AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12159776

Your woodworking skills have come a long ways, those guys are really well done, did you brace them as well as your last project?

Thanks!

Yes, they are braced very well. I wish I would have taken some more photos during the process.
The baffles and tops are 1.5" (3" thick if you count the recessed panels) thick and the bottoms are 1 1/4". The sides are only 3/4" but they are so small and have two braces on them. There are magent braces as well. These things are tanks before adding the 80lb driver. That is why I designed them around the height of the heavy duty casters.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Those look great Joe! With the ease of moving them on the casters, do they shake a lot? My next enclosure may have to be living room friendly also, thats a great camouflage. Have you tried cutting the high frequencies rather than boosting the low? I don't remember what EQ you use.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 /forum/post/12160196

Those look great Joe! With the ease of moving them on the casters, do they shake a lot? My next enclosure may have to be living room friendly also, thats a great camouflage. Have you tried cutting the high frequencies rather than boosting the low? I don't remember what EQ you use.

Thanks price!

Well, put it this way, they are "easier" to move. They are still sitting fairly firmly on the floor becasue after a few mintues the casters sink into the carpet/pad and the legs are resting solidly on the floor. The casters help after you kind of lift up to get them started rolling then they move more easily. Once in place they don't move much if any.

I didn't really try cutting the highs since I only need two bands to boost the lows and would need several to cut the highs. I am using an SMS-1.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12159711

btp, I chose the LMS becasue I was originally seeking the best SQ I could get because I was going after a DD-18. So, I was already prepared to spend some cash so when the original LMS came up I snagged it. I had heard that the SQ was great on the LMS so I figured I would start there and work my way up as I went. After all, it is easier to upgrade the electronics... It works great in small sealed enclosures and that is what I really wanted. I crammed one into a

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Great Job there jpmst3... Im really excited to get my project with cherrywood going...

Did you just glue all the wood strips together, or did you use dowels...

Looks beautiful.. congrats !!!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/12162701

Great Job there jpmst3... Im really excited to get my project with cherrywood going...

Did you just glue all the wood strips together, or did you use dowels...

Looks beautiful.. congrats !!!

Thanks Warp!

On some things I used biscuits, some scews and glue, and others just glue/liquid nails. It just really depends on how accessible the back side was on what I needed to attach.

What are you planning on building?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno333 /forum/post/12164625

Those look incredible Joe!

A very fine addition to the living room.

Hey Thanks!

Not too bad for an amatuer. There are always things you wish you could do better. It can be very rewarding to build rather than just buy. Of course, it can be frustrating too.
But, I like the process of learning as well. The next one will be better yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've also got a pair of 18" LMS5400 with the titanium cones. They were originally all titanium when the prices were at $1250 (shipped) apiece, which is what I paid. They gave up on getting the titanium cones later from what I recall

and then dropped the price to $875. Stock was then good and lots of people pulled the trigger. Truly awsome driver regardless of color. But I definitely like the asthetics of the titanium better.

Allan

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 /forum/post/12166131

I've also got a pair of 18" LMS5400 with the titanium cones. They were originally all titanium when the prices were at $1250 (shipped) apiece, which is what I paid. They gave up on getting the titanium cones later from what I recall

and then dropped the price to $875. Stock was then good and lots of people pulled the trigger. Truly awsome driver regardless of color. But I definitely like the asthetics of the titanium better.

Allan

Yep, the titanium is no doubt far superior. I was lucky enough to get one super cheap. Unfortunately, a second was not available at the time.

I really don't care so much about the color, but the strength difference is night and day...

What kind of setup do you have your LMSs in?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The black definitely dissappears more easily in most situations...if that is what you are after. I just wish they would have offered the black coating on the Ti cone.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12156913

I ended up with one titanium cone and one black aluminum. I wish I could have gotten a second titanium cone. Man, it is definitely several times stiffer than the aluminum version, nearly indestructable in comparison.

When did TC Sounds make an LMS with a black aluminium cone? I mean weren't those last ones black powder coated titanium cones?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer /forum/post/12175393

When did TC Sounds make an LMS with a black aluminium cone? I mean weren't those last ones black powder coated titanium cones?

I am not exactly sure Richard. I think they originally went from Al to Ti, then because of flaws went to powder coated Ti, then ultimately to Al again. I am not sure of how it all unfolded. But, it seems most thing TC related are a mystery.

One thing I do know for sure is that when I had both drivers out side by side, I pressed on the cone from the back side with my finger and I could easily move the entire Ti cone and could not see any deformation on the front regardless of how hard I pressed. On the black cone, I could actually reverse dent the cone by pushing on it with some force. Nowhere near the strength and rigidity. I guess it is possible that it was just thinner or something.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12175484

I am not exactly sure Richard. I think they originally went from Al to Ti, then because of flaws went to powder coated Ti, then ultimately to Al again. I am not sure of how it all unfolded. But, it seems most thing TC related are a mystery.

One thing I do know for sure is that when I had both drivers out side by side, I pressed on the cone from the back side with my finger and I could easily move the entire Ti cone and could not see any deformation on the front regardless of how hard I pressed. On the black cone, I could actually reverse dent the cone by pushing on it with some force. Nowhere near the strength and rigidity. I guess it is possible that it was just thinner or something.

No no, that sounds like aluminium. I just didn't know such things were ever made. I'm thinking there might not be many of those...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mayer /forum/post/12175526

No no, that sounds like aluminium. I just didn't know such things were ever made. I'm thinking there might not be many of those...

Maybe I will contact Kyle for some clarification.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12175772

Maybe I will contact Kyle for some clarification.

I was thinking the same thing Richard was. I didnt know they ever went to Al from Ti.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd /forum/post/12175984

I was thinking the same thing Richard was. I didnt know they ever went to Al from Ti.

Of course, I could easily be wrong. Perhaps I was just seeing the differences in flex due to the color and/or lighting/reflectivity. But, they sure seemed very different to me, so I dunno.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12176046

Of course, I could easily be wrong. Perhaps I was just seeing the differences in flex due to the color and/or lighting/reflectivity. But, they sure seemed very different to me, so I dunno.

Nah, from what you say you sound dead on.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts