AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have a 45xx series machine and I am thinking that I should upgrade from 45xx to 50xx since there is a larger base of users for 50xx than 45xx and if I miss a show, I have a greater chance that a 50xx user will have it than a 45xx user.

I found on eBay a number of 50xx replayTVs for sale.

Any advice other than ensuring that it has a lifetime activation that I have to watch out for when I make a bid for replayTV 50xx machine? Can I buy a machine without lifetime activation and pay the sonic blue guys to activate it?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Can I buy a machine without lifetime activation and pay the sonic blue guys to activate it?
that would be the preferred method, if you buy a machine with lifetime they could easily transfer the lifetime off it to a different machine after you have bought it, since replay only requires a phonecall to transfer.

go with a monthly sub for $6.95, hard to beat that when compared to a full lifetime sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the original poster of this thread.

Really, the only really good reason that I wish to switch is that rtvedit can automatically cut out the commercials when making a new mpg file. The secondary reason is to swap shows with other users.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My friend just recently upgraded from a 4040 to a 5040 and has no regrets. He got tired of being left out of the poopli fun. I don't know official stats, but it seems that there are a lot more 50xx users on poopli.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I think that there are just a lot more 5k users...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rm -rf *.*
I think that there are just a lot more 5k users...
Aren't ALL (well, OK, almost all) 5k users on Poopli 50xx users now that DNNA has fixed the loophole on 55xx RTVs? Or have a missed some important info?

(Yes, I am aware that there is a hack using an older 55xx image and WIRNS, but that negates some of the simplicity that makes RTV so desirable. As I have an upgraded 5040 and a 5516, I not going to bother with complex hacks for the 5516.)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFussy
Aren't ALL (well, OK, almost all) 5k users on Poopli 50xx users now that DNNA has fixed the loophole on 55xx RTVs? Or have a missed some important info?
I believe that Poopli supports 4XXX users too

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arcadefreaque
I believe that Poopli supports 4XXX users too
I believe the first post in this thread established that:
Quote:
Originally posted by blondangel
.... since there is a larger base of users for 50xx than 45xx and if I miss a show ....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
I believe the first post in this thread established that:
AND?

I was simply restating the fact to the person that I quoted since he seemed to be confused about that fact. Maybe I misunderstood his question, but it appeared that he didn't realize that there were 4xxx users on Poopli since he was trying to establish where the rest of the userbase came from since all 5xxx users were 50xx users.

·
Registered
433 Posts
To the original poster, do the upgrade. You won't regret it.

I wouldn't have said that back when the 5000's first came out. Man, how unstable and BAD the original software was for them. I really did stop recommending replays for a while. But thank goodness, that is no longer the case.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arcadefreaque
AND?

I was simply restating the fact to the person that I quoted since he seemed to be confused about that fact. Maybe I misunderstood his question, but it appeared that he didn't realize that there were 4xxx users on Poopli since he was trying to establish where the rest of the userbase came from since all 5xxx users were 50xx users.
You totally missed the point - what's he's saying is that because it has become so much tougher to make IVS work on 55xx units, most Poopli users have true 5000-series units with CA & IVS.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
You totally missed the point
Yes, I did miss the point. Sorry for the confusion :(

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
You totally missed the point - what's he's saying is that because it has become so much tougher to make IVS work on 55xx units, most Poopli users have true 5000-series units with CA & IVS.
Correct, that was the point I was trying to make, but the others were right that I was not thinking of the 4xxx audience. Strange really, 'cos I still have one of those in my collection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.