AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
On the ebay subject, has anyone noticed how many (0) bidders are bidding up the price on CRT projectors? I have noticed a trend that there are a bunch of (0)feedback bidders that have registered years ago, bidding up CRT auctions, but of course never winning them or hitting the reserve. Obviously any thinking person can see that you cannot be on ebay for 2 years or so and still have zero feedback. You gotta love the sellers that try to jack up their auctions like this.

We won't even go into the obvious fraud thing going on.

Marc

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Any of those bidders that want to bid up my auctions, go right ahead.....but be prepared for neg feedback if you don't come through.

Dennis, I don't know the seller but think this is a good auction. They have a reserve and are trying to attract buyers by starting low.

Terry

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
look at the signs

- Private auction -- bidders' identities protected

- Location Email me for payment info before bid !

- No seller feedback, as you know it does not cost much and is easy to build buyer feedback

This one is not for sure a scam, but would make me want to talk to the buyer, pick it up in person or use an escrow account

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I don't do it, but a lot of ebay sellers use private auction to keep other sellers from sniping their bidders. (E-mailing their bidders and offering the same item for a lessor price. If you not paying ebay fees, you can afford to sell the same item a little cheaper.)

"Location Email me for payment info before bid ! " is a little weird, although I suspected the buyer did this so he could tell those planning on paying with PayPal that 3% (or whatever) would be added to the total. They have to tell you that in private because it's against the law to up-charge for credit card payments. If you mention that in your auction, ebay will cancel it.

But I was interested in this projector, IF, I could pay for it and pick it up in person. So I e-mailed:

"Where do live live? If you're close enough to me I'm very interested in bidding."

The seller replied:

"I live in USA. Feel free to bid. Where are you located? You can also buy it now for just $2,899.00. I will pay the shipping and insurance with 2nd day delivery via UPS and you just pay money transfer fees thru Western Union or Money Gram if you decide to buy. E-mail me if you have any other questions. Where are you located ? Regards."

I e-mailed back:

"Is this some kind of scam? Sure, I'm going to send a guy $2,899 who won't tell me where he lives...NOT! I'm ONLY interested if I can pick it up and pay for it in person. I'm in Dallas, TX."

I have not heard back from him. This is almost certainly a scam. That he accepts payment via wire transfer only is almost proof in itself that this is a scam.

--

Thanks,

Phil Smith

Dallas, TX Dallas Music: http://www.dallas-music.com

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK guys, I emailed the seller and asked what his payment terms are as he requested before bidding and this is what his response was:

You can buy it now for just $2,899.00. I will pay the

shipping and insurance with 2nd day delivery via UPS

and you just pay money transfer fees thru Western

Union or Money Gram if you decide to buy. I only

accept money transfers. E-mail me if you have any

other questions. Where are you located ?

Regards.

One other thing I noticed is the photos in the auction were lifted from a ligitimate auction last week. I remember them and the description. I found it. it is a forum members auction from earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...018171466&rd=1

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
yup, sure looks like a low life type trolling for suckers..........

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I reported all the evidence compiled in this thread to ebay.

--

Thanks,

Phil Smith

Dallas, TX Dallas Music: http://www.dallas-music.com

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed again to answer his question to where I am and I told him Indianapolis and asked if I could see the projector. His response was" Iam in CA." How about someone iemail him and say they are in California and would like to see the projector and see where he says he is this time. He is very quick to respond to emails!

·
Registered
968 Posts
For those of you that did get an email from this seller, look at the message headers and find the IP address the person emailed from. Its usually the IP address on the last "Received:" line but it varies. There are other IP addresses in the header information so sort of look for the last one before the actual message starts. Copy the address and input it into one of the on-line visual trace route web sites like this one:

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

Depending on what kind of internet service the person is using it might very well give an accurate location on the planet... but it doesn't always work.

Mark

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hmmm . . . let's look at the objective evidence.

"Seller" has a "+10" rating, with 12 recorded transactions. What do those tell us?

1. No evidence that "seller" has ever sold a thing.

2. First 8 transactions were concluded in 2000 and 2001. There was then a transaction in November 2002 (as a buyer), and now three consecutive transactions in February, March, and April 2003.

3. The three recent transactions were: (1) A set of $34 sparkplugs

(2) A "chain saw bar" for $23

(3) "chisel chains" for $26

Now, this person who has no record of ever selling a thing, never been involved in a transaction even remotely like a projector (or anything A/V), and, for all intents and purposes, had stopped existing on eBay in 2001 shows up . . .

With a CRT projector.

Sure sounds legitimate to me.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
567 Posts
You people are so sceptical. Look, someone just do exactly as he says and buy-it-now with a wire transfer and see if you get a projector or not. If you don't recieve it then you can be sure it was a scam.

Until then all this is just conjecture.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
How are these guys stealing legitimate user id's ? With the payment terms, its obviously a scam, but how did they get a legit user id ?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
How are these guys stealing legitimate user id's ? With the payment terms, its obviously a scam, but how did they get a legit user id ?
Don't know. My first experience with it was when some fourteen year old kid in Texas acquired a legitimate id (literally could have been a dead relative), and, thankfully, eBay users literally got the police to arrest the kid. He had great deals on Sony ES stuff, though ;)

Identity fraud is something that eBay has warned users about, and many of the frauds on it occur this way. However, A/V enthusiasts are a particularly gullible lot. We're all looking for that great deal on our toys, and there's always someone willing to create that irresistible deal.

I don't know if this seller is for real or not. The texas fraud insisted on payment in the same way as this guy, which, I understand, is untraceable or irretrievable. There's just too many red flags for a product like this for a buyer to be comfortable.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Getting your password is one way. I once had my ID hi-jacked. He got my password using a key-press spy software ( a virus of sorts). He then changed the password on my account and listed several plasma displays out of Madrid, Spain.

I always run a firewall now which prevents this from happening.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just emailed the seller and got this replay:

"Hello,

I am from CT. I accept only money transfers. I will

pay the shipping and insurance with 2nd day delivery

via UPS and you just pay money transfer fees thru

Western Union or Money Gram if you decide to buy.

E-mail me if you have any other questions."

Now it appears that he has moved from Ca. to CT.

What do you think?? If it looks like, smells like a scam, it must be.

=====================

Can't wait til my PJ grows up.

Tony

·
Registered
231 Posts
After he said he was in CT, I emailed him back and said I had a brother in Hartford and could he come by and look at the PJ. Here's the sellers reply:

"I'm sorry I wish I could but I can't do that. It's a

personal issue. I hope this won't be a big

inconvenience. The projector is as I described it and

it will work 100% guaranteed if not I will return your

money. E-mail me if you still want to do this. Thanks."

It's definately a scam!!!

===================

Can't wait til my PJ grows up!!

Tony

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do they get user Password? They e-mail you and say "Warning your EBAY account is about to be canceled, due to inactivity, unless you go to this web site and enter your user id and password. www.istealpasswords.com " How do I know? I got one of these E-mails, and since I use the hell out of my account, I knew better. Just think if they get just 4 out of thousands of E-mails. Well thats 4x$2899= over $10000

I'll bet they get hundreds of passwords. I remember when Playstation 2 came out, around Christmas there were hundreds of people who sent $600 overnight and wound up with nothing. It was this Scam that forced Ebay to Change its "Buy it now" Policy. You must have certain status to use it.

I know some of you look for signs an auction is real, but did you ever think they know all the tricks to make an auction look real? Someone should do a public service and bid $20000 on this auction and as soon as its over leave bad feedback telling everyone this guy is a fraud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.