Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auction #s

3050617770 - 50" Sony plasma for a Buy it Now of $2,450.

3050575353 - same TV but for a little more

3050568262 - same TV for Buy it Now of $2,200

The weird thing is, the sellers have respectable feedback. I've sent questions to the sellers asking how they're able to offer them so low. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Also, if someone knows how to post the links to those three auctions, please do so. For some reason, it won't let me. Thanks.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't about this one but what these criminals do is steal the account of someone with good feedback. I would be very, very careful purchasing a plasma screen off of ebay.

-Jym-

·
Registered
692 Posts
Cmon, some common sense.

Does it seem realistic that a 50" plasma would cost $2,200?

I'm sure you've heard of the phrase..."If it seems to good true..."

Don't ever ever every believe those. What they do is steal Ebay accounts with good ratings and then try and sell with them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
a couple of things...

1. like Jym said , they steal an account with good feedback

2. the sell lots of tiny little things to them selves at very low prices( costing themselves very little in fees) give them selves good feedback...

then go for the kill on some big ticket items....

SO... look at the feedback and at THE LISTINGS the feedback is based on.

be VERY carefull if the feedback is based on lots of small ticket items , or is too old to see the transactions.

keeping these things in mind...I must say I have NEVER had a problem on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I dont care for the pre-approved bidder auctions. I always look for someone who is willing to insure the item, take credit cards, and accept payment by paypal. I like trackability. And nothing from overseas. Also, for big stuff, like a plasma, I would want to see an original ad, pics, and have a contact phone number to the seller, who has no problem giving it. My biggest purchase on Ebay was one of those new Apple powerbooks, loaded as they say, and it was totally smooth. Gotta be careful though. I also have never been burned yet on ebay, but it could easily happen to anyone. Saving a little bit on a high quality item makes sense; deals too good to be true do not make sense, unless stolen stuff or scams seem sensical. Good Luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
These definitely look like hijacked accounts. In the case of the first item you listed the person who owns the account hasn't sold anything since Feb 2002, and mostly buys and sells inexpensive items. In the case of the second one you listed the low price was the starting bid, and could go quite a bit higher, but even so this seller also buys and sells stuff for under $20 mostly. I'm guessing that both of these accounts were hijacked.

Like others I research the sellers and their feedback carefully and have not been burned on eBay. But like everywhere on the internet--Buyer Beware!

Chuck

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I read that. Fake escrow accounts? Wiring money? Handing over your ID and Password? Taking offers to go outside the auction to "save money?" Man. I hope nobody smart enough to be reading on this forum would bite into that!!!

There was an attorney who handles auction scams posting on the apple insider site, he says he gets about 75 cases a month from ebay. I would definetly hesitiate to buy a Plasma via Ebay( as in I wouldn't do it), but I think by following some basic principles, one is pretty safe in general. The 'ole baby with the bathwater' logic I suppose. JMHO

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
BTW-- Ebay was the only way for me to get a new XP30 DVD player that I could find. And I looked. Forgetting it was only 189 and free shipping, I am just glad to have the thing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The following is a reply I got from one of the above sellers. (3050575353)

The email address is [email protected] .

BTW, I've already sent a fraud report to Ebay.

Hello,

I have restricted the possibility to bid on my auction because I have to be sure that the ones who place bids on my items are agreed with the terms of the deal, because , otherwise, it's happend to have a winner for my auction and this one do not be agreed with the terms of the deal , and then I lose time and money for nothing.

I have started a bussines with electronics. Me and my other 2 parteners have decided to use our personal accounts in our try to sell some units on Ebay.

I have more than one TV for sale.We have Sony, Phillips, Panasonic,Pioneer and Marantz TVs ( 32" , 42" and 50" models) and if you are interested in other brands maybe we can help you.

The buy it now price is $3700 with shipment included and you can buy it direct from us.In this price are also included: Wall Kit Mount, Table Stand.

The product is brand new, factory sealed with ALL the accesories.It will come with waranty fully transferable to your name.

It will come with the receipt from the authorized dealer and there will be no problem for you to use the warranty.

Shipping:

I will shipp via UPS, FEDEX, TNT or DHL, but you can choose other mail carrier if you wish .lt usually takes between 2 - 4 days untill the package arrives to your door. I will cover the shipping and insurance costs.I send all our packages having written on them " no comercial value" or as a gift so you don't have to pay any additional taxes. (VAT included)

Payment:

I am a serious seller with more than 2 years of experience in this field.I worked mostly on Live Market, but my experince in Ebay's auctions is also good enough to know how to manage with all actuals problems. l'm a fair trader with a very good feedback on ebay which is the proof that l have closed a lot of sucessful deals.

During this period l learned that the best deals are closed when the risk involved is minimum.

I receive payment by Western Uninon or wire transfer in one of my bank accounts:

American Express

Bank LTD, NY, USA

The Bank of New York,

NY, USA

You will receive all detailes about bank accounts only if you decide to continue with this deal.

Here are my name and adress you need for the western union transfer:

First name: Abrudan

Last name: Iulian

Address: 1280 Foulk Road

Zip code: 19803

City: Wilmington

Region: Delaware

The product is ready for shipment i just need your deposit confirmation your exact adress and it will be delivered to you immediatelly.

Thank you for your interest.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I think I will just quit providing useful links, since many decide not to read them, and then turn around and post the same info.

Geesh

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, just got another response:

hello and thank you for your interest,

I been asked how i could offer this items at this excelent price, so here is the simple truth: I have a very good friend who work for a charity foundation in Scandinavia.The product is brand new sealed in its original box.They receive many items monthly from donations from reach people or big corporations. They resell this

items, at a very low price. I bought this from them and now I sell with a resonable profit for me. Warranty is international,and transferable to the buyer name. If you are interested please reply me and i'll provide you with the safest payment method possible.The unit is made for US system and all is in english.My business is now in Madrid,Spain.

The price is 2200$

P.S. I want to tell you that i restricted the buyers to bid on my auction because in the past the buyers win my auction and finaly they never pay me.I hope you understand the situation.

Robert Young

AVENIDA ALBUFERA 37

MADRID , SPAIN 28013

Warm Regards've ,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello. My father is General Amman Amenpour of The People's Republic of Southern Guam. I have one million dollars that I want to transfer to you and then we split it. But first you must send me $10,000 U.S. for expenses or I not do it. Please you P/M to me tonight so I tell you how to send U.S. money.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One good strategy is a simple "I have a family member in Delaware. I would like to have them drop buy your buisness and check out the unit you're selling. When would be a convenient time?"

Most of the time you'll get no reply.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bottom line...I don't care if the POPE was selling a plasma on E-Bay. No way. Another good indication of something squirely is the broken English, grammatical errors, etc. I must say, however, that there MAY be 1 or 2 legitimate people trying to unload an old model...but it's not worth the risk of getting burned trying to find out which one it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.