AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a projector on ebay that is a great home theater projector talked about greatly here.. The guy who is selling it is new to ebay, says the projector and brand new and sellin it no reserve for way below retail cost. With only about a day to go it is still very low. I emailed and asked about Escrow and he refuses saying friends have told him its a hassle. Does this sound suspicious? He says he can give referecences.. I think it could either be hot or he;s lying.. Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ask how payment should be made. If its wire transfer don't even bother replying...its a scam. Also try asking if you can get a friend, who lives nearby, to pick it up in person.

Be very careful.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have heard some legitimate reasons why a PITA buyer can make escrow a nightmare for the seller and so can sypathize but my radar would be well up...

Contact your credit card and discuss in 100% absolute terms (in writing) what protection you have... If your CC company is good (and I hear worse things from US than Europe) the _Consider_ PayPal but anything else (money wire / western union / anything) run away...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If the xris stands for Chris... I have found you :) !!! at that price alarm bells would be ringing... Ask location and offer an AVS member $$$ to go round and see the item as a kind of verified escrow service.. Worth a couple of hundred bucks No ??

Had to say this folks... Ebay Power seller 1400 soething responses and nice feedback... New looking G1000 for 2450 buy it now !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356741398

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have contacted him by email. He doesn't seem to know anything about the projector. DING...DING...DING...DING...DING!!! Alarm bells are ringing!

If you can't get your questions answered to your satisfaction then stay away.

--Jerome

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phat Phreddy what do you mean by "I have found You"? The guy wants payment in Money Order or Cashiers Checks. Im concernced about it and therefore probably will not bid. Thanks for the info.

Chris

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just that for obvious reasons you did not post the auction link (hey I spent spent a week haggling on and researching / thinking about an XP21N... I didn't shout its 2200 advert all over the place either !!!) and I am a curious soul...

So a little Ebay hunt and I believe I have found the item you _might_ be bidding on (therefore the chris hint / check)... Nothing bad... Now you say you wont bid I guess I am wrong... In which case look at this... Cashiers check / Money order... No feedback... HT300 for 3050 now !!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356567812

Money order / chasiers check = RUN

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, your good haha.. Yea I didnt say it on purpose.. I felt I found a gem here.. Didnt want everyone else bidding haha..

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, now it appears he has one positive feedback. If you check the chronology, even that should raise a few alarm bells.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Look at who has bid too..... if it was a good deal, why only two bidders? - both who are new eBay IDs. Not only that, but there is no reserve and still is no where near wholsale. A less obvipous clue that something isn't right is that the seller claims to be a well established business in Apopka Florida, but if that were the case, then he would surely be able to accept Credit Cards.

Just for fun, I sent him an email saying I was in Apopka and if I win I'd like to come by his business to make the exchange.... no response.

This seems way beyound suspicious - looks like out and out fraud.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I made the same request and got the following reply:

"Hello, I am not doing any pick ups due to security issues and so on such as

terrorist acts and i am taking extra precaution. I will ship the item after I

recieve payment from the highest bidder, and once they get the item they will

tell me if they are happy or not with the auction and if they are I will cash

payment."

This is almost as funny as Senegal beating France in the opening match of the World Cup.

Anyone using 'Mirage' in their user name is definitely telling us something.

·
Registered
916 Posts
"Hello, I am not doing any pick ups due to security issues and so on such as terrorist acts and i am taking extra precaution.
I am going to screw you out of your money, big time!

I will ship the item after I recieve payment from the highest bidder, and once they get the item they will tell me if they are happy or not with the auction and if they are I will cash payment."

I don't know guys, but I think you should really read between the lines on this one! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Positive feedback on eBay is sometimes not what it seems. I "won" a great HT set-up way below wholesale from someone with oodles of feedback. When I looked carefully, I saw that it was all as a buyer of 19th century prints. All of a sudden this person is selling 3 or 4 HT setups. Wanted wire transfer only. I balked. It turned out to be a case of stolen identity. One clue: the seller had eBay "shades" even though lots of feedback. Another buy lost $4k to the same seller at the same time. There but for the grace of God go I.

·
Registered
315 Posts
did you see the earlier bidder canceled his bid? At least someone got smart.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Carl,

On eBay, having shades refers to the little icon picture of sunglasses located next to your rating. You get to wear them if you meet two different scenarios:

1) If you're newly registered, you get to wear your shades for a period of 30 days. This gives everyone a "newbie" alert when looking at your eBay name.

2) If you've just changed your existing eBay name to something else, you get to wear your shades for 30 days. If you have considerable feedback, this lets people know that you used to conduct business under another eBay name.

I think what Tom is referring to is that someone who had a name (and a selling history) that put them in the "19th century prints" section, so to speak, then changed his name, got his shades, and started to sell HT setups. Obviously, either this person had a major hobby change (which CAN happen) or just stole another eBay user's name, and took total control of this unsuspecting user's eBay account. I've read about it happening before. eBay members with excellent, high feedback numbers are perfect targets for hackers. They hack the individual's password, make a quick buck or two, and get the heck out! This is why you must ask questions about EVERYTHING, be suspicious about EVERYTHING and, if you get a funny feeling that something's not right, IT PROBABLY ISN'T!

·
Registered
362 Posts
vdelauz,

you got it right.

A perfectly legit eBay-er got hacked. The hacker somehow got the password. It isn't clear to me what caused the "shades" to appear, but I think it is because the hacker also changes the profile of the victim. Maybe signing up as a seller for the first time did it.

The shades were one of about 6 mini-clues that caused me to back out of the too-good-to-be-true bid. The others were: wire transer required; seller's given address (probably false) was in the middle of the California desert, which seemed like an odd place fore someone with a lot of cool HT equipment; the sudden transformation from a buyer of prints to a seller of HT gear; the fact that the eBay ad was for a complete package also being sold by a legitimate e-tailer (for much more money) and the eBay ad was a complete copy (including errors) of the e-tailer's ad; and no photos of the actual equipment.

I really wanted to believe I had won a Sony 10HT, a six-speaker Atlantic Technology sound system and a Da-Lite screen for $2,000, and I tried in vain to arrange for a payment other than by wire transfer. The seller, who had been very responsive before the auction, clammed up. I advised eBay of a probably fraud. The seller got shut down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bottom line as always; if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Better to miss out on one super deal than lose your hard-earned cash irretrievably to a scammer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.