unevenly and set you up with having darker / lighter areas.

Consider also that Silver Metallic in any proportion at / above 25% will lend a definite increase in deeper, more saturated colors while helping to maintain a higher degree of "off the screen" contrast (White vs Black)

However 25% should be the highest level you aspire to if rolling, because rolling can both align the metallic flakes and create too much sheen, and also rolling metallic paint can lead to noticeable Roller Marks and / or show any surface defect as being more pronounced.
Thanks for your input MM, your opinion means a lot.

I had actually read your thread on Silver fire paint and was leaning towards going that route but since this will be my first projector set up, I figured I would just stick with the basics for now. I'm sure I will be very impressed with even a single color screen paint since I have never had a projector. I was thinking of adding a little metallic to the "granit grey" but like you said, that might pronounce any roller marks or surface defects so I think I will stick to the one color for now and see how that fairs out. And yes, I will be sure to prime the surface first;) Would something like "Killz"/ Bin "1-2-3" primer work? Or do you have any suggestions on a good primer? Thanks

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thanks for that info Ftoast!

So your saying that the "granit grey" paint color alone should make for a good screen paint in my circumstance? how many coats would you recommend?
Yes. "Granite Grey" flat or matte.

Two coats. Don't worry if the first coat goes on thin and kind of crappy. After it dries (around 4hours) it'll give the second coat something decent to hold onto and the second coat should look good and even once it's dry.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,976 Posts
Thanks for your input MM, your opinion means a lot.

I had actually read your thread on Silver fire paint and was leaning towards going that route but since this will be my first projector set up, I figured I would just stick with the basics for now. I'm sure I will be very impressed with even a single color screen paint since I have never had a projector. I was thinking of adding a little metallic to the "granit grey" but like you said, that might pronounce any roller marks or surface defects so I think I will stick to the one color for now and see how that fairs out. And yes, I will be sure to prime the surface first;) Would something like "Killz"/ Bin "1-2-3" primer work? Or do you have any suggestions on a good primer? Thanks

I would suggest Glidden Gripper Primer, especially if you go the HDF route...which would be best in any case because it will resist too much moisture penetration and has the smoothest surface as well.

Two normal coats...the last lightly sanded with a Fine Grit Sanding Sponge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i need contrast for epson 2040 for dark room
( already have jotun matrix but its to dark )
do i need little mix of white metallic ? or i need to put alot of metallic ?

i need short and specific answer xD
i dont understand english very well : )
thanks !

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
i need contrast for epson 2040 for dark room
( already have jotun matrix but its to dark )
do i need little mix of white metallic ? or i need to put alot of metallic ?

i need short and specific answer xD
i dont understand english very well : )
thanks !

If image is dim even in the front, add more metallic.
A light grey metallic, or silver metallic, or white/pearl metallic might be best because it can lighten the color AND add more metallic at the same time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If image is dim even in the front, add more metallic.
A light grey metallic, or silver metallic, or white/pearl metallic might be best because it can lighten the color AND add more metallic at the same time.
Thanks for quick answer
I've seen your topic , My question is supposed to be in your topic , Confused :D

Briefly more metallic is best for dark rooms right ?
i will put 80% metallic + 20% jotum matrix
is this good ?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thanks for quick answer
I've seen your topic , My question is supposed to be in your topic , Confused :D

Briefly more metallic is best for dark rooms right ?
i will put 80% metallic + 20% jotum matrix
is this good ?
Metallic will help a dark-colored screen show a brighter image. This is good if the room has some lights on, or if the room has light-colored walls/ceiling.

If the room is dark and its walls+ceiling are dark-colored, then plain light-grey or plain white screen without any metallic is usually best.

I think 80%metallic + 20%paint might be good.
I don't know what amounts will be best because different metallic brands are very different from each other and I probably haven't used the same metallic you're using.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Metallic will help a dark-colored screen show a brighter image. This is good if the room has some lights on, or if the room has light-colored walls/ceiling.

If the room is dark and its walls+ceiling are dark-colored, then plain light-grey or plain white screen without any metallic is usually best.

I think 80%metallic + 20%paint might be good.
I don't know what amounts will be best because different metallic brands are very different from each other and I probably haven't used the same metallic you're using.
Thanks for help and explanation
and sorry for the questions
last question to understand how its work 100%
the metallic benefit is Light Rejecting more metallic more Light Rejecting right ?
its best for dark room and sometimes a little bit of light is just a little of metallic
i am i right ?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thanks for help and explanation
and sorry for the questions
last question to understand how its work 100%
the metallic benefit is Light Rejecting more metallic more Light Rejecting right ?
its best for dark room and sometimes a little bit of light is just a little of metallic
i am i right ?
Yes, that's mostly right.

Metallic can also help brighten a dim image.

Sometimes just a little metallic won't do much at all..then you often need to practically double the amount used (or half the regular paint).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts